South Dakota- Very Tough Hunt

sman

Glynn Maddox, my dad, and I made a trip up to South Dakota to hunt the Black Hills. There was a ton of snow already on the ground and a snow storm by the name of Zeus hit our first full day there. It dumped probably between 12-18" inches of snow on us. We had to abondon the Hills and make a trip Southeast for Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Glynn was able to take a nice tom before we did though.

The hunting was tough and the snow made the terrain really challenging. If you want to hunt the Hills go in May. If you decide to hit Pine Indian Reservation let me tell you that you can't go wrong. Even with the terrible weather and the fact that we didn't get to start hunting until 10am we saw tons of birds. They had gotten back into their winter groups which made it tough but man they were there. If you go let me help you out some. First the permit office is in Kyle, SD and their number is 605-455-2530. A guide is required. He doesn't hunt with you, just takes you to areas where he knows the birds are. We had a great one by the name of Lance. His number is 605-454-3503. There is one motel in Kyle and it has a restaurant. The owners brother is named Randy and he guides as well. We met two hunters there that had just gotten a bird. They said they had a flock of over 125 come into their set up.

The best I had was 2 strutters in a creek bottom at 60 and I called a flock of 20-30 birds in from another hill side and my birds left. But it was awesome watching 7 birds strutting and gobbling like crazy at 125 out on the side of snow covered pasture. Hunt of a lifetime. Glynn and I, both were able to take birds. Dad got close but his knee and hearing held him back a little. The full story of the hunt is on GSN. Here are some of the pics though.

Attachments

• glynnsd.jpg
    glynnsd.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 968
  • sdelkbird.jpg
    sdelkbird.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 975
  • sdglynn2.jpg
    sdglynn2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 959
  • sdyrdbirds.jpg
    sdyrdbirds.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 930
  • sdzeus.jpg
    sdzeus.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:

sman

Some more.

Attachments

• sdsnowtree.jpg
    sdsnowtree.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 928
  • sdsnowtree2.jpg
    sdsnowtree2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 926
  • sdsnow.jpg
    sdsnow.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 947
  • sd1sthill.jpg
    sd1sthill.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 914
  • sdtom1.jpg
    sdtom1.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 920

sman

Let me add this, locals must love to feed the birds cause they stay blowed up in their yards everywhere. And deer...unreal!!! No telling how many we saw. The first day you are like, LOOK THERE IS A DEER! By the end of the first day you have seen so many you ignore them. On this trip I saw elk, mule deer, whitetail, grouse, phesant, turkey, bison, a skunk, prairie dogs, antelope, and sheep. A few more pics.

Attachments

• sdsunset.jpg
    sdsunset.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 941
  • sdsunrise.jpg
    sdsunrise.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 899
  • sdroad.jpg
    sdroad.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 964
  • sdpr1.jpg
    sdpr1.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 900
  • sdrams.jpg
    sdrams.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 930

Luke0927

some guys were down from our South Dakota site a couple weeks ago when the big ice storm came though...they've had a heck of a winter...Looks cold but still looks like a good time.

sman

Last set...

Attachments

• sdrush.jpg
    sdrush.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 947
  • snowhill.jpg
    snowhill.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 912
  • yardbird.jpg
    yardbird.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 978
  • snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 930

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
wow!!!! very impressive!!!!!

my wife probably didn't want me to see that and add another to do adventure on my list!!!!

sman

Tell her to make sure your life insurance policy is up to date. All that snow brought the pucker factor off the scale.

RUNnGUN

I along with 4 more are headed out to hunt the last 4 days of the season. Maybe the weather will clear up a little.

hawglips

Banned
Wow. I've hunted turkeys in snow before, but not like that...

lilbassinlady

WOW AWESOME AWESOME PICTURES!!! Loved them!! Thank you very much for sharing!

That's pretty cool... I would love to have a couple buddy's and do that... Memories!!!

sman

By the way a big thanks to Jimmy aka timberchicken for help on the black hills.

Another to Zach Phillips for recommending Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

Last edited:

sman

Bump for my dad to see. Sorry guys.

BASS1FUN

Congrats, i've been wanting to go to the black hills and turkey hunt since the mid 90's, i've deer hunted it but haven't been able to make it back to turkey hunt, nice pics, beautiful place with snow on the ground

sman

Congrats, i've been wanting to go to the black hills and turkey hunt since the mid 90's, i've deer hunted it but haven't been able to make it back to turkey hunt, nice pics, beautiful place with snow on the ground

Weather is truly a gamble when you go. Last year at the time we went it was 80. If you go in April expect some snow. We just got unlucky.

tcoker

WTG!! I agree, If you go, go in May. Winter flocks can be very tough.