GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 PM

Default Curious visitor. Copper headed water rattler

Had this beauty swim by the boat today while fishing the south river. Ended up with one striper about 10# for my niece.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 PM

At least we know how to catch solid stripes on Jackson!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 PM

My 12 yr old nieces 10# striper.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 PM

Nice.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:38 AM

Nice pics.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Nice striper!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 AM

My fishing would have stopped and heard a shot rang out lol nice fish
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadestroyer74 View Post
My fishing would have stopped and heard a shot rang out lol nice fish
Do you just get on here every morning and look for all the snake threads so you can tell everyone how you are going to kill every snake you see from now on?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 PM

I go by new post do u get on here just to fuss with me about snakes ?? Seems it post staking me
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM

Since the snake's body is on top of the water while swimming, does that mean it is poisonous? I've always heard that was the case.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEG60 View Post
Since the snake's body is on top of the water while swimming, does that mean it is poisonous? I've always heard that was the case.
That is the way I have always determined the difference.

This one was definitely a water moccasin we got a good look at her and she was gorgeous... by the time i could get my camera ready she swam off... my neice was like... hey uncle andy look at that snake. It's huge..... she was probably big around as my wrists and long as I am tall... gorgeous snake just swinmming along
Old 05-16-2013, 02:23 PM

Ur more of a man than I could have been.. Them jokers never bothered mr toll I got myself bit now I'm scared to death of them
Old 05-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadestroyer74 View Post
Ur more of a man than I could have been.. Them jokers never bothered mr toll I got myself bit now I'm scared to death of them
I would never kill a harmless critter in the wild, however I got home last night and one had made its way in the garage and needless to say it is now headless and hanging on a tree...
Granny used to say if you beheaded a snake and hang it to a tree it's spirit would warn other snakes to stay away. I must say that I only kill one a year and never see another the rest of summer... Had a copperhead coil up at my gf last spring on our carport and I beheaded it and never saw another snake... I figure fair trade for almost killing mgf from heart attack and killing my cat.! Copperheads are beautiful to look at but will ruin the day of a yard cat
Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM

I heard that I don't know if I could even touch one now use to I prolly could not now. I never heard that maybe I could use a 20 ft stick lol I don't go looking for them just to shoot one however if they cross me I'm not taking any chances ... Good job Andy on all it fishing success. U and Nikki sure have wore them out seems like a perfect match to me
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazywayne View Post
Had this beauty swim by the boat today while fishing the south river. Ended up with one striper about 10# for my niece.
nice snake, doesn't really look like a cottonmouth to me, looks like it's got its head up out of the water trying to look the part, but it seems aweful long and slender to be a cottonmouth moccasin, just my opinion. I enjoy the snake photos, keep 'em coming.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:11 PM

hard to tell but the snake does not look like a water moccasin

http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/water...mparison.shtml
Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 PM

I wish I had my camera sooner. I am 95% sure it was a moccassin It came right up to the boat and it was really thick. I may be wrong but either way a beautiful snake
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 PM

roger that, good catch with the camera anyway
Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dead River View Post
nice snake, doesn't really look like a cottonmouth to me, looks like it's got its head up out of the water trying to look the part, but it seems aweful long and slender to be a cottonmouth moccasin, just my opinion. I enjoy the snake photos, keep 'em coming.
Haha funny man
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 PM

Thats no cottonmouth. Way to skinny, and WAY too long to be. Most cottonmouths only grow to be 3-4 feet long with a very thick body. I'm sure there are some out there that grow longer, but this one is definitely too slender.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 PM

After zooming in on the pic for a closer look, that looks to me like a Rat Snake. It doesn't even have a diamond shaped head, which on a cottonmouth is VERY pronounced. Most cottonmouths only grow to be 3-4 feet long and have a very thick body. This one is definitely not a cottonmouth, but still a beautiful snake.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazywayne View Post
Copperheads are beautiful to look at but will ruin the day of a yard cat
my calico shows up about oncet a year with half her head all swelled up, and she's about 4yo now.

what kind of snake is making her noggin swell up?

do you reckon she is winning, or losing?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:07 PM

Beautiful picture, whatever it is the muddy water really makes it pop. Regardless what kind it is I assume every snake is going to cause me a slow and painful death... So I just scream like a girl and run the opposite direction.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 PM

we were at a park the other day and had a long black snake with white rings around it cross the pond and charge up the bank towards us. It also had it's head elevated when it was swimming, ya know like a cottonmouth does - they elevate their head sort of like a cobra when in the water. This was no cottonmouth but it seemed to be acting like one, trying to be intimidating.

I've come very close to some cottonmouth moccasins, diamond shaped head, they have a black stripe on either side of their face, and they will chase you. We had one come after us below Hamburg mill dam last year, not cool. Another time boat came up on one roosting on a blowdown at bearcamp, i could've gotten a time life photo of that snake.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEG60 View Post
I can't think of any physical difference or scientific basis for that to be the case. There are no physical differences between the bodies of venomous and non-venomous snakes. I've seen plenty of non-venomous snakes swim on top of the water, especially species of non-venomous water snakes.

I've kept snakes as pets for decades and have no fear of any snake. I've been bitten by pet snakes (non-venomous) more times than I can count and it's FAR worse to get scratched by a cat! I had a big 7 foot boa that bit my hand while I was giving it some injections (so yes, I deserved it, from his point of view) and it was about like getting caught in some briars and bled more like a shaving cut. It was nothing. Most snakes are completely harmless and if a harmless one did bite you, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. If he bit you on your pants or shoe, it wouldn't even penetrate the cloth. They have tiny teeth.

It doesn't take much effort to get educated on the kinds of snakes we have in GA to set fears aside for those who are afraid of snakes. That being said there are plenty of water snakes that look a great deal like cottonmouths for a good reason, but again they are harmless and serve an important role in nature. A little studying might save some folks a scary moment and save a few harmless snakes their lives.

I used to fish a little trout stream that had a beaver pond on it and little harmless snakes would swim back and forth across it all day. One day I was wading in this beaver pond and a little snake was headed straight for me. Snakes have very poor eyesight, so I knew exactly what he'd do when he got close enough, because snakes will flee when they are able. I know that as a fact from keeping them so many years, but just like anyone, snakes can be cranky and in a bad mood sometimes. So anyway, this little snake swims right up to me and then freezes like, "OH crap" when he sees what I am, figuring I'm about to make a meal out of him. He does a 180 and swims right back to where he came from - having floated on the water the entire time, by the way. Exactly what I knew he would do. Snakes are no big deal once you understand them. You're 6 feet tall, he's like maybe 3 inches tall. Who's the one that should be scared?