GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Default Savage 11VT or Remington 700 SPS Tactical

Question???

First off...I'm not trying to start a discussion on who would or wouldn't buy a gun from Dicks Sporting Goods so lets please don't go there!!!

I was at Dicks the other day for the first time since the Sandy Hooks Shooting. Anyway, I saw the new Savage 11VT in .308. The guy said it was exclusively sold at Dicks. It seemed like a pretty nice gun. It was only $499.00 and came with a decent little Bushnell 4x12 scope.

I have been looking for some time now for a cheap entry level precision rifle. I can't seem to decide on the Savage or the Remington SPS Tactical or the SPS Varmit. The Savage is $150.00 cheaper than the SPS Tactical and comes with a scope. Everything I've read about the SPS is that it needs a $200+++ stock to it. I will also have to purchase a scope, rings, and base. The SPS Varmit seems to be a very good shooter and falls around the same price point.

Can anyone chime in on the Savage? How is the stock, trigger, and overall performance of the weapon?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 AM

I had a SPS varmint in 308. It shot well, but I didn't like the stock at all.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:09 PM

Obviously I have a preference as does everyone else here. Its Ford vs Chevy and you will have to decide what you like.

I like the way the Savages are put together. They have a floating bolt nose that allows it (theoretically) to align with the chamber. The Savage extractor is slightly beefier. The Savage bolt handles are mechanically interlocked to the bolt and not just relying on silver solder to keep them on. Savage also uses a barrel nut to make the rifles cheaper to build, as it (and the firing pin) can be adjusted for correct headspace.

Last edited by TrailBlazinMan; 06-26-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM

I have not shot the Savage, but I am very impressed with my 700 SPS Tactical. It shoots .3 MOA groups with handloads, but it does have an aftermarket stock (would recommend upgrading the Hogue stock if you get one).

The answer to your question really depends on what you want to use it for, and a cost benefit analysis. If you want a good platform to build a gun that has the same capabilities of many high end custom guns, then the 700 SPS Tactical is a solid option. But that means spending money on upgrades. If you want a stock gun to just shoot for fun or hunt with the Savage will probably give you more bang or the buck.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:01 PM

rem700 270 kills a deer at over 700
Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 PM

The Savage rifle is a better rifle. The Accu trigger and Accu free floating stock make for a good off the shelf rifle. At 100 yards quarter size groupings is doable.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:09 PM

My best Whitetail (doe) shot with my Savage 111 fcns LH in .308, Nikon Monarch 4-16-50 bdc and Hornady Superformance 150 gr SST's. 425 yards. No mods. Not spectacular but not to shabby either.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:09 PM

I own and have owned a good many savages but only owned a couple of remingtons. Does that tell you anything?
I vote #6