GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Political Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 PM
elfiii's Avatar
elfiii elfiii is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The country formerly known as America
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default Government Shutdown?

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen, place your bets.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...over-obamacare
__________________
"The World is fine. The circus just won't leave town." - PopPop
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Otis's Avatar
Otis Otis is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pluto
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Boehner likes his job to much to take on the Tea Party. Dems cave setting '14 Battle Rama!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM
elfiii's Avatar
elfiii elfiii is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The country formerly known as America
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Boehner likes his job to much to take on the Tea Party.
It's more like he's got a tiger by the tail and he can't let go.
__________________
"The World is fine. The circus just won't leave town." - PopPop
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Miguel Cervantes Miguel Cervantes is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wadin the Creek
iTrader: (8) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I would love to see it, but they all sing soprano, so it'll never happen.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Otis's Avatar
Otis Otis is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pluto
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cervantes View Post
I would love to see it, but they all sing soprano, so it'll never happen.

Its going to happen, one side has to cave. The only attempt at a saving grace for the Dems to to kick the can (obamacare) down the road to '17 and then run the risk of losing it all.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 PM
biggsteve's Avatar
biggsteve biggsteve is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: cleveland, georgia
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Its going to happen, one side has to cave. The only attempt at a saving grace for the Dems to to kick the can (obamacare) down the road to '17 and then run the risk of losing it all.
or...dump the whole thing in hillary's lap.

cause we all know there's no rep worth a hoot running against her...lol
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 PM
elfiii's Avatar
elfiii elfiii is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The country formerly known as America
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsteve View Post
or...dump the whole thing in hillary's lap.

cause we all know there's no rep worth a hoot running against her...lol
It won't make it that far. ObamaCare is toast by 2015. The people will be fed up with it by then.
__________________
"The World is fine. The circus just won't leave town." - PopPop
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM
pbradley's Avatar
pbradley pbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Look behind you
iTrader: (7) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiii View Post
It won't make it that far. ObamaCare is toast by 2015. The people will be fed up with it by then.
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/07/obam...hows_most.html
__________________
reasonable, common sense anarchist
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2013, 07:12 PM
elfiii's Avatar
elfiii elfiii is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The country formerly known as America
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley View Post
So in 2015 it will be 66% in favor of repeal once the 30% gets a clue.
__________________
"The World is fine. The circus just won't leave town." - PopPop
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 PM
ClemsonRangers's Avatar
ClemsonRangers ClemsonRangers is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SC
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

boehner has added $3,000,000,000,000 to the national debt

he will cry, have a drink, and give barry whatever he wants
__________________
we keep you alive to serve this ship
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 PM
alaustin1865's Avatar
alaustin1865 alaustin1865 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Carrollton, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonRangers View Post
boehner has added $3,000,000,000,000 to the national debt

he will cry, have a drink, and give barry whatever he wants
Don't forget the cigarette in there too. For real though, have we not heard this same song and dance over and over again?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-24-2013, 05:43 AM
drhunter1's Avatar
drhunter1 drhunter1 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nunya
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

No. Aint gonna happen.
__________________
I'm here to kill threads and chew gum and I'm all out of gum.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 AM
TerryGwinnett's Avatar
TerryGwinnett TerryGwinnett is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gwinnett, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

This is stupid. One side of congress passes a law and the other side of congress refuses to allow funds. How does the richest nation on earth have such a dysfunctional bunch of yahoos in charge? Obamacare, as horrible as it is, is law. Congress has a duty to provide funds for the laws that they pass. If a majority in congress doesn't like the law, then they should repeal it. Keeping a law on the books while not allowing it to be implemented is just assinine.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 AM
mtr3333's Avatar
mtr3333 mtr3333 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Where ever I am there I go
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGwinnett View Post
This is stupid. One side of congress passes a law and the other side of congress refuses to allow funds. How does the richest nation on earth have such a dysfunctional bunch of yahoos in charge? Obamacare, as horrible as it is, is law. Congress has a duty to provide funds for the laws that they pass. If a majority in congress doesn't like the law, then they should repeal it. Keeping a law on the books while not allowing it to be implemented is just assinine.
Apathy. Welcome to the output of the me 1st input.
__________________
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 AM
hawglips's Avatar
hawglips hawglips is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NC
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGwinnett View Post
This is stupid. One side of congress passes a law and the other side of congress refuses to allow funds. How does the richest nation on earth have such a dysfunctional bunch of yahoos in charge?
1) We the people found we could vote ourselves money.
2) We the people are no longer virtuous or educated.
__________________
From a republic of free men, to a nanny state of free stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 AM
gemcgrew's Avatar
gemcgrew gemcgrew is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: East Texas
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr3333 View Post
Apathy. Welcome to the output of the me 1st input.
Sig line alert!

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 AM
JB0704's Avatar
JB0704 JB0704 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGwinnett View Post
How does the richest nation on earth have such a dysfunctional bunch of yahoos in charge?
Our system of gov't is no longer functional. Too many people are able to spread too much bad information before it can be countered. "Spin" wins. Once a person believes it, it's true, and contrary thoughts and comments become the enemy. A guy can run on promises, and never deliver, yet still be elected by painting the opposition as the one keeping the promise from being fulfilled.

Oh, and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawglips
2) We the people are no longer virtuous or educated.
__________________
"Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge" - Patches O'Houlihan
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 AM
alaustin1865's Avatar
alaustin1865 alaustin1865 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Carrollton, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGwinnett View Post
This is stupid. One side of congress passes a law and the other side of congress refuses to allow funds. How does the richest nation on earth have such a dysfunctional bunch of yahoos in charge? Obamacare, as horrible as it is, is law. Congress has a duty to provide funds for the laws that they pass. If a majority in congress doesn't like the law, then they should repeal it. Keeping a law on the books while not allowing it to be implemented is just assinine.
The country is just as disfuctional. Congress is just a representation of ourselves.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM
ClemsonRangers's Avatar
ClemsonRangers ClemsonRangers is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SC
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGwinnett View Post
This is stupid. One side of congress passes a law and the other side of congress refuses to allow funds. How does the richest nation on earth have such a dysfunctional bunch of yahoos in charge? Obamacare, as horrible as it is, is law. Congress has a duty to provide funds for the laws that they pass. If a majority in congress doesn't like the law, then they should repeal it. Keeping a law on the books while not allowing it to be implemented is just assinine.
i wonder why the 700 miles of border fence from 1986 were never built
__________________
we keep you alive to serve this ship
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:02 AM
redtail's Avatar
redtail redtail is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Habersham Co. Ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonRangers View Post
boehner has added $3,000,000,000,000 to the national debt

he will cry, have a drink, and give barry whatever he wants
this. for the same reason he's covering barry on Benghazi
__________________
We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate. VOTE!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:12 AM
bigreddwon's Avatar
bigreddwon bigreddwon is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The southern part of Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawglips View Post
1) We the people found we could vote ourselves money.
2) We the people are no longer virtuous or educated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaustin1865 View Post
The country is just as disfuctional. Congress is just a representation of ourselves.
^^^ this ^^^

__________________
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 PM
elfiii's Avatar
elfiii elfiii is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The country formerly known as America
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGwinnett View Post
Congress has a duty to provide funds for the laws that they pass.
Not to nit pick or anything but can you cite the clause of the Constitution that says this?

Our Founders were smart. They set up our government in such a manner if there is not an agreement by the majority of the government nothing happens.

In the absence of repealing ObamaCare I will settle for the meantime on refusing to fund it and hazard a government shut down which I would consider to be a good thing. Every day the government is shut down is one less day they can do something to us. Where's the downside in that? A couple of weeks of unfettered liberty would be a refreshing change and it just might catch on with the rest of the country.
__________________
"The World is fine. The circus just won't leave town." - PopPop
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 PM
David Parker David Parker is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Martinez, Ga
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiii View Post
Not to nit pick or anything but can you cite the clause of the Constitution that says this?

Our Founders were smart. They set up our government in such a manner if there is not an agreement by the majority of the government nothing happens.

In the absence of repealing ObamaCare I will settle for the meantime on refusing to fund it and hazard a government shut down which I would consider to be a good thing. Every day the government is shut down is one less day they can do something to us. Where's the downside in that? A couple of weeks of unfettered liberty would be a refreshing change and it just might catch on with the rest of the country.
u sure yer jez part fringe Lib?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 PM
TerryGwinnett's Avatar
TerryGwinnett TerryGwinnett is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gwinnett, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiii View Post
Not to nit pick or anything but can you cite the clause of the Constitution that says this?

Our Founders were smart. They set up our government in such a manner if there is not an agreement by the majority of the government nothing happens.
No, not off hand. I'm not really disposed to research it right now either, but I'm willing to stipulate it's not explicitly written.

The founders set up a government that required the agreement of all three branches, as bodies, and not necessarily the agreement of the majority of government. To whit, congress passed the law, the president signed the law and the supreme court ruled the law constitutional. Whether or not you and I agree with the law, it has been agreed upon by all three branches. A petulant minority of members of congress (with whom I happen to agree on the contents of the law) preventing the application of the law by denying funding, while shutting down legitimate government, is no more acceptable than the president unilaterally moving to delay implementation of certain parts of the law. The law should either be repealed or amended through correct channels or it should be implemented as passed. We have procedures for each and they should be followed.

I hate to say it, because it sounds cliche, but we would never stand for this kind of action if it was being performed by Democrats to prevent implementation of a law we favor.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-24-2013, 03:19 PM
elfiii's Avatar
elfiii elfiii is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The country formerly known as America
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGwinnett View Post
No, not off hand. I'm not really disposed to research it right now either, but I'm willing to stipulate it's not explicitly written.
You would be correct in your stipulation. In fact, the only references applicable are in Article 1, Section 7:

Quote:
All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.
and Article 1, Section 9:

Quote:
No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and
Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.
Note the proscription against spending taxpayer money without an appropriation made by law, passed by both houses of Congress and signed by the President.

It is another one of those ingenious "checks and balances" the founders built into the Constitution. There is no mandate because a law is in effect the Congress must fund it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGwinnett View Post
The founders set up a government that required the agreement of all three branches, as bodies, and not necessarily the agreement of the majority of government. To whit, congress passed the law, the president signed the law and the supreme court ruled the law constitutional. Whether or not you and I agree with the law, it has been agreed upon by all three branches. A petulant minority of members of congress (with whom I happen to agree on the contents of the law) preventing the application of the law by denying funding, while shutting down legitimate government, is no more acceptable than the president unilaterally moving to delay implementation of certain parts of the law. The law should either be repealed or amended through correct channels or it should be implemented as passed. We have procedures for each and they should be followed.
I gather from what you are saying here you are a "Stare Decisis" (settled law) man. the fact is there is no such thing as Stare Decisis in our constitutional, representative republic. No sitting Congress can bind future Congresses and no court decision is the final say.

The current sitting Congress did not pass ObamaCare, nor is there any legal mandate they fund it. The power of the purse is another check and balance.

The founders were brilliant in putting as much obstructionism as they could into the Constitution. We should thank them for it. They knew what happens when you get "Government Gone Wild" and they wanted to do everything they could to keep it from happening then and now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGwinnett View Post
I hate to say it, because it sounds cliche, but we would never stand for this kind of action if it was being performed by Democrats to prevent implementation of a law we favor.
They have done it before and we have lived with it and they will do it again. The difference is when the Republicans do it the Democrats and their willing, sycophantic co-conspirators in the press call it "Obstructionism" and they make it stick but the reverse isn't true.

Nothing would please me more than to have the government completely shut down for 6 months. That would be long enough for most people to realize we don't need them anyway.
__________________
"The World is fine. The circus just won't leave town." - PopPop
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger