How many of you shoot the Federal fusion bullets?

Arrow3

I wanting to get away from ballistic tips. I was looking at the Federal fusion at academy this afternoon and liked the looks of it. $26 a box isn't top bad either. I've been shooting the Winchester ballistic silver tips. Although I've had good luck killing two big bucks with them I'm always scared of a closer shot and having the lack of a blood trail.

00Beau

I shoot them in my 300wsm. I have not lost a deer yet. Been shooting them 3 years now I believe.

swalker1517

Been shooting them for years out of my 25-06. Great bullet. But its hard to find for that caliber.

dtala

130gr in a 270Win and 95gr in a 243Win, both good bullets with good expansion AND penetration.

firebreather

Hornady sst , stick with the best

Jonnyhunter

Hands down WORST bullet I have shot. I shot a couple does this past season perfectly with them with my 30-06 and both ran 50yds. I have never had a deer run with any of the Remington Cor Loks.

K80

Hands down WORST bullet I have shot. I shot a couple does this past season perfectly with them with my 30-06 and both ran 50yds. I have never had a deer run with any of the Remington Cor Loks.

Odds are that is due to shot placement. Most deer shot in the heart and lungs will run where as, a shot to the upper shoulder will end up DRT as the spinal cord is clipped.

I've had great luck with fusion and cor loks.

Klondike

I like them. I also like this brass to reload - good primer pockets on the federal

sgrantham

I started shooting them last year and was real happy with them, 150 gr. in 270

Last edited:

mtstephens18

hate them!!! I havent lost a deer in years, and switched to them, lost 3 (I believe) in one season. heart shot one, luckily I found it but it didnt bleed a single drop..... very accurate, but no expansion.....the ones I did find, were "pin-holed" entrance and exit

AParker511

I shot two does with them last year in my 30-30. One was DRT and the other went about 40 yards but that was my fault. It was a bad shot.

Arrow3

I'm strongly against core lokts from previous experience .

Federal has also came out with "Deer Thug" ammo. I may look at them as well. Probably a Fusion bullet in a different box. They were about $2 a box cheaper.

HuntinDawg89

hate them!!! I havent lost a deer in years, and switched to them, lost 3 (I believe) in one season. heart shot one, luckily I found it but it didnt bleed a single drop..... very accurate, but no expansion.....the ones I did find, were "pin-holed" entrance and exit

I've never shot Federal Fusion, but the tiny exit hole was a problem I had many years ago with the Federal Premium Nosler Partition. Whitetails just don't have enough mass to make that bullet expand IMO. I shot quite a few deer with it that I was very lucky to recover due to lack of blood trail because the exit hole was .30 caliber just like the entry hole. The nosler partition, at least the old one they made in the late 80's and early 90's was a poor choice for whitetails, but good for bigger big game with heavier bone and hide to make that bullet expand.

As for the heart shot deer, I've never seen one of those that didn't bleed.

Way better than Ballistic Silvertips, IMO. I hate those bullets...

If that is the same as the Winchester Silvertips then I agree. I've never had a bullet explode and fragment on a whitetail like that awful bullet. I had a really, really bad experience with those. Just awful. I don't remember it being called a ballistic tip though, so it may be a different bullet.