Dawson Forest - Hog Hunting

pnome

This is a subject of much debate. Some say they have seen hogs in Dawson Forest, but I've never seen them, or any sign of them in the 10 or so times I've been there.

EnglishRedNeck

This is a subject of much debate. Some say they have seen hogs in Dawson Forest, but I've never seen them, or any sign of them in the 10 or so times I've been there.

Sorry to say neither have I. I am up there quite a bit and have never seen any sign on any of the 3 tracts that I go to.
Pine log or up in the mountains may be the only viable option.

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

Never seen any hawg sign on DF. But, there's a lot of land on that WMA. I've just never seen any sign where I have hunted, and when we hunt there, we walk and walk and walk.....

wellham

me neither- never seen/heard any :eek: - it is a really heavily used WMA in terms of lots people driving thru, fishing, riding and struck me as generally trashy and not very well maintained, plus there's radioactive waste buried there.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you have designs on hunting in N. Ga. by far the best approach is to plan to hunt what is in season and not target any particular game.

To plan a hog hunt in the mountains and carry it out is most likely to end up in disappointment. On the other hand to approach the hunt with deer, bear, or hog in mind will enhance the possibility of greater success.

It is a mental thing. Do not think hog as your objective. Just go on a mountain hunt. It is a great experience.

stev

Banned
I hunt up at df a lot and never seen any sign of hogs.I hunt all 3 tracts regularly.You may be wasting your time for hogs in dawson forest.

J HESTER

There was some hogs on df back in the mid 90's. Have'nt seen any are heard of anyone seeing any in the last 10 yr's.

Buckbreaker

o.k thanks for the info.....I've been here for 6 years and never hunted DF much but i had heard of them being on the WMA....

EnglishRedNeck

me neither- never seen/heard any :eek: - it is a really heavily used WMA in terms of lots people driving thru, fishing, riding and struck me as generally trashy and not very well maintained, plus there's radioactive waste buried there.

I'm afraid I have to agree with this statement with regard to the city of Atlanta tract.
I have started to see some deer there finally.
Not a prolific amount of wildlife on there but it is close and if you know where to look they are there.
You just have to spend a little more time scouting out the decent locations that maybe too much work to hunt for the average hunter.
The other tracts are a little better IMHO.

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

I'm afraid I may open a can of worms here and perhaps offend someone, but IMO, the City of Atlanta tract @ Dawson Forest is overused by folks other than hunters. There is a lot of traffic (horse, ATV, automobiles) up there that once again IMO has caused game to move on to more secure areas for them. I realize WMAs are public land, but it would be nice if these areas were "off limits" to anyone other than hunters during big game seasons.

pnome

I saw 5 does, 5 turkeys, and a black bear on the Atlanta tract just last weekend.

And of course a whole mess of horseback riders.

EnglishRedNeck

I saw 5 does, 5 turkeys, and a black bear on the Atlanta tract just last weekend.

And of course a whole mess of horseback riders.

P.
Was it you that I was talking to up there about the 300lb bear at the sign in board on Sunday afternoon? I think you were in a white chevy trail blazer?

pnome

Sure was. It was a white ford escape tho.

Me and Robk from this site were there.

EnglishRedNeck

Wow..
Too funny..
What a small world!
Well, as I said Sunday..It was good to meet you both.
Hopefully, we'll catch up again soon.

Sorry about the 'Chivvy' comment:D

EnglishRedNeck

Must admit I could swear it was 4 does, 5 turkeys and 1 bear though:D :D

EnglishRedNeck

10-04 LOL:D