Lake Lanier Update 5/20/14

LanierSpots

The surface temps are holding in the low 70's right now but expect them to rise in the upper 70's pretty quick. We are getting some nice weather here in the Lanier area and that has kept the water temps perfect for spotted bass.

A lot of the spotted bass have finished the spawn but there are still some big main lake fish that are yet to spawn. We always get a decent late spawn in May and early June and this year will be no exception. The big main lake fish are usually the last to go. I am starting to see some very big fish pull up on shallow rock on the lower end of the lake and start to spawn.

I have been having some great days out on Lanier fishing main lake reef poles and shallow rock. There are a few fish out on brush but the main group of fish are up shallow. I have been absolutely killing the big spots on windy days fishing off shore rock reef poles with a painted blade white Mini-Me spinnerbait. The wind is positioning the fish in 3-8 feet of water around these rocky areas and they will kill a white bladed spinnerbait. Make sure you have a trailer hook rigged on your spinnerbait. Never throw a blade in open water on Lanier without a trailer hook. I use a 2/0 most of the time but you will catch half your fish on the trailer hook alone

When the wind dies, I am switching to a 3/16 ounce Spotsticker stand up Football Head rigged with a Green Pumpkin or Watermelon Seed ZOOM swamp crawler. This rig should be on everyones deck for the entire month of June. Last year we had a fantastic shallow bite up on the reef poles with the jighead and things are lining up for that to happen again this year.

A white Superfluke fished weightless is also doing very well on the reef poles. I am rigging mine on a 3/0 worm hook and 12 pound fluorocarbon line. Using a very slow twitching motion as I work the bait out over the rock. I had one customer get a 5 pound spotted bass today on the fluke. Monster fish....

As we roll into June, there will be some fish start to gather up on the main lake brush as usual. Top water baits such as a Chug Bug, Vixen and Sammy are your tools of choice for this. Make sure you have some kind of swimbait or under-spin rigged for fishing the deeper fish on the brush. This bite has been going on for over 15 years and it wont change this year. As we roll into late June, the drop shot will be coming on as will the live bait bite.

Good luck to everyone out there.

Ryan Coleman

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 903
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 890

TroyBoy30

107-thumbs-up-sign.png

bowandgun

Went yesterday trolled for stripers and could not keep all the lines in the water due to the spots anhilating the herring. Jusst like you said reef poles and the saddles in between. Caught some real nice ones.

Hookum

I was out yesterday for a few hours and the spots are eating. :) I was told not to get the white blades and go with silver...gonna have to go kick somebody.

Cletus T.

Awesome fish man and excellent report.

Those mini-me’s with the white blades are the ticket man, just picked up a few of those up at Hammonds last week.

Those fat bellied spots are some of the prettiest fish out there!

LanierSpots

Great report. Not to get off subject, but how do you like the new motor?

The new motor is fantastic. I have now been in it for a few months and absolutely love it. Good strong power, great fuel milage and NO OIL !!!!!!!! Im saving about 3K per year just on Oil usage now…. That will pay for my season tickets to the football games. :bounce:

10294346_10203680453522696_2326731768458908957_n.jpg

Awesome fish man and excellent report.

Those mini-me’s with the white blades are the ticket man, just picked up a few of those up at Hammonds last week.

Those fat bellied spots are some of the prettiest fish out there!

Thanks for using the product. I am proud of the Spinnerbaits and have been since Bill and I developed it back in the early 2000's. I have always loved spinnerbait fishing and like to tweak and work with different things with blade baits.

Today was just like last week. A strong southwest wind and the spots were eating my white bladed Spinnerbaits. We were using the Shad Head bait today for the most part. My guy caught a few on the Mini-Me but I have been experementing with some new "things" on the Shad Head and I have to say they are working….

This was just one double that we got. It was on a rocky point on the south end…. Both big girls.. One for each of us...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 544