Home Depot!

six

Found out something interesting today at my local Home Dept. I was looking for a counter bore for 6-48 screws. I was unsure of the angle and decided to search the internet on my phone. The first several hits were gun sites. Every one of them was blocked! I thought what the heck? Looked at my phone and it was picking up on Home Depot's website. I turned the Wifi off and immediately got into each of the sites. Apparently they block gun sites on their Wifi. I had no idea. I asked the floor guy if they were anti 2nd amendment. He asked why and I told him. He said he had no idea that they blocked them. I also told him I bet if I wanted to find me a Boyfriend I could pull those sites right up. I did ask him to talk to his manager and find out what the deal was, and the next time I'm in there I was going to ask him what he found out. I don't know if it's just local or if it's their corporate policy.

Any one have any idea or experience? Next time your in your local HD try to pull up a gun site. I'm just curious if it's a local choice.

Last edited:

Budda

probably jist a alabama thing. :)

six

Could be. Half of the employees here have trouble spelling gun

ebr

Not uncommon

I don't think its uncommon. I work for an IT company and my company computer blocks anything associated with 'weapons'.

walkinboss01

I use to be a retail manager for a large big box company, and our network blocked any weapon site as well.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
my brother cant even look at this website as his work anymore!!!!

six

From what I've heard it is a Corporate filter that blocks key words and phrases and isn't uncommon. I had no idea.

280bst

I don't know if Home Depot does that or not. I do know if I'm any where that has Wi-Fi and I try to log on to a web site it's blocked if it's unsecured Wi-Fi the phone does that as a safety feature. There is one place I go regular and they signed me in with their password from that point on I could log onto any web site with no problem. Hope this might have helped

Water Swat

This is going to be such an inconvenience next time I need some screws or pipe fittings and decide to Google guns!

humdandy

Banned
This is going to be such an inconvenience next time I need some screws or pipe fittings and decide to Google guns!

Especially if you are searching for boyfriends and swords.

The nerve of some companies.......offer a free WIFI service and then put limits on it.:D

I'm done shopping at Home Depot, that will teach them a lesson.

PappyHoel

You should turn your wifi off when you're not at home. Your wifi even if you're not connected is tracked. The big box stores sell the data and use it to tell how long someone was in a store, where you walked and how long you stayed in an area. This is especially used in malls where they can tell how long you were in for example...Starbucks and then which store you walked to next and how long you were in that other store.

Luke0927

You should turn your wifi off when you're not at home. Your wifi even if you're not connected is tracked. The big box stores sell the data and use it to tell how long someone was in a store, where you walked and how long you stayed in an area. This is especially used in malls where they can tell how long you were in for example...Starbucks and then which store you walked to next and how long you were in that other store.

Exactly at a lot of big corp stores you are directed to their network so they can use data analytics gather data on what you maybe looking at while there. You get applied to their firewall filters. Also cameras watch how long you spend time in certain isle and sections etc...

six

Really? I had no idea. I never give it any thought.

I thought with your handle "six" meant you have 6.

gt40
I go to sleep with six but usually wake up with more.

PappyHoel

Really? I had no idea. I never give it any thought.

I go to sleep with six but usually wake up with more.

Your phone beacons even when not connected.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Are you sure you just weren't signed in with thier network. Alot of public wifi has a page where you have to agree to thier terms and conditions, once you agree then You have access to surf, but until then you will get a page cannot be displayed error.