Need tent recommendations

jimbo1187

Banned
What size/brand/model tent would you recommend for tent camping for myself, wife, and toddler son? Looking to take a couple family camping trips this year and will need to build my camping supplies from scratch, starting with the tent.

micahdean

Tents

I have gone through many tents in the last 15 years trying to find the best that suits me. i really enjoy my Marmont Limelight 4 person all season tent. Very easy and quick to install. Very good quality, aluminum poles (last years longer than fiberglass poles). All around very solid tent. i can use a low profile queen or king air mattress in this one. My other tent is the REI kingdom8. VERY roomy tent, good quality, aluminum poles as well. This is a 2 room tent with way more room than ever needed. I'm pretty sure i could squeeze 4 queen size air mattresses in with no problem. Both tents will keep you 100% dry in any rain condition. i also have a Kelty 4 person tent. A lot cheaper than any of the 2 mentioned above, but still an all around good tent. It does have fiberglass poles so be cautious if you go that route. I've tried the Colemans, Ozark trails, etc. and would only go that route if there was absolutely NO rain in the forecast. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Attachments

• 20160227_134342.jpg
    20160227_134342.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_3115.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 776

micahdean

And the most important of all....use a tarp under your tent and make sure it is 100% dry when you pack it up. You can make any tent last years if its well kept.

T-N-T

My only help is to second the aluminum pole suggestion. Way better. I have a Sierra Design tent I got off craigslist for $30 I think. ($200+ new) I cannot speak for the rain proofing yet, but I know it is a much better tent than those from walmart....

futbolwest

Start cheap and work up to a high quality tent if your family enjoys camping. I have 2 Ozark trail 10 x 12 tents I have used many times over the last 10 yeArs. Neither have been waterproof and I have never gotten wet!
But like others have said put a sheet of plastic or tarp under your tent and put a tarp over your tent plus lay your tent out in the driveway or hang it up in the carport to dry before storing. Make sure to get a big enough tarp over top to run water away from the footprint.

KLBTJTALLY1

Depends on your budget. YouTube has some great videos of each manufacturer and things to look for. Good manufacturers are; Sierra Designs & Big Agnes are industry leaders. Also, buy a good thick ground cover. If you can find a 20 mil, water resistant ground cover that's great. Things to look for:

1. DAC aluminum poles.
2. Bathtub floor; meaning the floor's covering comes up the side 5 inches or so to help keep ground moisture out.
3. Intelligent design in ropes, snaps, etc. Sierra Designs has great design but there colors are hideous.
4. Coating ratings; the higher the better.
5. No-see-um mesh in windows.
6. YKK zippers; best in the industry.
7. Taped seams.
8. Adequate interior storage.

I've had a Winnebago tent I got from a sporting goods store 20 years ago and it's still holding strong.

Good luck!

micahdean

I agree with LBTJTALLY1, one thing I would like to add to his list is the rain fly. I prefer the fly to cover the tent completely..this ensures a dry bed. Also I spray my tents once a year with a water repellent spray for some added comfort when it comes to waterproofing.

7Mag Hunter

Start cheap and work up to a high quality tent if your family enjoys camping. I have 2 Ozark trail 10 x 12 tents I have used many times over the last 10 yeArs. Neither have been waterproof and I have never gotten wet!
But like others have said put a sheet of plastic or tarp under your tent and put a tarp over your tent plus lay your tent out in the driveway or hang it up in the carport to dry before storing. Make sure to get a big enough tarp over top to run water away from the footprint.

X-2......No point spending alot of money
on a tent you will only use a few times
a year...
Tarp under the tent and an oversized HD
tarp for rain protection....Use seam sealer
on the seams, and silicone spray on the sides.......
I prefer a cabin style tent as you have more headroom, and room for lawn
chairs inside the tent....

riprap

A cheap tent and a huge tarp, plenty of rope and ratchet straps. I still use an old canvas Hillary tent from sears. It's over 30yrs old. I wouldn't get one too big that it won't fit on tent pad (if you go to places with a tent pad). You don't want the water running under your tarp. Dig a small trench if you have to. Nothing will make you say more bad language or turn you off from camping all together than a big downpour. We had our share last year.

Artfuldodger

And the most important of all....use a tarp under your tent and make sure it is 100% dry when you pack it up. You can make any tent last years if its well kept.

When I tried that water ran in between the bottom of the tent and plastic wetting us from beneath. Maybe the plastic was too big and it was rainwater off the tent running down on top of it.

Artfuldodger

A cheap tent and a huge tarp, plenty of rope and ratchet straps. I still use an old canvas Hillary tent from sears. It's over 30yrs old. I wouldn't get one too big that it won't fit on tent pad (if you go to places with a tent pad). You don't want the water running under your tarp. Dig a small trench if you have to. Nothing will make you say more bad language or turn you off from camping all together than a big downpour. We had our share last year.

Yeah that's the option I've seen many people do. It is cheaper than a new tent. It just looks a little getto. One might could upscale with some led patio lights.

I do like the garage on Micahdean's Rei tent. Most tents don't have anywhere to store and keep gear dry.
I do agree that one should wait before buying a tent that expensive until he sees that he is a regular camper.
I mean if you end up going about 4 times a year then yes get a nice dry tent that's easy to pitch.

Randy

I hope I never have to sleep in a tent again. As long as there are trees, I will be hanging in a hammock.

Artfuldodger

My daughter and I gave up on tents and now hang. We went hanging over the weekend, It was 32 degrees Friday night at Bussey Point in Lincoln county above Augusta. We had the whole campground to ourselves.
I can understand needing a tent if one has small children or a reluctant to hang wife.
My daughter bought a tent for her dog. She pitched it right next to her hammock. He took right to it and slept soundly all night. He had previously slept in the tent with her.

Last edited:

T-N-T

Disclaimer, an Eno hammock, bug net and rain fly hanging from Eno straps is more money than a tent.
But I am not looking back...

jimbo1187

Banned
I have an Eno but my wife and son can't sleep in it. Thanks for all of the suggestions! Looking forward to camping soon.

Artfuldodger

I have an Eno but my wife and son can't sleep in it. Thanks for all of the suggestions! Looking forward to camping soon.

You can put a fan in a tent along with a port-a-potty. A piece of carpet or astro turf at the door helps cut down on tracking sand in.

Even with the hammocks we always pitch a dining canopy over the picnic table.

Artfuldodger

My daughter was thinking about getting a Coleman Evanston tent. There is a 6 & 8 person model. It gets good reviews on Amazon. It has one big screen window on the back side that doesn't close so it would only be good in the summer.
The one drawback my daughter saw was the screen room wall slopes back with no rainfly over it. When it rains, it rains into your porch.

I've always hated having to slide poles through the tents sleeves. My brother has a Eureka that had clips instead of the sleeves. It was always quicker to pitch his tent.

bigelow

Executive Chef at Billy's Bistro
Coleman instant cabin tents are pretty nice get the 6 person and you can store all your extras