Old 10-02-2007, 09:12 PM

Liklihood is great that these are merely piles of stones which were moved by way of a hand made sled (called a stone boat) out of the field and cast in piles at the edge of the field.

Every time the field was plowed, additional stones were brought to the surface, making for more stone removal. This was most often winter work when folks were not involved with making a crop.

I have an old field on my place that was being cultivated by Cherokees when whites settled in what is now Gilmer Co. The field was last cultivated in 1925.

The field now contains 30 inch in diameter pines and Yellow poplar. One would never know that it was a field except for the piles of rocks that delineate the the field. The rocks were placed in piles in event they were needed at some later time for building chimneys, foundations, fences, etc.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Retired Administrator

Dawg2, I see a couple of worked pieces there. I know very little about Native American graves, other than the fact that I ain`t gonna mess with em. I like Mr. Vernons idea of how and why the stones were placed there. There are fields down here where the farmers have them piled 10 feet high for over 100 yards to get them out of the fields. I also see them in big woods off the sides of the right of ways some too. Most likely they were piled up in places like I see for the same reason.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Holt View Post
Liklihood is great that these are merely piles of stones which were moved by way of a hand made sled (called a stone boat) out of the field and cast in piles at the edge of the field.

Every time the field was plowed, additional stones were brought to the surface, making for more stone removal. This was most often winter work when folks were not involved with making a crop.

I have an old field on my place that was being cultivated by Cherokees when whites settled in what is now Gilmer Co. The field was last cultivated in 1925.

The field now contains 30 inch in diameter pines and Yellow poplar. One would never know that it was a field except for the piles of rocks that delineate the the field. The rocks were placed in piles in event they were needed at some later time for building chimneys, foundations, fences, etc.
Only one problem. It is not a field. The piles ONLY occur on the face of a hill and stop at the top and they are all on the eastern side. Some are just a few feet away. Additionally, every rock in the pile is milky quartz. There is no large milky quartz on my property. most of the rock here is granitic looking rock. So why would a farmer take all the effort to carry only white quartz to the top of a hill and make nearly identically sized piles a few feet apart from each other all the way across a ridge line? Also, nearly every single projectile point, scraper, tool, axe head found around my house is quartz or quartzite. I had someone look at some of them and they are a mix of Archaic and Woodland Period pieces. A lot of people may have farmer rock piles, and a lot more may be tearing up ancient artifact to border thier flower bed. The Archaic and more so the Woodland Indians built a lot of rock piles. ome are graves and others may only be a marker of some kind. White quartz was a very special/holy rock to the for the piezo electric qualities (go outside and rub to pieces of quartz together at night and you will see what I mean) and they built ahuge effigy mound (Eagle Rock) in GA completely out of quartz. But I would say if you find them, it would be better to err on the side off caution and not go tearing them up.

After having done a little research on "rock piles" after finding mine, An Archaeologist told me if it is on a ridge or hill, facing EAST (Land of the living), overlooking a valley that usually has water/ creek, it is most likely a prehistoric gravesite and usually well before the Creek Indians. More likely Archaic or Woodland.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:16 PM

At Big Lazar Creek WMA, there are numerous piles of the same type rocks on several hills at the mouth of the creek where it flows into the Flint at Hickman Island.These piles are in a series of rows, coming together at the top of each hill. These hills are too rocky and steep for any farmer to have even considered planting a crop.If they are graves, there are a lot of dead Indians on those hills.I always wondered if it had some type of ceremony associated with it.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:17 PM

#1 I wasn't saying I'dig it up - just asking.
#2 That is not a grave site. It has a name but for lack of my memory I'll call it a supply pile. usable stones were carried from fields and creeks/rivers and piled high - like the back lot of a Home Depot. Then individuals could take them and use them as they saw fit.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:53 PM

What about these rockpiles on a mtn top , facing NE. Sorry about the picture quality , I took them Sunday evening with my cell phone.
Jeb

Old 10-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

When I found mine, I did a bunch of research. Yours look similar. Up the East Coast, there are groups ( http://rockpiles.blogspot.com/2007_06_24 _archive.html )dedicated to marking these piles as pre historic and they have a lot of pics. GA has a lot of rockpiles. But from what I have read, there is a big debate as to whether they are graves, ceremonial locations, monuments to fallen warriors, battle ground markers, so on. Some of my mounds face NE, but there are none on the western side of the hill. But there is one big marker cairn made completely out of granite looking rock with one single piece of white quartz stuck in it. From that pile is a trail of white quartz chunks about 10' apart leading you to the big area of rock piles, which is why I do not believe it ha sanything to do with a farmer. We find a lot of artifacts int the pasture below, but none from more modern Indians (i.e.- Cherokee).
Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 PM

W.P.A.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:54 PM

Here are some graves I found at a friend's new lease....

No Indian graves but from the 1800....Headstones said some were in the GA Infantry..
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2007, 08:56 PM

Another one
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

Hey Dawg2----

I'd say that is a machette in your picture. Not sure what era, but i'm pretty sure that's what you go there. Looks to be in real good condition though.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20fowlin View Post
Hey Dawg2----

I'd say that is a machette in your picture. Not sure what era, but i'm pretty sure that's what you go there. Looks to be in real good condition though.
It is. I keep one in the hunting house, the garage, and I have one in the woods too, it was from the 60's. Now if I can just find it in the woods. They are great to have in the woods.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:25 PM

they look like farmers put them there i am pretty shure there not a burrial site
Old 10-07-2007, 08:48 PM

Some folks have been PM'ing me asking for some pics of the grave sites. I was hunting this weekend and stopped by the old slave grave yard and took these pics with my camera phone. Sorry the quality isn't the best, next time I'll take a real camera and get some better shots.

These pictures don't begin to tell the whole story when you are there. There are approximately 60 of these graves lined up on the ridge top. I tried to pick some representative samples. In the big picture, you can see the headstone and the footstone and the depression in the ground from where the coffin has collapsed. The first picture of the headstone might have some kind of engraving on it, but it's illegible. I'll try and get some pictures of the Creek Indian graves I mentioned earlier one of these times.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 PM

WOW I just wonder how many times i have walkd past some of these and never noticed them
Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
WOW I just wonder how many times i have walkd past some of these and never noticed them
Yep, the property owner did not know they were there, and this hunting club I am in has been together about 6 years and no one noticed them before I joined last season. It just struck me one morning as I climbed out of a creek bottom and crested the ridge, that the stones and depressions in the ground were in a definite geometric pattern. There are 10 rows of 6 to 8 graves each. It is very old because there are some big trees growing up right through the middle of some of the graves.

I suspect that there was an old log church there at one time because churches and graveyards usually go together, and at one end of the rows of graves there is a level area where the church might have stood.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 PM

Default Hall county indian pile

I have found a pile of rocks 4X6 on a very steep and east side of the hill overlooking a creek. I have found about 30 arrowheads on my land in the last twenty years. Makes me wonder as well.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 PM

Our cabin is out on a side ridge that faces East and theres 2 rock piles further out the ridge.
Mostly quartz stones.
I walk around them when goin thru.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

I see very few actual artifacts and a bunch of old farm rock piles in this thread.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoyed View Post
I see very few actual artifacts and a bunch of old farm rock piles in this thread.
See, that is where you are wrong. One of the piles I have had been vandalized and there were artifacts.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM

Not saying the rock piles are not Indian graves but around me are several grave yards with rock piles in them marking grave sites.These were from people marking there love ones site that didn't have money for a fit marker.They are very old too.I think from the early 1900's.Some of what different members are posting could also be the same.As far as the sites facing the east,we Christians believe that when Jesus returns He will come from the east. All graves around my home town face the east.The rock sites could be from the early settlers also.Just some thoughts to consider.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:21 PM

grab a shovel.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneHunter77 View Post
grab a shovel.
Not cool and you may want to read up:

http://www.ibsgwatch.imagedjinn.com/learn/laws.htm
Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 PM

There was a property I went to years ago in Cohutta, Ga. that in a field around the sides of a ridge were not stone piles, but stone pits sort of. Circles about 30 feet in diameter covered with stones averaging the size of a football/ basketball. The center of the stone circle was about four feet lower than the edge. The owner said that one day he and some friends started to remove stones form the center, got down about 8 feet and there were still stones- they put the ones removed back and never fooled with it again.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:52 AM

if those are graves more than likely any bones would have since disolved except for the teeth, enamel is the hardest substance in out body. Not all indian were burial laying stretched out, alot were bundle burials put in the hole after the bones were cleaned in the charnel house. there were hundreds of thousands of people here before us, they had to be put to rest somehwere and most places today have no resemblence to what it looked like that long ago.

Also note, not all indians were buried with riches and pots and gorgets or even plain ole arrowheads.They just dies and were interred. Down here in Florida our soils are so acidic bones dont last. Late Paleo and Archaic indians buried the dead in ponds and lakes here, they covered and staked them to the bottom and it would be used for thousands of years until the mound builders came along in the woodland times.

you want a great read?? check out the link of the Windover site, this has the best preservation of 7,000 year old human brain and tissue and these "savages" even cared for a 14 year old boy with SPina Bifida and made cloth shirts like we wear from palmetto fibers, 26 strands to the square inch.

http://www.nbbd.com/godo/history/windover/

I have found some bundled, staked burials before when the lakes go down. I have given the Arch`s some sites but they dont need them all, all they would do is take any related artifacts and it goes in to a box in a drawer somewhere for eternity. I know of at least 6 mounds that arent documented and they will remain that way until a developer comes along and bulldozes it.
The Seminoles have no say over any remains discovered here, they arent true Florida indians, they are a mixture of creek and cherokee and freed slaves .

See what is in one of those piles to fill your curiosity and if it is a burial cover it back up and now you know.

Last edited by jcinpc; 08-21-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Banned

Interesting read and topic I love local history here is a link about a site up in Dahlonega http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=9451 also read the last paragraph of this one http://www.cherokeegold.net/stonepilegap.html
Old 08-21-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handgunner View Post
Interesting to say the least.

I wouldn't recommend digging any up though...

If they are indeed indian graves, they were put to rest, and IMO, are best left that way.
Dig them up, and if you find remains, move them. Then build a house there. They do it in the movies, and it seems like an interesting time
Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneHunter77 View Post
grab a shovel.
go to jail!

T
Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 PM

I think tomorrow I'm going to get a shovel, a pry bar, a hammer and a pair of pliers and go up the road to the city cemetery and start digging up people and sell whatever I find in the grave on ebay.

Maybe I'll sell the casket for scrap metal, too.

T
Old 08-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwback View Post
I think tomorrow I'm going to get a shovel, a pry bar, a hammer and a pair of pliers and go up the road to the city cemetery and start digging up people and sell whatever I find in the grave on ebay.

Maybe I'll sell the casket for scrap metal, too.

T
I never undertsood why people think it is OK to dig up indian graves. It's no different than doing the above and gathering up all the gold and silver crowns and selling them.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 AM

In the name of science, religion, and morbid curiosity much harm has been done.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustUs4All View Post
In the name of science, religion, and morbid curiosity much harm has been done.
You left our GREED.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:52 PM

Default grave markers

do not loose the sight of how many pore folks white and black that have been buried here. the vast majority of farms had a cementary on tthem. there were not many large plantations,just one and two hose farms with houses every hundred yards to half mile or so.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy84 View Post
Here are some graves I found at a friend's new lease....

No Indian graves but from the 1800....Headstones said some were in the GA Infantry..
Fatboy, Are these graves in Lamar Co? They look like the ones another SCV member and myself marked a few years ago. One Confederate and one War of 1812.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg2 View Post
I never undertsood why people think it is OK to dig up indian graves. It's no different than doing the above and gathering up all the gold and silver crowns and selling them.
I know where several Native American grave sites are in our lease and my buddy and I find alot of artifacts in the area. People should have some respect for the dead and don't be surprised if the indian spirits come to haunt you
Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 PM

I know where several Native American grave sites are in our lease and my buddy and I find alot of artifacts in the area. I wouldn't dare touch a grave site though. I know where several undocumented shell mounds are also but those secrets are well kept.

People should have some respect for the dead and don't be surprised if the indian spirits come to haunt you if you dig up their grave
Old 09-13-2011, 03:15 PM

we had (and I say had) a nice rockpile on some land I help manage in Bartow Cty. I suspected it to not be a burial, but a workshop. There are lots of flakes and debitage around it, as well as preforms and an occasional point. I figure the indians had them a pile of good usable chert and jasper there and some big chunks of limestone to sit on while they worked.

Well someone got into that pile with a backhoe while no one was watching and dug it up. I got in there and poked around and didn't find a thing and I bet a nickel the jerks that dug it up didn't find anything either. (I hope they didn't anyway). I reckon that even if they found some bones, they probably wouldn't have taken them. They couldn't do anything with them anyways.

Wish I knew who did it though.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaliga View Post
At Big Lazar Creek WMA, there are numerous piles of the same type rocks on several hills at the mouth of the creek where it flows into the Flint at Hickman Island.These piles are in a series of rows, coming together at the top of each hill. These hills are too rocky and steep for any farmer to have even considered planting a crop.If they are graves, there are a lot of dead Indians on those hills.I always wondered if it had some type of ceremony associated with it.
I hunted that WMA several years back and it is covered up
with graves. Some even have markings scratched deep
into the headstone like rock. Maybe there was a battle
or a disease outbreak or something.
One thing is for certain, people have been buried under
rock piles for up to 40,000 years before we sailed over
here. Maybe longer, who knows.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 PM

My Grandfather was a Creek Injun, he was also a sharecropper on Gene Tallmadge's farm. At some point he told Gene about the mounds between Macon and Perry. Then later Showed them to him. They have since been destroyed (turned into a park/ historical site) I can't say that this was Eugene's fault, But pawpaw never showed him anything else....... but he showed me..... and I have stood on top of a mound in the middle of a South Georgia swamp that was higher than the pines and so covered in pottery shards and points that you could scoop them up by the doubled handful. (but I did not).Those stone plies may be sacred, but are most likely not. I would do some more research and if found to be sacred then most defiantly do not tell anyone or someone will dig em' up and ruin your hunting spot.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 AM

I found a suspect rock pile this weekend, it was situated over a small creek which had cut through the bed rock in a very defined manner indicating the age of the creek. The pile was on the west side of the creek and was aligned from west to east. The pile was about 10 feet long and maybe 4 feet wide, it was about 3 feet high. The rocks were predominately quartz, the area was rich in quartz but I believe that the pile was not representative of the natural distribution of quartz, it was over 2/3 rds quartz. The creek side, or east side of the pile had a deep hole, this could be from a long ago tree, or from excavation? If this site was aligned to face east this would be the head stone area of the pile.

I was a vistor to this property so I do not know any of the history, the owner was not present. I passed along my suspicions to the fellow I was with and he will pass it on to the owner. The property was an old farm and the pile could also be from clearing the fields, although it looked to me that someone spent a lot of time collecting quartz.

Any thoughts on this?? The pile was located in Harris county.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 AM

there is a place out from thomaston close to the flint where along the hillsides are many and I mean many of these gray rocks in 6-7 feet sections like graves as you were mentioning before. it is a couple of hundred feet away from the river.