GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Outdoor Facts, History, and Oddities of Nature

Old 12-18-2006, 04:04 PM

I stumbled on the slave grave yard when walking back to my ATV after a hunt and came upon a large flat area on top of a ridge. I noticed some depressions in the ground, and the fact there were granite field stones in a linear geometric pattern and all of a sudden it dawned on me what it was.

Some of the graves are in perfect condition with both head stones and smaller foot stones on each end of the depressions in the ground, and some of them have no markers at all, just the depressions. I'm sure at one time there were head and foot stones on all of them, but the area has been logged several times in its history and I doubt the wood cutters even knew what they were standing on and probably drove heavy equipment right over the top of it.

I'll try and remember to bring my digital camera with me next time I go to the property and take some pictures of the slave graves and what I guess are probably creek indian graves. It's cool stuff to see if you are like me and really enjoy and appreciate history.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:11 AM

Default still's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
I don't believe it's either of those. I Know where an an old Georgia gold rush sluce site is in Cherokee county, and this looks nothing like that. I've also seen lots of old stills and I don't think this looks anything like that either. (You can usually tell an old still site by the old hoop barell rings laying on the ground from where the barrells rotted away and left the rings.)

Ummmm...just curious.....umm.....Have you, by chance, seen any new still's???????????????
Old 12-23-2006, 12:33 AM

Default gold

you stay out cherokee county leave our gold along.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:35 AM
60Grit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron288 View Post
you stay out cherokee county leave our gold along.

You're talkin about liquid gold..........
Old 12-24-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbit View Post
Ummmm...just curious.....umm.....Have you, by chance, seen any new still's???????????????
Yeah, as a matter of fact I just saw a still a few minutes ago. It's a funny thing though...it says Frigidaire on the door and it's right in my kitchen. Why there's even 12 little barrels in there...but the funny thing is they all say "Budweiser 12 ounces" on the side.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:46 PM

Ozzie the family graveyard at the bottom of the "L" has some civil war graves and quite a few that are unmarked and appear to be slave graves. Besides the family members of the folks that live close by.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassWorm View Post
Ozzie the family graveyard at the bottom of the "L" has some civil war graves and quite a few that are unmarked and appear to be slave graves. Besides the family members of the folks that live close by.
Yes, I remember seeing it for the first time before the L was cut. There's a little above ground infants tomb only about 2 foot long and the grave of a confederate soldier with the CSA emblem on top of the stone. Someone still cares for it because 2 years ago somebody went through and put flowers on all of the graves.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Administrator

I stumbled on this old thread. Did the piles look like this? I have 20+ on my property and was told they were most likely Indian graves since the rocks in the piles were all quartz.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTroop2000 View Post
It maybe were farmers stack them up when they plow years ago.
this is probably what you found....
Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 PM

is it illegal, as a land owner who has those stones onm his property, to dig it up? might be some museum quality artifacts?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big john h View Post
is it illegal, as a land owner who has those stones onm his property, to dig it up? might be some museum quality artifacts?
Should be if it isn't and at the very least should be 'Morally & Ethically' illegal!
Would you want somebody digging up your Grandma?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big john h View Post
I believe that if you suspect it is a cemetery or grave and you dig into it, the LEOs could have a long talk with you.

Offer the place the respect that the inhabitants deserve.

Sue
Old 10-02-2007, 07:06 AM

Could be graves but I'd think they may be old house sites , we have some on our lease in Cherokee and they're on creeks also. Look around this spring for plants that don't grow wild, thats a good way to find old home sites, jonquils are easy to spot and the bulbs have to be planted.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 AM
60Grit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg2 View Post
I stumbled on this old thread. Did the piles look like this? I have 20+ on my property and was told they were most likely Indian graves since the rocks in the piles were all quartz.
Take some talcum powder and a fine bristle brush.

Dust some of the larger stones. If they were indian, there will be markings on the stones not visible from years of weathering, but the talcum powder will reveal the secret.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator

[quote=60Grit;1486057]Take some talcum powder and a fine bristle brush.

Dust some of the larger stones. If they were indian, there will be markings on the stones not visible from years of weathering, but the talcum powder will reveal the secret.[/QUOTE

What are you talking about?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher31726 View Post
I believe that if you suspect it is a cemetery or grave and you dig into it, the LEOs could have a long talk with you.

Offer the place the respect that the inhabitants deserve.

Sue
IF you dig it AND you find human remains then you have to call a LEO or DNR. If you KNOW it is a grave and you dig it there are stiff penalties and fines. I have no intention of digging in them. That would be like going to a modern cemetery and digging up people for their gold teeth.

We find a lot of quartz points and tools in the pasture below every time it rains. I leave the piles alone. I am pretty sure they are graves and not farmer piles, because whoever did it moved them to the top of a ridge and piled up all quartz.

And my favorite quote:
"let him [the white man] be just and deal kindly with my people, for the dead are not powerless. Dead did I say? There is no death, only a change of worlds."
-Chief Seattle
Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Here is another pic of some different piles. There is one right in front and then if look in the woods to the left and right you can see more.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator

sorry, had to resize the pic
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 AM

cool , i would use a metal detector over the area .
Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 AM
60Grit

[quote=dawg2;1486219]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Grit View Post
Take some talcum powder and a fine bristle brush.

Dust some of the larger stones. If they were indian, there will be markings on the stones not visible from years of weathering, but the talcum powder will reveal the secret.[/QUOTE

What are you talking about?
Attachment 87933

Last edited by 60Grit; 12-14-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Gotcha. I'll look again. SOme of the all quartz piles have one granite like rock placed right on the top. Not sure what it means. And the projectile points we find here are not Cherokee or Creek, they are from the Archaic period.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:01 AM
60Grit

Quote:
Gotcha. I'll look again. SOme of the all quartz piles have one granite like rock placed right on the top. Not sure what it means. And the projectile points we find here are not Cherokee or Creek, they are from the Archaic period.
Check the granite for marks, usually you will need the talcum powder to see them though.

I had a cherokee friend teach me this trick, otherwise I wouldn't have seen anything.

Nicodemus could help you out with the point mystery..

Where are you located?? or more accurately, where are the mounds located?? in terms of county.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
The mounds on our property are the same size, but the individual rocks in the piles are much smaller, and more uniform in size. They look like somebody took a great deal of care to pick them out so that the finished mound would be neat and even looking.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Check the granite for marks, usually you will need the talcum powder to see them though.

I had a cherokee friend teach me this trick, otherwise I wouldn't have seen anything.

Where are you located?? or more accurately, where are the mounds located?? in terms of county.
Harris county
Old 10-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Tell him to look at these. Forget about the green stone adze/celt it came from Lee County AL.
Attached Images