GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-28-2017, 07:06 AM
ProAngler ProAngler is offline
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Forsyth
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default Lanier Striper Report

Started to find some big schools finally below Browns Bridge. I was marking one of the biggest schools I have been on and could not get a bite. Wondering if any other striper fisherman have experienced this? If you would have just showed me pictures of the graph I would have said that we were going to catch 20. We were over them for about an hour, and eventually had about 3 other boats fishing the same school. Between the 3 of us 1 person caught a fish and I had 1 pull down.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2017, 07:32 AM
The mtn man's Avatar
The mtn man The mtn man is offline
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Union county
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Same thing on nottely, i can find the schools and can't get a bite, either on live herring or every size spoon I could think of, including buck tail jigs, i just can't get them to bite.
__________________
When I'm up in the high gap, I hear ole Tom break the silence in the next holler, I always ask myself, what would Cliff do.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2017, 08:11 AM
Coenen's Avatar
Coenen Coenen is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumming, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Smaller bait maybe? They still seem to be munching on a lot of threadfins.
__________________
All jokes now with 50% more walleye!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2017, 08:53 AM
StripeRR HunteRR's Avatar
StripeRR HunteRR StripeRR HunteRR is offline
<---Disruptive Ralph
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

We managed one last night on the spoon, but that was in similar conditions that you're reporting. For those curious, that's why I haven't been sending out invitations to go out.
__________________
Dr. StripeRR HunteRR, Psy.D. Specializing in limnetic therapies.
King of Pessimists - Thanks FSUNoles88
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2017, 09:10 AM
Scout'nStripers's Avatar
Scout'nStripers Scout'nStripers is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumming, Ga.
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

It's way off from what it has been in past years, at least down here on the south end anyway. I see the striper guys out doing their thing and I'm sure their catching some fish downlining right now but I have seen very few striped fish come to the surface. There are some groups of stripers in the creek but most I've seen are staying down. A lot of the bait I'm seeing is threads and first year bluebacks. Those little first year bluebacks don't spawn and I think that's another thing missing from the equation of topwater stripers. Every time I see a fish chasing a bait on the surface, the bait is small. I didn't see hardly any second year bluebacks swimming on the surface during and after the spawn this year. I guess it could be a combination of lower water levels and lack of mature bluebacks this year.
__________________
"The best advice I've found for fishing tackle comes straight from the fishes mouth."-Jim Farmer
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-28-2017, 09:23 AM
Rabun's Avatar
Rabun Rabun is offline
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sandy springs
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Did you try power reeling up through them with a blueback on a bucktail jig...I've not done this myself but have heard/read on this forum that it can trigger a lock jaw striper bite.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-28-2017, 09:51 AM
ProAngler ProAngler is offline
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Forsyth
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripeRR HunteRR View Post
We managed one last night on the spoon, but that was in similar conditions that you're reporting. For those curious, that's why I haven't been sending out invitations to go out.
Ha, I do the same thing. Love taking friends fishing, but not when I know I cant get a bite. Also tried power reeling with everything I could think of. No results
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-28-2017, 09:54 AM
ProAngler ProAngler is offline
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Forsyth
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout'nStripers View Post
It's way off from what it has been in past years, at least down here on the south end anyway. I see the striper guys out doing their thing and I'm sure their catching some fish downlining right now but I have seen very few striped fish come to the surface. There are some groups of stripers in the creek but most I've seen are staying down. A lot of the bait I'm seeing is threads and first year bluebacks. Those little first year bluebacks don't spawn and I think that's another thing missing from the equation of topwater stripers. Every time I see a fish chasing a bait on the surface, the bait is small. I didn't see hardly any second year bluebacks swimming on the surface during and after the spawn this year. I guess it could be a combination of lower water levels and lack of mature bluebacks this year.
I might try some smaller shiners next time. Would be weird feeling using little shiners this time of year though. I also noticed schools of smaller tiny baits on the surface during the early morning, and wondering if that was part of the problem, to locked in on small baits.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Scout'nStripers's Avatar
Scout'nStripers Scout'nStripers is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumming, Ga.
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAngler View Post
I might try some smaller shiners next time. Would be weird feeling using little shiners this time of year though. I also noticed schools of smaller tiny baits on the surface during the early morning, and wondering if that was part of the problem, to locked in on small baits.
It is part of the problem. Normally I don't see those pods of small bait out on the main lake like that in June. I'm guessing some are first year bluebacks in those pods but they sure look like thread pods to me. Generally in June I see small groups of big second year bluebacks cruising the surface but this year I haven't see much of that. I'd like to open up a few stripers to see what's in their bellies right now.
__________________
"The best advice I've found for fishing tackle comes straight from the fishes mouth."-Jim Farmer
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Dustin Pate's Avatar
Dustin Pate Dustin Pate is offline
Administrator
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Franklin, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout'nStripers View Post
It is part of the problem. Normally I don't see those pods of small bait out on the main lake like that in June. I'm guessing some are first year bluebacks in those pods but they sure look like thread pods to me. Generally in June I see small groups of big second year bluebacks cruising the surface but this year I haven't see much of that. I'd like to open up a few stripers to see what's in their bellies right now.
The fish at West Point are gorging on thread fry right now. Any fish you bring to the boat is just puking 1-1.5" shad. With the amount of fry available, it is amazing you can even get a bite. Regardless, getting a thread in front of them has been pretty much an automatic bite.

The topwater bite is still pretty much non-existant here as well. Very sporadic action here and there, and seems to be more prevalent when you get a school fired up down lining, causing them to go on a feeding frenzy. Most of the fry is in the top 1/3 of the water column, so it should be happening sooner than later.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 AM
j_seph's Avatar
j_seph j_seph is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: JawGa
iTrader: (3) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Caught a 10 inch and a 3 pound striper Monday evening on crappie minner
__________________
Where will you be sitting in eternity?
Smoking or non-smoking?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Coenen's Avatar
Coenen Coenen is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumming, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I might try to sneak out early-early on Saturday, throw out a spread of minnows and see what happens. Worst case scenario is I get the skunk.
__________________
All jokes now with 50% more walleye!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:52 AM
j_seph's Avatar
j_seph j_seph is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: JawGa
iTrader: (3) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
I might try to sneak out early-early on Saturday, throw out a spread of minnows and see what happens. Worst case scenario is I get the skunk.
Careful on worst case scenarios
__________________
Where will you be sitting in eternity?
Smoking or non-smoking?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM
StripeRR HunteRR's Avatar
StripeRR HunteRR StripeRR HunteRR is offline
<---Disruptive Ralph
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAngler View Post
Ha, I do the same thing. Love taking friends fishing, but not when I know I cant get a bite. Also tried power reeling with everything I could think of. No results
If I were marking as consistently as I was last year I'd bring them out. Discussing that is fun in its own right. But when you're looking at stragglers that have lockjaw, that makes for a very boring night.
__________________
Dr. StripeRR HunteRR, Psy.D. Specializing in limnetic therapies.
King of Pessimists - Thanks FSUNoles88
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Coenen's Avatar
Coenen Coenen is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumming, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
Careful on worst case scenarios
If I see one, I'll trim up the motor, and spray about a 100 gallons of water on 'im.
__________________
All jokes now with 50% more walleye!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:29 AM
StripeRR HunteRR's Avatar
StripeRR HunteRR StripeRR HunteRR is offline
<---Disruptive Ralph
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
If I see one, I'll trim up the motor, and spray about a 100 gallons of water on 'im.
And his half ounce will still stick with you.
__________________
Dr. StripeRR HunteRR, Psy.D. Specializing in limnetic therapies.
King of Pessimists - Thanks FSUNoles88
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Coenen's Avatar
Coenen Coenen is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumming, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripeRR HunteRR View Post
And his half ounce will still stick with you.
I'm Italian. No shortage of tomato sauce at the Coenen house if things go awry.

EDIT: Maybe I can adopt the little guy and teach him to spray jet-skiers and wake surfers. I bet a meal worm here and there for positive reinforcement might have the desired result.
__________________
All jokes now with 50% more walleye!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 AM
StripeRR HunteRR's Avatar
StripeRR HunteRR StripeRR HunteRR is offline
<---Disruptive Ralph
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
I'm Italian. No shortage of tomato sauce at the Coenen house if things go awry.
Maybe not, but your kitchen ain't on the yak.
__________________
Dr. StripeRR HunteRR, Psy.D. Specializing in limnetic therapies.
King of Pessimists - Thanks FSUNoles88
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:02 PM
j_seph's Avatar
j_seph j_seph is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: JawGa
iTrader: (3) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
I'm Italian. No shortage of tomato sauce at the Coenen house if things go awry.

EDIT: Maybe I can adopt the little guy and teach him to spray jet-skiers and wake surfers. I bet a meal worm here and there for positive reinforcement might have the desired result.
I thought Coenan was polish
__________________
Where will you be sitting in eternity?
Smoking or non-smoking?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Coenen's Avatar
Coenen Coenen is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumming, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
I thought Coenan was polish
Explains my dazzling intellect

Mom's side of the family is the guidos, Dad's is from kind of all over, and I think "Coenen" is Dutch, maybe.

Fishing runs on that side of the family, apparently...
https://www.wdl.org/en/item/14420/
__________________
All jokes now with 50% more walleye!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-28-2017, 05:16 PM
jgoins's Avatar
jgoins jgoins is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: lawrenceville
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

We got on the biggest school we've ever marked in 15yrs striper fishing Lanier this past weekend. One of those schools where every down rod ought to be going down. We did catch some but it wasn't like what you would think. We stayed on that school for almost an hour and we got 4 on the herring and hooked up with 3 more power reeling the Ben Parker spoon. We did ok but with the size of school, we would have thought we would have had 20 fish, if we run across that again this weekend,I might drop a little 3 inch spoon down and see if that will change anything, idk
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-28-2017, 05:39 PM
1eyefishing's Avatar
1eyefishing 1eyefishing is offline
...just joking, seriously.
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: roswell,ga
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
Explains my dazzling intellect

Mom's side of the family is the guidos, Dad's is from kind of all over, and I think "Coenen" is Dutch, maybe.

Fishing runs on that side of the family, apparently...
https://www.wdl.org/en/item/14420/
Wernt chur dad some kind of shark fisher?😁
Attached Images
 
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-29-2017, 10:09 AM
j_seph's Avatar
j_seph j_seph is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: JawGa
iTrader: (3) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Looking like mr jeff blair is not having any issues getting those big schools to feed
__________________
Where will you be sitting in eternity?
Smoking or non-smoking?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 AM
Teh Wicked's Avatar
Teh Wicked Teh Wicked is offline
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Flowery Branch, GA.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
Looking like mr jeff blair is not having any issues getting those big schools to feed
No doubt, I follow his Facebook and its amazing see what he can produce.

I was out on Saturday and couldn't pay a striper to bite. We finally caught a tiny Striper when I was setting out a freeline for the fun of it. Let out maybe 40-50ft of line and he bumped it and then took it. Rod never even hit the rod holder. The rest of the day was nothing but short strikes and green fish.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-29-2017, 11:32 AM
Coenen's Avatar
Coenen Coenen is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cumming, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
Looking like mr jeff blair is not having any issues getting those big schools to feed
That's why he's a pro, and I'm just some schmuck hoping to bonk one in the head.
__________________
All jokes now with 50% more walleye!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger