; Lake Lanier - Please help me find my stolen boat!!! - Page 3 - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Old 11-28-2017, 08:14 PM

Great news. Glad you found it. Cannot stand a thief.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:15 PM

This boat obviously means a lot to you. Suggest investing in a GPS tracking device that you can hide on the boat and you can track it from your phone. Much cheaper than insurance.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:47 PM

The power of social media does good! Glad you got your boat!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:49 PM

We are definitely reevaluating both our security and tracking after this—because we moved to Georgia simply to live on the lake and I don’t want this incident to make us scared to use the dock permit we worked so hard for (by keeping it out of the water), but we’re definitely going to research/invest in both security and tracking before leaving the boat in anymore. Such a shame when you realize there are no “good” neighborhoods anymore... can’t be naive in this day and age.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNautiqueGonePLEASEHelp View Post
We are definitely reevaluating both our security and tracking after this—because we moved to Georgia simply to live on the lake and I don’t want this incident to make us scared to use the dock permit we worked so hard for (by keeping it out of the water), but we’re definitely going to research/invest in both security and tracking before leaving the boat in anymore. Such a shame when you realize there are no “good” neighborhoods anymore... can’t be naive in this day and age.
Are you within wifi range of your house? If so, you can get good cameras for a nominal price.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:46 PM

Ski, What i did on our dock at Lanier was to put a drop down pipe on each of the 2 slips. The pipes would meet in the middle where i used a heavy padlock. The pipes were not real thick and were a little bit of a pain but gave a real secure look from any boats/folks passing by. When they are not in use they would set in a "cradle" mounted to the dock frame, out of the way.
The fake cameras with a red led, little antenna that runs off 2 9v batteries, look wireless, mounted up on shore pointing at the dock is a GREAT cheap deterrent. Always did like seeing the little red led's lit when pulling in after dark.
Heck i bet a old trail cam or two, working or not with a mocked up antenna would do well.
Mount them as high as you can ....15-20'
Old 11-28-2017, 10:47 PM

I use the Blink camera system at my home. Use of this system in your application would be dependent on how far your dock is from your house receiver. But definitely worth a look since it is a non-subscription system with cell phone alerts, motion detection and cloud storage for a short duration. I believe the Corps of Engineers now allows cameras on docks.

Last edited by natureman; 11-28-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNautiqueGonePLEASEHelp View Post
Superglue a "Tile" under the drybox lid or under the dash.

About 30 bucks at best buy. They are in all my stuff.

Had a friend get a ton of gear stolen last year. I had told him of this "Tile" and he invested in a few.

We watched the "gentleman" moving around the map around 10 miles from us. He arrived with with the police and retrieved his gear about 20 minutes after the dot stopped moving.

They some angry musicians in Houston did this after the police wouldn't investigate. Ended up blowing the top off a warehouse with a few million dollars worth of stolen electronics.

Funny what they won't investigate. Makes you wonder why?

They sure as heck like to cause wrecks running radar at 730 am in the morning on foggy days at exit 12 though. More "profitable".

I was raised in a house with the utmost respect for the law, and alot of municipality and county officers have made it REALLY hard to respect them with the actions they have taken in certain situations.

I WILL say I have NEVER interacted with a state trooper who did not uphold his office with the highest levels of conduct and respect. That goes for DNR as well.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:41 PM

Love the "Tile" idea! Been trying to figure out something like that for my Kayak. Remember that they do have a shelf life though, and need to be tested/replaced every so often.

Same on the thing with local police. I know that not every crime is going to get the full (or any) CSI treatment, but at least make me feel like you're putting some effort in to catching the bad guy. Especially when it's something like this, where it's happened several times recently. Take that quarter million dollar police boat out to Wahoo Creek a couple nights a week, and at least be seen.

I've never really had a "bad" interaction with an LEO, they've all been professional, and some were down right nice. Stuff like this just galls me, though.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:44 PM
<---Disruptive Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
Love the "Tile" idea! Been trying to figure out something like that for my Kayak. Remember that they do have a shelf life though, and need to be tested/replaced every so often.

Same on the thing with local police. I know that not every crime is going to get the full (or any) CSI treatment, but at least make me feel like you're putting some effort in to catching the bad guy. Especially when it's something like this, where it's happened several times recently. Take that quarter million dollar police boat out to Wahoo Creek a couple nights a week, and at least be seen.

I've never really had a "bad" interaction with an LEO, they've all been professional, and some were down right nice. Stuff like this just galls me, though.
I had a car broken into at Fort Bragg a number of years ago and it absolutely shocked me how they handled it. I got a letter in the mail 3 days later saying that the case had been marked for closure. Given that the quickest I've ever gotten a letter in the mail was 3 days it makes me think they came, took my report, and then wrote and mailed that letter on the same day.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripeRR HunteRR View Post
I had a car broken into at Fort Bragg a number of years ago and it absolutely shocked me how they handled it...
"Hello Sir, sorry this happened. What did you see? What items are missing from the vehicle? Can you attach a dollar value to them? Here's a copy of the report for your insurance provider."

Investigation concluded. Case close. <- Perfect description of the situation.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:04 PM
<---Disruptive Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
"Hello Sir, sorry this happened. What did you see? What items are missing from the vehicle? Can you attach a dollar value to them? Here's a copy of the report for your insurance provider."

Investigation concluded. Case close. <- Perfect description of the situation.
basically.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:25 PM

I have never had an issue with law enforcement except for an apparent lack in investigating thefts/break-ins.
I had several thousand dollars worth of hot rod/classic car parts stolen and there was a whole handprint clearly visible that I asked the "Detective" to get for prints. He laughed in my face and told me I had been "watching too much CSI". The only things I recovered were parts that I personally tracked down and even then it was a hassle. A few months later and someone broke into the trunk of a car at the dealership I work at and stole one battery worth less than $100. The same department was out here and dusted most of the car and got several fingerprints. I told the officer about my situation a few months prior and he just shrugged.
Sadly this wasn't the only time as my father and I also had about a dozen 60's cars...mostly chevrolets....stolen some years back. We did the leg work and found most of them. What we did recover was partially crushed from being stacked at the recycle yard.

It's all about who you know or who you are I guess. I bet if the handprint had been on the detective's house they would have took prints.

If that quarter million dollar police boat mentioned above was stolen......how much time would be dedicated to finding it?

All that being said, I still have several friends in law enforcement and greatly appreciate and respect the work they do. It's sad how much responsibility they have with their authority shrinking almost daily and not so great of pay.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:33 PM
<---Disruptive Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61BelAir View Post
I have never had an issue with law enforcement except for an apparent lack in investigating thefts/break-ins.
I had several thousand dollars worth of hot rod/classic car parts stolen and there was a whole handprint clearly visible that I asked the "Detective" to get for prints. He laughed in my face and told me I had been "watching too much CSI". The only things I recovered were parts that I personally tracked down and even then it was a hassle. A few months later and someone broke into the trunk of a car at the dealership I work at and stole one battery worth less than $100. The same department was out here and dusted most of the car and got several fingerprints. I told the officer about my situation a few months prior and he just shrugged.
Sadly this wasn't the only time as my father and I also had about a dozen 60's cars...mostly chevrolets....stolen some years back. We did the leg work and found most of them. What we did recover was partially crushed from being stacked at the recycle yard.

It's all about who you know or who you are I guess. I bet if the handprint had been on the detective's house they would have took prints.

If that quarter million dollar police boat mentioned above was stolen......how much time would be dedicated to finding it?

All that being said, I still have several friends in law enforcement and greatly appreciate and respect the work they do. It's sad how much responsibility they have with their authority shrinking almost daily and not so great of pay.
Oh, absolutely, my hat goes off to them for the jobs they do on average, it just really stinks when you're victimized, even if it is "only just money/property," and the interaction leaves you feeling like it's not important to them.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Retired Moderator

A happy ending. Glad you found it.

You can get any admin to change your user name if you want.