Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Around the Campfire

Old 01-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Default Looking at building a log splitter, kinetic or hydraulic?

Anyone ever build one of these. Itís what DR sells, uses a rack and pinion system. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by muzzy17is; 01-08-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:33 PM

Watch out for knots
Old 01-07-2018, 09:42 PM

you can't stop a stroke once you start one, and they move fast.

Scary and dangerous to me
Old 01-08-2018, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the replys, keep em comin'...all input will be much appreciated...from what I'm hearing though after talking with people is that I will probably take my time and build me a nice expandable hydraulic splitter with a lifting mechanism and what not. Any advice on a homemade splitter and sources for reasonably priced parts would be appreciated as well.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:49 PM

Look at the supper splitter. Its a half way basic design and could be duplicated with a few parts. They work very good and are fast. Splits clean wood good but rough wood will be aggravating. I would build a hydraulic if I was going to build one.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:28 PM

Here is a homemade one. Apparently his dogs don't like it;
Old 01-08-2018, 01:31 PM

I've always thought this one doesn't look safe;
Old 01-08-2018, 02:42 PM

I use to own 3 electric super splits. They're incredible. The hardest part is keeping enough wood nearby to keep up. They will flat out bust wood
Old 01-09-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanjohn View Post
I use to own 3 electric super splits. They're incredible. The hardest part is keeping enough wood nearby to keep up. They will flat out bust wood
I was looking at an electric but haven't seen one over 6 ton. I found a good deal on one but hesitant because I'm leary of how long they'll hold up.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
I've always thought this one doesn't look safe;
My buddy got one of those on a PTO mount. Was called a unicorn I'm pretty sure.

He was showing it to us one night while he was drunk. I told him he was gonna loose a limb if he didn't switch off that little tractor.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-N-T View Post
My buddy got one of those on a PTO mount. Was called a unicorn I'm pretty sure.

He was showing it to us one night while he was drunk. I told him he was gonna loose a limb if he didn't switch off that little tractor.
I can't believe the guy in that video is wearing a hat that has tassles sticking down to his waist. One of those things get caught in the mess and he's gonna have his head ripped off.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcruiser View Post
I can't believe the guy in that video is wearing a hat that has tassles sticking down to his waist. One of those things get caught in the mess and he's gonna have his head ripped off.
Now that would be cool !!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Location: Watkinsville .......................................................................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcruiser View Post
If we ever meet ask me about the call(Atlanta Fire) we got where the long haired dude with the pony tail was working on his front wheel drive car(on jack stands) with the car running in first gear and the wheels off.

The only time I ever saw a firefighter blow grits.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy17is View Post
I was looking at an electric but haven't seen one over 6 ton. I found a good deal on one but hesitant because I'm leary of how long they'll hold up.
The super split electric models will flat out get it done. We ran them hard and they never failed. Zero maintenance and very quiet

Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 AM

I noticed on the Supersplit video, when he put the smaller piece of wood on to push the big piece off, It looks like the rack doesn't go all the way to the splitting part.
I would think that would make it safer. I still don't think I'd leave my hand in there though.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminbogart View Post
If we ever meet ask me about the call(Atlanta Fire) we got where the long haired dude with the pony tail was working on his front wheel drive car(on jack stands) with the car running in first gear and the wheels off.

The only time I ever saw a firefighter blow grits.

oh man...that doesn't sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
I noticed on the Supersplit video, when he put the smaller piece of wood on to push the big piece off, It looks like the rack doesn't go all the way to the splitting part.
I would think that would make it safer. I still don't think I'd leave my hand in there though.
It's amazing how familiarity with a tool breeds carelessness. I once got a thumb almost stuck on a hydraulic log splitter. Somehow, got my hand out of the glove, but the glove road the line and split the log along with the anvil. Cracked my nail at the tip, but nothing major. Was very thankful
Old 01-16-2018, 08:12 PM

I have a 20 ton splitter with 5HP Briggs motor and will split
anything/size i can cut, and or move around...Mine is both vertical
and horizontal capable.....I would not use a screw type or kinetic..
Old 01-16-2018, 08:52 PM

that one little knot gave him some issues. plus, i dont own enough drop cords to reach the backside of my property
Old 01-26-2018, 01:57 PM

Name:  Log splitter 1.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  250.3 KB
Here's where I'm at with my build. Found this at the scrap yard the other day. Gonna put a new ram, 13gpm pump with a 6.5 hp motor. I should be getting around 20 -25 tons and will be good. Feel free to copy and draw on it if you see any improvements. First big improvement will be a hydraulic log lift.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:01 PM

Hydro all the way. Look at a timber wolf tw 6. I run this machine daily. If I were going to build one, I'd pattern it after this machine. Or, if I had a bobcat, I'd build one to attach to the front of it.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:25 PM

I started building one the other day. I'll snap a few pics soon. Going to have a worktable on the back about 30 inches high and a log lift arm.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree cutter 08 View Post
I started building one the other day. I'll snap a few pics soon. Going to have a worktable on the back about 30 inches high and a log lift arm.
Awesome, get some pics up...I'm scrounging for parts right now. Decided I'm gonna go with a 13 gpm pump on this one paired up with 6.5 Preadator motor from Harbor Freight. I've heard good things about those motors and the price is awesome! Got a shorter cylinder I'm gonna switch out with the one that's on it. Got me a 15 gallon stainless steel tank for my Hyd. oil. I'm gonna do a little bit of mod to the main frame, the way it sits now my log lift will hit the tire so I either have to move my beam backward or put a work shelf on it then attach my lift to the outer edge of the shelf. I'll be posting more pics as I go.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhounds View Post
Hydro all the way. Look at a timber wolf tw 6. I run this machine daily. If I were going to build one, I'd pattern it after this machine. Or, if I had a bobcat, I'd build one to attach to the front of it.
I like the Timberwolfs they are solid simply well built machines. When you say you run your machine daily, do you sell firewood? Reason I'm asking is I'm planning on putting my splitter to work. Gonna sell firewood and split for people if they need it as well. If you got any tricks to the firewood business as far as handling or what not I'd like to here them. I'm planning on selling bundles mostly for the ease of hauling and delivery.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:33 PM

I work for a big tree company, and I'm in charge of firewood. We sell about $50-70,000 a year in firewood. We sell by the row, truck load, 1/2 cord or full cord. We don't sell pine or poplar although I burn poplar. As far as all other wood, that splitter never slows down. I've busted some pretty rough hickory with it no problem.

A lot of people are using more wood nowadays even if they don't need it for heat. They buy it for outdoor burn pits or kitchens. As cold as this winter was, we sold out of seasoned wood 3 weeks ago, and some people are still buying green wood.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:37 PM

We build half cord boxes with skids underneath to pick up with a set of forks. We stack the wood in the boxes and dump it into a 450 dump truck. When we get to the customers house, we just dump and go unless it's a widowed woman or the man tips extra. You will lose time and money stacking. The money is made before cold cold days or snow days. If you stack every delivery, you'll lose money. We had a $3000 day right before the last snow. I will probably buy out the firewood business when the boss retires from the tree work