Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Around the Campfire

Old 01-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Location: Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
Default Any old, OLD wrasslin fans?

I remember watching wrasslin with my Dad, back when Rick Steiner was starting out with Kevin Sullivan's Varsity Club. It seems to me, that one of his gimmicks was an imaginary little friend that he carried around in a little box.

Can anyone else remember the storyline, or is it just something I only think I remember?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:41 PM

I ate it up when I was a kid.

Funny enough, my sister and her boyfriend ended up having dinner with Rick Steiner not too long ago.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnake View Post
I ate it up when I was a kid.

Funny enough, my sister and her boyfriend ended up having dinner with Rick Steiner not too long ago.
I think he owns the Shoney's in Acworth. It may be his brother Scott though.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:10 PM

My 52 y/o BIL STILL thinks it's real..

My Dad used to like El-Mongo..
That was in the 70's.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quirk View Post
I remember watching wrasslin with my Dad, back when Rick Steiner was starting out with Kevin Sullivan's Varsity Club. It seems to me, that one of his gimmicks was an imaginary little friend that he carried around in a little box.

Can anyone else remember the storyline, or is it just something I only think I remember?
Seem's like I remember his partner being Mike Rotunda
Old 01-19-2018, 05:16 PM

yes.....mid atlantic championship wrestling.....every sat afternoon.....
Old 01-19-2018, 05:19 PM
useless thread starter

El Mongol.........................met him........
Old 01-19-2018, 05:19 PM

The Bullit Bob Armstrong, Dusty Rhodes, Mr. Wrestling 1&2, Harley Race, etc. Used to watch them every Saturday night from the old Atlanta Auditorium. Great entertainment for a kid.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:20 PM
useless thread starter

Old school.....................try Chief Little Eagle...........
Old 01-19-2018, 05:21 PM
useless thread starter

Bob Armstrong was a fireman and a really nice guy...............
Old 01-19-2018, 05:22 PM

Up in Chattanooga, there was the usual story lines. You had the good 'uns, the bad 'uns, and the good 'uns who went bad and back again. On the good side, you had Bearcat Brown, Jackie Fargo, Jerry​ Jarret, and a handful of local up-and-coming wrasslers. For the bad side, there was Tojo Yammomoto, and The Germans with their evil manager Sol Weingroff. They were always pulling stuff out of their trunks like nickel rolls and salt packets to fling into their opponent,s eyes.

My mother was sure to be in our old green upolstered rocker at precisely 5:00 pm for the matches that were broadcast on WDEF in Chattanooga. The bad guys would always pull off some evil hibatchery to draw in the Saturday night regulars at the Memorial Auditorium in for the grudge match.

Harry Thornton and Nick Goulas were the promoters for all of this. That is, iffin' I remember the details right... Not as if I enjoyed this mess or anything.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:24 PM
useless thread starter

I loved it.................
Old 01-19-2018, 05:32 PM
Administrator

The earliest ones I can remember offhand were Wahoo McDaniels, Jay Youngblood, Gene and Ole Anderson, Bobo Brazil, and Ivan Koloff. we used to go watch the pro rasslin' at the junior high school gym. My wife's older sister dated Ricky Steamboat for awhile back in the 70s. She said he was not a very nice guy.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:39 PM

"Andre The Giant" was so big he would step over the ropes. I always felt sorry for the poor guy that had to get in the ring with him.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:39 PM

Just remembered Abdullah the Butcher . Classic bad guy.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:40 PM

Oh yea. Had to go outside and turn the antenna to get channel 4 out of Spartanburg on Saturday. Abdullah the Butcher, The Iron Shek, Big John Stud, ..... good times!!
Old 01-19-2018, 05:43 PM

I grew up with the old GA Championship Wresting/NWA (I think?) days. Lot of the folks mentioned above made their way through there. Also Tommy Wildfire Rich, Stan Hansen, Abdullah the Butcher, the Midnight Express, the Rock and Roll Express, Tony Atlas, Harley Race, and the early Ric Flair days. Also remember those two skinny Mulkey Brothers that used to get their tails kicked by all the good ones on the Sat afternoon shows. Used to love Gordon Soley's commentating on the matches, he could make up all kind of muscles, bones and body parts and make it all sound so real.

This stuff today just isn't the same, won't watch it.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Oh yea. Had to go outside and turn the antenna to get channel 4 out of Spartanburg on Saturday. Abdullah the Butcher, The Iron Shek, Big John Stud, ..... good times!!
4 was Greenville, 7 was Spartanburg. We had to climb up the bank and over the barbwire fence to the briar patch on top of the hill to turn it while somebody hung out the winder and hollered at you which way to turn it, and that it was rolling.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:47 PM

And the Freebirds!

We used to go the VFW Fairgrounds in Carrollton for wresting back in the 1970's to the early 80's. There was an elderly lady who was always there that everyone called "Granny". She would get up in their face and beat them with her purse or an umbrella. She was almost as good as show as any of the wrestlers. Good times that seem long gone now.....
Old 01-19-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Had to go outside and turn the antenna
Yep, can remember having to have a team of folks to get the antenna turned just so my Grandpa could watch wrestling, among other things
Old 01-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Yup, I use to watch WCW Saturday night. My favorite wrestler was wildfire Tommy Rich. He had this move called the figure 4 I use to get my brother in all the time. I also liked Barron Von Raske. His move was the claw. My brother hated that one too. Tony Atlas, Ted Dibiase to name a few. I use to go down to the Omni and watch them live.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHillbilly View Post
The earliest ones I can remember offhand were Wahoo McDaniels, Jay Youngblood, Gene and Ole Anderson, Bobo Brazil, and Ivan Koloff. we used to go watch the pro rasslin' at the junior high school gym. My wife's older sister dated Ricky Steamboat for awhile back in the 70s. She said he was not a very nice guy.
Did he make her call him The Dragon?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryork View Post
I grew up with the old GA Championship Wresting/NWA (I think?) days. Lot of the folks mentioned above made their way through there. Also Tommy Wildfire Rich, Stan Hansen, Abdullah the Butcher, the Midnight Express, the Rock and Roll Express, Tony Atlas, Harley Race, and the early Ric Flair days. Also remember those two skinny Mulkey Brothers that used to get their tails kicked by all the good ones on the Sat afternoon shows. Used to love Gordon Soley's commentating on the matches, he could make up all kind of muscles, bones and body parts and make it all sound so real.

This stuff today just isn't the same, won't watch it.
^^^ This is what I grew up watching ^^^ I remember when the Mulkey Brothers actually won a match once. The crowd went crazy. The next week I remember some girls in the front row holding up a sign that said "Mulkey Mania". lol
Old 01-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryork View Post
And the Freebirds!

We used to go the VFW Fairgrounds in Carrollton for wresting back in the 1970's to the early 80's. There was an elderly lady who was always there that everyone called "Granny". She would get up in their face and beat them with her purse or an umbrella. She was almost as good as show as any of the wrestlers. Good times that seem long gone now.....
I saw an old woman get arrested in Waynesville one time for hitting Gene Anderson in the head with a metal folding chair when he was sneaking up outside the ring to do something nefarious to somebody that Ole had pinned down in the corner while the referee was distracted.

An old boy I went to high school with hated Ricky Steamboat with a black passion. We were up at the junior high school gym watching the rasslin' one night, and somebody had a pint of white likker. We fed Rodney a bunch of it, and told him that we bet he could whup that ol' fake rassler, he oughta show him what a mountain boy could do in a real fight.

The wrestlers were dressing in the boys' locker room, and when they called their match, would come out of the locker room between the pull-out bleachers. Rodney determined that he was gonna whup ricky Steamboat, so he got up on the end of the bleachers right above the path from the locker room. When Ricky came out, Rodney squalled and leaped off the bleachers on him. Ricky looked up and saw him, and out of instinct, karate chopped him right across the throat. Rodney laid there while Ricky went out to rassle. Rodney didn't show back up at school for about a week, and then he had one of those collar things around his neck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red neck richie View Post
Yup, I use to watch WCW Saturday night. My favorite wrestler was wildfire Tommy Rich. He had this move called the figure 4 I use to get my brother in all the time. I also liked Barron Von Raske. His move was the claw. My brother hated that one too. Tony Atlas, Ted Dibiase to name a few. I use to go down to the Omni and watch them live.
I'd forgotten about him. And the Iron Sheik. And the One Man Gang.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:11 PM

Ole Anderson lives here in Toccoa now. His health isn't the best. He fell off a ladder at his house a few years back, and still has issues from that.

I use to see him on a regular basis at Quincy's. Ole was loud and use to tell everybody in Quincy's just what he thought about Obama. lol