GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing
Notices

Old 02-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Default Boating / HP Limits on Southeast Lakes?

My wife and I have been hoping to bass fish some new waters this year and a list of where all we could go would be awesome. Our first boat bought back in October '16 is a 20' Stratos with a 175. I'd hate to pull that thing several hours only to have to turn around or try to come up with a backup place to fish. I know from posts here that there are several smaller lakes that have 25HP, 10HP, and even Electric Only limits. Is there a list of all this information somewhere?

We're located right in the middle of the state. As far as fishing from the boat, we have only fished fish Sinclair, Oconee, and a small private lake in Laurens County. We know we wanna go to Blackshear, Seminole, and Eufaula and those are huge. What about some smaller lakes?

We've also got some new kayak trips planned, but we're kinda set on them. If work/life/kids allows we'll report back on how we do. God bless and tight lines!
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2018, 08:13 PM

Don't know of a list of lakes and HP restrictions. Closest thing I found is the link immediately below:
http://www.n-georgia.com/lakes_rivers2.htm

I noticed some info is inaccurate on this link, e.g. Stone Mountain Venable lake is way out of date by about 30 yrs.

Generally speaking, if it is a smaller drinking water Reservoir it will be electric only.

State Parks vary Check them here: http://gastateparks.org/ParkBoating

Some places allow big motor boats but use TM only. Some like Stone Mountain Big motors >10HP now have to remove prop because some people abused the no big motor use rule.

Last edited by BoosterC; 02-03-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:24 PM

BelAir, you are welcome to come fish my pond, it's pushing 9 acres and loaded with bass, bluegill, crappie, and a few cats. It would be kayaks or a trolling motor, no trailer access. Wheeler county.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosterC View Post
Don't know of a list of lakes and HP restrictions. Generally speaking, if it is a smaller drinking water Reservoir it will be electric only.

State Parks vary Check them here: http://gastateparks.org/ParkBoating

Some places allow big motor boats but use TM only. Some like Stone Mountain Big motors >10HP now have to remove prop because some people abused the no big motor use rule.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I need to make up a list of the places we might want to go and make a post asking about each one. Stone Mountain would be one along with High Falls. I wouldn't mind taking the prop off and using only the trolling motor....have to take it off to check for old fishing line from time to time anyway.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTS View Post
BelAir, you are welcome to come fish my pond, it's pushing 9 acres and loaded with bass, bluegill, crappie, and a few cats. It would be kayaks or a trolling motor, no trailer access. Wheeler county.
Thank you for the invitation. I'll send you a PM.