; Ideas on where to go - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Fly Fishing

Old 02-07-2018, 09:24 AM
Default Ideas on where to go

I am in no way looking for anyone's spot in this post I am just looking for some ideas for an upcoming trip. I've lived here in Georgia for a couple years now, but with the craziness of getting married, buying a foreclosure and renovating it, and having a baby I haven't had too much time out in the woods. Me and a buddy or two are looking to get away for 2 nights in late March/early April and I'm looking for some ideas of places to head. We're looking for some fun off-road trails, seclusion(as much as possible), and somewhere to cast a line and camp. My first thought when I look at the criteria is Cohutta, but I've never been in that part of the state so not even sure where to start there. I've done a good bit of exploring in the Suches area, but it's usually pretty crowded. I live in Cumming so I have pretty good access to North Georgia. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and anyone interested would be welcome to join. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:34 AM

Look around the ranger camp in dahlonega. Lots of stocked streams and camping in the area. It also doesn't get real crowded during the week. If you want to fight the locals for stocked trout go to rock creek or coopers creek. You can also try Boggs creek and dukes creek nearby. One of the streams off of dukes creek is wma barbless hooks only.

All those spots are about an hour to 1.5 from cumming.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:44 AM

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/g...river-trail--2
Old 02-07-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgeorgiasportsman View Post
This is one of the places I was looking at. Thanks for the link!
Old 02-07-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyHoel View Post
Look around the ranger camp in dahlonega. Lots of stocked streams and camping in the area. It also doesn't get real crowded during the week. If you want to fight the locals for stocked trout go to rock creek or coopers creek. You can also try Boggs creek and dukes creek nearby. One of the streams off of dukes creek is wma barbless hooks only.

All those spots are about an hour to 1.5 from cumming.
Thanks Pappy! I definitely don't want to fight to fish looking to stay away from crowds as much as possible. I backpacked most of the GA section of the AT and one night we we're staying close to a road and had what seemed like the whole military go by in the middle of the night. Found out after the trip we were by the ranger base.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCox View Post
Thanks Pappy! I definitely don't want to fight to fish looking to stay away from crowds as much as possible. I backpacked most of the GA section of the AT and one night we we're staying close to a road and had what seemed like the whole military go by in the middle of the night. Found out after the trip we were by the ranger base.
Any of those streams around the ranger camp will hold trout and not as many people as the others I listed. One of my secret spots is up around the ranger camp and holds native fish.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyHoel View Post
Any of those streams around the ranger camp will hold trout and not as many people as the others I listed. One of my secret spots is up around the ranger camp and holds native fish.
If you're ever driving around up there and happen to see a burgundy lifted Jeep cherokee with Forsyth plates feel free to stop in and say hey.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:50 PM

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/g...ga-river-trail

This is another good trip if you don't mind hiking. I enjoyed the Jacks river trail also. The fishing was better for me the further upstream on both rivers.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeardley View Post

This is another good trip if you don't mind hiking. I enjoyed the Jacks river trail also. The fishing was better for me the further upstream on both rivers.
That's another good one, and probably less traveled than Jack's river trail.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeardley View Post

We definitely don't mind hiking. Thanks for the pointers! I'm going to end up with multiple trips worth of places to go this summer! I'm just trying to get back into fly fishing(used to fish for bass and bream in Florida) and I've never tried for trout on the fly so I'm really excited for this upcoming spring and summer!