“Sweet Daddy” Grace founded the United House of Prayer!

Artfuldodger

Artfuldodger

Interesting in that they believed in apostolic succession. This was also in the eras where one believed you had to live a holy life. They were not all about OSAS.
I think they got some stuff right but a lot more wrong.

StriperAddict

I've more than had my fill of the charismatic ... um, presumptuous movement.

gordon 2

Holy Spirit yes.
Calling fourth miracles with my mouth (aka replacing God) ... no.

Huge diff !
Yes I understand what you mean regards calling forth miracles with the mouth. Sad indeed. However isn't this a learning experience for an assembly, indeed for the pastor(s). And yet from this "no" I personally have witnessed that despite pastor inviting circuit prophets to minister to the bible campers and finding the pastor needing not heed to their messages, yet that to the assembly and not from the pulpit, and not from the callers of miracles, the glory came to all.

Artfuldodger

My question as it pertains to those who went to hear this man, and others in apostolic succession after him, how do we explain what they felt in terms of the Holy Spirit?
In other words, how do we know that what they indeed felt was or wasn't the Holy Spirit?
I've been around some charismatic, Pentecostal, Holiness, people including my own kin and co-workers. I felt like I was feeling the Holy Spirit in those times, just as they were.

The Bible says to test the spirits but if one is overcome, how do we really know what we have been overcome with?
I'm guess there isn't really a true answer and we just have to go with what we believe at that time.

It does seem like though at some point in history that these events mentioned with the Great Commission were more important than they are now.

Artfuldodger

Bishop Grace, was God’s choice for the only ‘divine leader’ of today. In light of the foregoing one of the many criticisms made against Grace is the following statement which Grace is to have allegedly made in the early 1940s: “Salvation is by Grace only. Grace has given God a vacation, and since He is on vacation, don’t worry about Him. If you sin against God, Grace can save you, but if you sin against Grace, God cannot save you.”

He also said that the he was the Comforter, thus giving God a vacation.

StriperAddict

Yes I understand what you mean regards calling forth miracles with the mouth. Sad indeed. However isn't this a learning experience for an assembly, indeed for the pastor(s). And yet from this "no" I personally have witnessed that despite pastor inviting circuit prophets to minister to the bible campers and finding the pastor needing not heed to their messages, yet that to the assembly and not from the pulpit, and not from the callers of miracles, the glory came to all.
If I understand you correctly, yes, miracles do happen in ... saints homes, assemblies of the redeemed, and those tearful or joyous grappling's with God that rightly end with, "and not my will but Yours be done Abba Father!"

We just don't get to dictate outcomes, yet we live by faith = contentment.

Miracles are God's gifts, however infrequent, which makes them miracles.
Every good gift comes down from the Father of Lights.

If you and I ever receive such a gift (and I'm sure you have, as I, and to whatever degree you see such a one - your heart knows), don't let your thinking take it as some moment of heavenly approval rating.

You are already complete and approved IN Christ, not of yourselves, this is the real gift of Christ -- that keeps on giving, what? Yes, contentment!

And yes, with or without healings & miracles. That's Daddy's business.

Consider ...
6 But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment.
7 For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it, either.
8 If we have food and [a]covering, with these we shall be content.
See 1 Timothy 6:6-11.

Peace

StriperAddict

The skinny on this is not to let the showy stuff be any sort of motivation in religious pride or pharisee-type manipulation in our minds. It looks good but the outcome is still awful spiritually dead, twisted flesh. Christ warned of the false miracles and prophets towards the end of the age.

To answer Art, some miracles which the Spirit revealed to us - are gifts in God's place and time, not our summoning. Enjoy them, be thankful.

Other times you will witness false miracles that will exalt the "prophet" (aka head slapper, slayer), and people will pour into these meetings due to the leaders deception.
Many who are void of the Spirit will get drunk on earthly gains, prosperity etc, and others even believers, will walk in ignorance. I know I did for YEARS.
Either way, if you have good growth in your identity in Christ, in grace, and have discernment, please for the love of all things holy - snatch them poor souls out of that presumptuous fire!

With gentleness and reverence, of course! Not letting yourself be carried away as well.