03 f150, AC.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
1. Blowing hot air only. I mean hot. Not luke warm

2. The vacume (control head) shifts readily from defrost, vent, floor, etc, seems to be no trouble there.

3. I can hear the compressor engage (or trying to engage), leads me to believe the switches, relays, and fuses are fine.

4. It has worked perfectly until today, whatever has happened, it's not a gradual breakdown. Happened instantly.

What do you think the problem is? Step 1= try to not take it to the shop! Thanks in advance.

transfixer

Its probably the blend door actuator , or the door itself that's stuck, youtube has some videos about it.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Its probably the blend door actuator , or the door itself that's stuck, youtube has some videos about it.

Im afraid so too. Wonder if I take the truck on a rough ride, maybe jump some ditches and logs if it will un-jam it's self

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Pull up you tube and watch the videos. You can replace the blend door actuator and the blend door with out removing the dash. I have done it this way and it works.

Watch the videos and take your time.

GoldDot40

My money is on the blend doors too. I have installed and highly recommend replacement parts from a company called Heater Treater. Their replacement blend doors are metal and won't break. It's fairly easy to determine if yours are broken or the actuators are malfunctioning.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
The blend doors are very problematic on that truck. I haven't had an issue with my 2000 model, but my neighbor recently had to fix his on his '02. He said he was able to get to it under the dash.

Cmp1

BANNED
My money is on the blend doors too. I have installed and highly recommend replacement parts from a company called Heater Treater. Their replacement blend doors are metal and won't break. It's fairly easy to determine if yours are broken or the actuators are malfunctioning.

This right here,,,, had to replace mine on my Dodge,,,,

GA native

It would be worthwhile to put a gauge on your AC lines, to check the pressure. Nothing worse than spending time, money, and effort, to not fix the problem.

If the compressor is cycling in and out, you have a refrigerant issue.

GoldDot40

This right here,,,, had to replace mine on my Dodge,,,,

Dodge trucks are notorious for breaking blend doors. Last one I did was an '06. It has a total of 5 doors...4/5 were boken, so I went ahead and replaced all 5 while I had it apart. These metal replacment doors will outlast the truck. This is about a $1400 job thru a dealership...and you can bet they will put OE plastic doors back in it.
hqLcg3E.jpg

X3R6xMV.jpg

sw4Awbi.jpg

marathon

Probably blend door actuator. Try this: after letting engine warm up to operating temperature turn on just the vent, no a/c, fan on hi, turn temperature slowly from hot to cold. You should be able to hear or feel a difference in airflow if blend door and actuator are both in working order. If not, then problem is in one or both of the above. Most usually actuator. If you remove actuator you can put your finger in the slot of the door and move it back and forth to check it, you'll know if something's wrong with the door if there's a problem. Happy hunting..

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
GoldDot can I borrow that booger light to rest my steering column?

Thanks for all the replies and the link to the replacement door.

GoldDot40

OK here is the Heater Treater. You can install it through the glove box as well;

http://heatertreater.net/ford-f150-97-04

The main reason I pull the whole box out is because if you follow their video, they want you to use a dremel tool and cut away 'access points' to get to the doors. You'd have an unbelievable mess that way. I do have to recover, vacuum and recharge the AC due to removing the entire box, but I know it's 110% correct and will last a lifetime.

Those Heater Treater doors are worth every penny.

jigman29

Just replaced the blend door actuator on my 2001 f250. Before buying one just pop it off and see if its turning when you switch from hot to cold. Very easy to tell.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Update. I got the heater box (floor box) and the actuator pulled off. It wasn't actuating with adjustment to the controls. I put on a new one-- it is also not actuating with the controls. Makes me wonder if the head unit is sending the voltage. Anybody?

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Ok!! The burley chick at autozone gave me an actuator that fits my model but was for manual temp control. Mine (lariat) is electronic. So the hawt chick at O'Reilly's gave me the right one, and to my amazement- it worked. The work was straitforward but involved to most aggravating hard to reach screws nuts bolts I've ever encountered. Truck is fixed. Actuator it was. Thread closed. Thanks for all the help^^^