1/26/18-Lanier-surprise catch

Kestas69

Fishing was slow for me. Never find significant bait or fish concentration. Caught a few on steep banks and a couple on spoon. At some point big fish arch appears on my fish finder screen. I backed up and casted my lure. Got hit on the fall and set the hook. For a minute thought I am pulling in record bass, but it was behaving differently. Saw a color and got excited for a second again-huge walleye! Moments later pulled in this carp. Not what I was hoping but still cool. It is my second carp on spinning and plastic lure.

Attachments

• 3624E977-1E27-4868-B37E-E932E23EB764.jpeg
    3624E977-1E27-4868-B37E-E932E23EB764.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,510
  • ACCD98AB-D6DB-460C-AA70-F6E5595410D9.jpeg
    ACCD98AB-D6DB-460C-AA70-F6E5595410D9.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,510

buckscout

Pretty exciting!! Easy to catch something you aren’t fishing for on Lanier. There are so many different aggressive species.

Coenen

I thought carp were supposed to go dormant-ish in cold water temps. Learn something new every day. I do know that they're big time opportunistic feeders. I'm sure they're finding a way to munch on these tiny threadfin shad, just like everything else right now.

They'll give you about all you could want on light tackle too. They get a bad rap with anglers, IMO.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Highly treasured table fare in some cultures.......................but so are chilled monkey brains................

bilgerat

Senior
theres an old recipe where you stuff a carp with all kinds of spices and butter, rub it down with more spices and oils , then bake it for hours on a cedar plank , then you throw the fish in the trash and eat the board

Coenen

Highly treasured table fare in some cultures.......................but so are chilled monkey brains................
The only thing that me, a carp, and dinner have in common is that sometimes there's corn involved.

Carp are sort of like pay-doh food, "Fun to play with, not to eat!"

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Y’all just got to know how to cook em , nice catch !

Teh Wicked

Never caught one, but I really want to just for the fun of it. I enjoy being able to target as many species as possible.

jocko755

I've heard guys fillet carp (cube cut) and put the flesh in mason jars to ferment and make catfish stink bait.

LureheadEd

My 80 year old Mom said carp was a traditional Christmas Eve dinner when she was growing up in Germany...They paid big bucks for 'em...

Kestas69

Well, carp in Europe is a little different than carp here. Same thing for perch. Same family, same name, similar look but... they’re different. Many years ago I caught a lot of carps in Europe and they’re good eating. Can’t say the same about carps from Lanier or Chattahoochee. Not even remotely close.