1 man trip down the hooch -- how to shuttle?

ryanh487

I'm getting antsy for some trout fishing. So antsy that I'm about to buy a fishing kayak just to float down the hooch. Only problem is, I'd be going during weekdays and fishing alone. I'd like to float from Buford dam down until I get tired of fishing/paddling, probably around abbott's bridge or so. Is there any pay shuttle service to take me back up afterwards? Or is there any smart way to secure my kayak, like with a cable lock or something to a tree, while I uber to my car and then drive back to pick up the yak?

another option, has anyone tried one of the inflatable rafts/kayaks? At 40 lbs with a carry bag I could float down, break it down, toss it in an uber driver's trunk and be good to go. but if they're miserable to be in for 4-6 hours, it wouldn't be worth it... this one in particular had my attention: https://www.cabelas.com/product/BESTWAY-HYDRO-FORCE-MARINE-PRO/2775747.uts?slotId=3

Last edited:

killabig1

The shuttle is always a predicament when going down river.
I don't know of any shuttle options other than uber or a friend. I've tried bumming a ride on well-used rivers but I don't think it'd work in metro Atlanta.
Another idea is to take a bicycle, but you would still have to leave your kayak while shuttling. I'd definitely lock it up either way.
Try the "need a partner" post at the top of this category or find a friend who likes to fish also.

weagle

I just bought my first Kayak a few months back and I've been fishing the Hooch a lot. I'm very close so I usually go spur of the moment and alone. I have been putting in at Jones Bridge, McGinnis Ferry, and off of Riverside where the Hooch goes under 400. I fish up and down the river about a half mile at most and take out where I put in. There is plenty of good trout fishing in those areas and I usually put in, paddle up a 100 yds or so, fish a while and repeat. Before you know it you are a pretty good ways up stream and you can float back down, fishing all the spots along the way.

I'd love to do some longer floats and shuttle back, but I would probably get to fish 50% less if I only went when I could arrange a shuttle.

The last couple of days the river has been a mud hole, but I've been killing the trout the last few weeks.

jrnfr5O.jpg

YmvBWBh.jpg

G3WhNuT.jpg

leoparddog

I've launched at Abbots and Settles bridge and paddled upstream and floated back down. Not too hard to do. At Settles bridge there is a small fast riffle that took some work to get past. Paddling upstream from Abbots was pretty easy.

GeorgiaBob

The only problem with the inflatable idea is that almost ALL of the "inexpensive" inflatables (under about $500 in retail price) are little better than pool floats. The durability is non-existent, and they simply lack the integral structure to resist punctures.

For the money, a lightweight kayak is much smarter. It may not fit in an "Uber" trunk, but at least you won't have to swim to shore!

ryanh487

Well I actually solved the problem and got an old outboard I have running and got a new Jon boat to put it on lol. I will definitely remember the advice though, because I do enjoy kayaking and will likely own one again when my garage space allows for it.

j_seph

The shuttle is always a predicament when going down river.
I don't know of any shuttle options other than uber or a friend. I've tried bumming a ride on well-used rivers but I don't think it'd work in metro Atlanta.
Another idea is to take a bicycle, but you would still have to leave your kayak while shuttling. I'd definitely lock it up either way.
Try the "need a partner" post at the top of this category or find a friend who likes to fish also.
Stash and lock bike up down river and buy one of these and pedal back to truck
trayak3_sm2.jpg

j_seph

I just bought my first Kayak a few months back and I've been fishing the Hooch a lot. I'm very close so I usually go spur of the moment and alone. I have been putting in at Jones Bridge, McGinnis Ferry, and off of Riverside where the Hooch goes under 400. I fish up and down the river about a half mile at most and take out where I put in. There is plenty of good trout fishing in those areas and I usually put in, paddle up a 100 yds or so, fish a while and repeat. Before you know it you are a pretty good ways up stream and you can float back down, fishing all the spots along the way.

I'd love to do some longer floats and shuttle back, but I would probably get to fish 50% less if I only went when I could arrange a shuttle.

The last couple of days the river has been a mud hole, but I've been killing the trout the last few weeks.

G3WhNuT.jpg
Love that zebco

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
My float tube is like sitting in a recliner for less than $200. Make sure to wear a life jacket though.

Teh Wicked

I kayak from Buford Dam to Settles Bridge all the time in my Vibe Sea Ghost 130

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Stash and lock bike up down river and buy one of these and pedal back to truck
trayak3_sm2.jpg

It's a long dangerous bike ride from McGinnis Ferry to Settles Bridge.;)

ripplerider

If youre willing to buy used you can get a very durable inflateable kayak for $500 or so, maybe considerably less. Definitely not a "pool toy". I paddled an Aire Lynx 2 inflatable for more than 20 years on some pretty challenging whitewater and still sold it for well over $500. It wasnt even close to being worn out. Theyre much tougher than you'd think. Aire uses an outer shell of flexible PVC with an inner bladder made of urethane which is what actually holds the air. You can drag a lure over the PVC all day without it hanging up much less actually puncturing both layers of material. Theres room for a couple of rods, a tacklebox and a smaller cooler easily. I only sold mine because I bought a more high performance Thrillseeker inflateable kayak thats a little easier on my abused shoulders to paddle. I'm actually thinking of trading it to a friend for another Lynx 2 since my whitewater days are coming to a much regretted end due to a shoulder replacement and I'll be focusing on float- fishing in the future.

I definitely wouldnt consider a raft if youre going to be paddling solo.