100% Disability...

Anyone on here get 100% disability? I have a few questions regarding the ability to get a job while 100% disabled but the VA office will not answer the phone and the rep on my base is in the hospital...

hoochfisher

Banned
Tgattis, i love that avatar!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mel

Try Benefits Navigator. They're very good with the labor laws and disability stuff.

http://www.bpaoga.com/

I guess i should have been a bit more clear. I was referring to 10% disability through the Military. I do not intend to claim SSDI because i intend to get a job but had questions in regards to it...i guess i will have to wait till Monday.

merc123

I asked my E7 today about this. He said that it didn't work the same way as SSDI that you could get a job. Don't take it as fact...but if you do find out please post.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
VA Disability

Hope this helps.

Can Working Veterans Receive Disability Benefits?

Yes. Most veterans receiving Disability Compensation continue to work, as they have no prohibitions on obtaining and/or maintaining employment. Only those few who receive a higher rating because they are considered “Unemployable” would run into problems by working. Some veterans receiving Disability Compensation can even continue their military service, although they can not receive military pay and disability payments at the same time (in these cases, disability payments are temporarily suspended during periods of military service).

Veterans receiving Non-Service Connected Pension can also work part-time so long as their income does not exceed the income cap for the program. If they are capable of working full-time, they would not meet the 100% disabled requirement for this benefits.

More info at this state website...

http://veterans.vermont.gov/benefits/vadisability

flyfisher76544

Please make sure you post your findings Bowhunter, I might be in the same boat as you. They are already talking about changing my MOS and that was after the second appointment.:eek:

You can get a normal job but if you work in a field that is against your profile or the information regarding your disability which is in your VA findings, you could be found facing fraud charges or at the very least, an alteration of your disability rating.

SouthernAngler

You can get a normal job but if you work in a field that is against your profile or the information regarding your disability which is in your VA findings, you could be found facing fraud charges or at the very least, an alteration of your disability rating.

I had a guy i was in the USAF with draw disability when he got out and he now works security for a VA in Penn. But, I reserve my opinion on that dude though...i think he's just milking the system...

duckdawgdixie

i get 20% va disability and yes you can work full time but you have to find a job that you can do with your particular disability, that was the hard part for me

i get 20% va disability and yes you can work full time but you have to find a job that you can do with your particular disability, that was the hard part for me

They scrutinize even more when you get more disability such as 70% and higher...be thankful

SouthernAngler

They scrutinize even more when you get more disability such as 70% and higher...be thankful
Being a legit Iraq war vetran and an honest soldier I truley hope you get what you are entitled to bud. Those folks at the VA are pretty heartless to the honest folks. I just don't understand their thinking sometimes

Being a legit Iraq war vetran and an honest soldier I truley hope you get what you are entitled to bud. Those folks at the VA are pretty heartless to the honest folks. I just don't understand their thinking sometimes

Yes your right. I saw a soldier with 4 knee surgeries, 1 new knee cap along with 6 pins and 2 rods in his arm get only 50% disability total while another soldier who got drunk and jumped off a 3rd story balcony got the same thing with having just 2 pins in his ankle and a knee replacement. It really depends on who is doing the rating that month. There are new raters for the Army every month.

duckdawgdixie

for me the scrutiny wasnt an issue it was findin a job that i could properly function in, since all i did before the military was corrections and helpin my granddad farm but that one really doesnt count lol, and at this point corrections really is not an opption for me, but hopefully come august ill be a 25 year old college freshman

for me the scrutiny wasnt an issue it was findin a job that i could properly function in, since all i did before the military was corrections and helpin my granddad farm but that one really doesnt count lol, and at this point corrections really is not an opption for me, but hopefully come august ill be a 25 year old college freshman

Way to go DDD!!!!! College was way to fun for me to do over again at 30! I would have to go get a stash of pills for older men that you need prescribed...I think i might be able to get some from a few folks on here if i give them some shine in return!

sawyerrt10

I was recently given 100% permanent and total disability rating by the VA for service-connected chronic kidney disease. I called my state VA office and was told that I could continue to work.
However, I am resigning from my job effective 31 July 2009. I am still in relatively good health (not on dialysis yet). While it will be a little tough, we can afford for me not to work. So I will become a house husband, while doing some remodeling on our house.

I was told I could not work if I got SSDI, however. They have some sort of cap on what you can earn I believe.

Also, since I qualify for the Post 9-11 GI Bill, I will probably head back to school in January.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
I was recently given 100% permanent and total disability rating by the VA for service-connected chronic kidney disease. I called my state VA office and was told that I could continue to work.
However, I am resigning from my job effective 31 July 2009. I am still in relatively good health (not on dialysis yet). While it will be a little tough, we can afford for me not to work. So I will become a house husband, while doing some remodeling on our house.

I was told I could not work if I got SSDI, however. They have some sort of cap on what you can earn I believe.

Also, since I qualify for the Post 9-11 GI Bill, I will probably head back to school in January.

:hair: Sawyer!!! Hate to hear this about you!!! I hope everything works out for you, I'll keep you in my thoughts & prayers, friend! :flag:

Randy

Don't get me started on disability. If you are 100% disabled you had better not be sitting in a deer stand hunting or fishing all day.:banginghe

I have a neighbor that is 100% disabled. He has the nicest yard on the street. Cuts grass and and rakes leaves every day. Even makes a little money on the side "working" on another neighbor's yard. I have a cousin that was paralized from chest down from a surfing accident. He owns his own yard service but can't get a job cutting the neighbors grass because the neighbor on 100% disability is doing it for less.

SELFBOW

One of my customers has both knees replaced. He use to do tile work but now is on 100% disability because he's unable to do the "same" work as before.