10mm guns

AVS23

I’m thinking of acquiring a 10mm for hunting. I hand loadand no is I’ll somewhat push the load.

Can the kimber stainless ii target ls with stand hotloaded 10mm?

If not would the Glock 40 be a better choice ?

I have the Kimber. Had it about a year and have shot 1500 rounds of lswc. I know because I just finished my third box of 500 Missouri bullets. I'm sure the glock is great but you can't shoot lead without changing to an aftermarket barrel, such as a Wolf. My carry gun is a 1911 style weapon so the kimber was an easy choice for me. I dont think you are going to shoot enough to wear either out unless you have deep pockets and a lot of range time.(I dont know about "hot loads". I have never loaded max)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

Lilly001

I like my G40 w/ Burris red dot on it.
I used to be, still am I guess, a 1911 fan but my G40 shoots better for me than all but a dressed 1911.

Tom W.

The myth about shooting cast bullets in a Glock is just that, a myth. I had three, a 17, a 19 and a 30 and shot cast exclusively. No problems, no leading, just fired them happily. Bullet fit and a good lube are the keys.

But as to the OP, you might want to check out the Ruger 1911 model in 10 mm....it looks might good and as you already have a 1911 there shouldn't be much of a learning curve.

I have a gift for creating loads that lead my barrel. I kinda enjoy rapping choir boy around a brass brush and scrubbing! But in truth I don't want to perpetuate a myth about Glocks; however it is Glock that says not to shoot lead bullets in their firearms. If it is a myth, it is a myth of their own making.

godogs57

I shoot a Colt Delta Elite with Black Talons. They work great. Also shoot an Ed Brown Special Forces. Love that 1911 platform.

AVS23

I’ve been shooting the same kimber stainless ii since 2006. 45acp reloading for it for a few years and I can honestly say I cannot shoot Another pistol as good as that one.

I plan to shoot a glock in about a week, I’m getting some BB loads and will borrow a neighbors pistol.

Either way I absolutely plan to put a red dot on it.

pacecars

I have had 10mm in the Glock, DW, S&W 610 and 1066, EAA, RIA, Sig, Ruger, Kimber and Springfield. For hunting I would go with the 1911 platform over the Glock if for no other reason than the trigger. You might consider a DE Bruin with the 6 inch barrel. My current favorite 10mm is my Springfield Elite RO. I carry it every day and plan to use it hunting since it is scary accurate. I have been getting exceptional accuracy with the 220 gr WFNGC lead Doubletap loads

Lilly001

I have had 10mm in the Glock, DW, S&W 610 and 1066, EAA, RIA, Sig, Ruger, Kimber and Springfield. For hunting I would go with the 1911 platform over the Glock if for no other reason than the trigger. You might consider a DE Bruin with the 6 inch barrel. My current favorite 10mm is my Springfield Elite RO. I carry it every day and plan to use it hunting since it is scary accurate. I have been getting exceptional accuracy with the 220 gr WFNGC lead Doubletap loads
Wow. You really have a bad 10 mm habit!:shoot:

pdsniper

Glocks don't handle hot loads very well, so if your going to shoot hot loads go with a 1911 platform I shoot a STI Perfect 10 I also have 2 glock model 20 they do well with factory ammo but if you try to push them you will crack the frame

TomC

I actually prefer hot loads through a Glock frame than a 1911 frame or large caliber wheel gun for that matter and while there are always anomalies, Glock 10mm's have a very solid track record. Owned a bunch of 10mm's. REALLY like the Kimber but my favorite is the Glock 20SF (just like the SF grip) with a 6" KKM barrel. More so than ALL the other Glock 10mm's including the long slide Glock 40 10mm, 1911 platforms and some 10mm's that cost three times what the Glock does. 1911's are pretty but guns with VERY tight tolerances sometimes lose out to the ugly ducklings in term of reliability and a KKM barrel will challenge the accuracy of any 1911 barrel. The one 10mm I would shy away from is the Colt Delta Elite. Some controversy.......just research "case support Colt Delta Elite" and you can make your own judgement.

Last edited:

TurkeyH90

Interesting, I am somewhat new to the 10mm world but have always heard the exact opposite. Essentialy that the 1911 frame can't handle the super hot loads. I am shooting the 220 BB thru my G20 with a LW Barrell. No problems so far. I have heard from folks that put 1000s of rounds downrange every year that while shooting lead in the 9mm Glock Factory is Ok. Not to try it with a 10mms' high pressure.

hunter 85

From what I have heard the issue with 10mm in the Glock and even the colt delta is the unsupported barrel when firing full bore you run into over pressure issues and ruptured cases

frankwright

I don't load what most would call hot for my G20. I load 180 gr Hornady XTP's right at 1200 fps.
They will kill a pig or a deer DRT. I use a stock Glock barrel and get multiple times reloading the brass with no bad effects.

AVS23

I talked to a couple gun smith friends and both recommended the glock with a fully supported barrel for hot loads. Both said the 1911 would be problematic and often experienced feed problems in the 10mm.

I shot a glock 20 today. Put a box of underwood 150g jhp, and 5 Winchester silvertips 175 (I think).

Accuracy was good out to about 30 yards then fell off, I say due to shooter issues. It’s been 15 years since I’ve owned or shot a glock.
I enjoyed the glock and found it easy to attain point ability at close range.
I was not very impressed with the 10mm round, I truly hope these aren’t considered hot rounds, I was anticipating something similar to lighter power 44 mag loads. Can someone attest to where these rounds fall on the spectrum of warmth of the load?