10mm guns

I talked to a couple gun smith friends and both recommended the glock with a fully supported barrel for hot loads. Both said the 1911 would be problematic and often experienced feed problems in the 10mm.

I shot a glock 20 today. Put a box of underwood 150g jhp, and 5 Winchester silvertips 175 (I think).

Accuracy was good out to about 30 yards then fell off, I say due to shooter issues. It’s been 15 years since I’ve owned or shot a glock.
I enjoyed the glock and found it easy to attain point ability at close range.
I was not very impressed with the 10mm round, I truly hope these aren’t considered hot rounds, I was anticipating something similar to lighter power 44 mag loads. Can someone attest to where these rounds fall on the spectrum of warmth of the load?
It's not a 44 magnum. Compare the load data to a 357 and you will see it's not quite 357 energy levels. 357 can get another 100fps out of a 180 gn bullet. Even if you don't intend to reload the manual is a great tool. You can have all the data with no opinion involved to evaluate a cartridge. You dont need to go hotter to hunt. You just need the round to be effective within your effective range. 10mm is a fun club to be in, but it's not a 44 mag. Resized_20190813_064805.jpegResized_20190813_064913.jpeg

Last edited:
Honestly, if you want something to rattle the roof get a S&W 500. I shot one and it was a fine example of what smith can do. I think they put extra attention into that line. I promise you, it will make you say uncle before it does! You dont need to push the 10mm past its limits. Just buy the gun that suits you. I understand the urge to let loose some thunder. I shot a few 44 mag 20gn 2400 loads before I left the indoor range the other day and man, the blast was almost as big as my smile.

Last edited:

AVS23

I guess I was just expecting more considering some things I’ve read online. Not trying to blow a gun up I just typically load everything on the hotter side.

Tom W.

One of the deputies brought his 500 to the range. As it had a brake on it it wasn't bad at all to shoot, except for his wallet....?

AVS23

Couldn’t get the last images to load correctly so it’s a thumb nail.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve read a few sources state that the 10mm can beat the 357 and compete with the 41 mag.

I didn’t mean to come across vague in regard to seemingly comparing the 10 to the 44 mag, I was only talking recoil. Glock being lighter than a revolver. I know performance wise the 10mm doesn’t match the 44 mag.

frankwright

Underwood claims 1500 fps for the 150 gr but factory ammo rarely makes published data. Actual test on the Winchester shows 1142.
Both of those rounds are towards the upper end and not many go very much over it, so if that feels wimpy to you 10mm may not trip your trigger!

AVS23

NORMA took on the commitment, to produce the 10mm Auto brass cases and 10mm Auto ammunition in the spring of 1983, to include pre production prototyping and new powder development including making the ammunition part of their regular product line. NORMA, utilized a 5” test barrel with “Power-Seal” rifling (same as length as the full size Bren Ten to test the new ammo. The tested velocity was said to be 1260 feet per second which equates to 704 foot pounds of energy in April of 1983 with a 200 grain Jacketed Truncated Cone bullet with a 37,000 CUP (copper units of pressure) for a 10 shot average. This placed the energy between the 158 grain .357 magnum and the 240 grain .44 magnum performance and nearly equal to the .41 magnum. Also the accuracy was an outstanding 0.45” at 50 yards…NORMA then developed an even faster 170 grain Jacketed Hollow Point rated at 1300 feet per second and 636 foot pounds energy, introduced at SHOT in 1985 in Atlanta, Georgia.

I clipped this from this source

https://rangehot.com/original-10mm-ammo-made-ffv-norma-ab-·s-670-40-amotfors-sweden/

Does anyone know what this norms load might have been? I find it very obtuse due to the multitude of varying information one could find for published velocities for the 356,44,41 mag.

Reactions: Dub

AVS23

Very true frankwright. This is a habit of mine when I get interested in a round.
I did this exact thing with the 6.5 rifle rounds and wound up running a 6.5 Swede 140g at about 2650 FPS.

It took me 8 months to decide on using the 6.5 Swede from doing research like I am with the 10mm.

Dub

One of the deputies brought his 500 to the range. As it had a brake on it it wasn't bad at all to shoot, except for his wallet....?

I had a 10.5" barreled S&W 500 for a few years. It was a heavy beast, heavy barrel and had an intricate brake on the end.

Shooting it......recoil wise.....was on par with my .44mag Redhawk with the hunting loads in each.

Shooting it......wallet wise.....wasn't fun at all. The thing was painful financially to shoot. If I'd been reloading at the time I would have hung onto it.

pdsniper

What I shoot is a STI and its the gun and frame of choice with competitive shooters the are a bit different animal than a standard 1911, both my mod 20 glocks are fully built guns and I have had frames crack twice shooting max load 10 mm rounds threw them they hold up for a little while but if you shoot a lot of them threw them they cant handle it and the frame will stress crack down around the trigger guard, don't get me wrong I love glocks and I own several of them and in the 10 mm is the only one I have had that problem

rosewood

A 1911 with ramped barrel can handle anything a Glock can and more. I have a Para-Ordnance P16-40 with ramped 10mm barrel. I shoot a quite hot load of 200 grain WFN out of it at about 1225 FPS. Will kill just about anything on the planet. Never had any feed issues in the Para.

Saw Razor Dobbs kill a Cape Buffalo with his Dan Wesson 10mm using a 200 grain (or 220 not sure) hard cast boolit. Search for him on youtube.

Is the Kimber ramped or throated? I do frown on any 10mm that isn't in a fully supported ramped barrel.

Brother has a Auto Ordnance 10mm that was throated. Got it better than 20 years ago. Had a case blow out at the base where it wasn't supported. Ruined the mag spring and the brass. Recently bought a benchtop mill and cut his frame for a ramped barrel. Running like a singer now and I would put just about any 10mm load through it without a pause.

Rosewood

Reactions: Dub
APPLES TO ORANGES!!!

Am I the only one who sees the inconsistency in the 10mm vs. .357mag in the aforementioned data’s?

No mention of the barrel length from which Hornady obtained those numbers for the .357mag.

I’ve been reloading/shooting the .357mag for 50yrs. 10mm for soon to be 30yrs.

I’ve NEVER seen those velocities for barrels 6” or under. The 10mm data is from 5” barrels. Those, and higher, I saw from my S&W 1006 circa 1990-91.

I don’t have the edition of the Hornady Manual that was depicted, but I do have the 8th edition.

The 8th data for the 180gr .357 was taken from an 8”bbl Colt Python and with 12.6gr of #2400 gets 1,150fps.
Lyman #48 shows 1,412fps from a 10” bbl Contender.

Proves NOTHING in comparison to a 5” bbl 10mm.
From normal 4-6.5” barrels, the 10mm is MORE powerful than the .357, and indeed approaches .41mag levels.

Assuming we’re comparing “apples to apples”...

Last edited:

rosewood

This is why I have a Chronograph.

LittleDrummerBoy

1911 for the trigger. When you line up the sights on a nice deer, you want a crisp trigger. Kimber will give you that. Yes, you can make a Glock do the job, but it will never be a Kimber.