10mm load debate

1gr8bldr

I'm trying to decide what to buy for my 10mm Glock. I will eventually hand load, however, season is coming fast so I don't expect I will find the time to work up a load. I realize that most factory loads are no where near the potential of the 10mm, so I will likely go with the hotter, either Underwood, Buffalo or Dbl Tap. Brand does not concern me much since I will likely not continue to buy. The bullet selection is my interest. Lets talk bullets. Some would say, more, more, more penetration, however, there is a point that your not transferring energy to the animal. A bullet that penetrates a block...say 15 inches is transferring much, much more energy to a block than a bullet that penetrates 35 inches, in regard to a life size animal, because at 15 inches, it's likely passing through. once it passes through, all remaining energy is a waste. so the goal would be to find a bullet that expanded well, that would pass through every time, yet have no waste of energy. I have seen bullets pass through and get caught in the hide. This was real close to optimal, needing a little more energy to get the guaranteed pass through. Some get caught up on having the bullet retain all it's weight for driving purposes. I understand this if your on the verge of not getting pass throughs, such as a 243. I guess I come from a different crowd. I have always shot ballistic tips and put 100 % of the energy into the deer, not even looking for a pass through. Yes, I have heard that some ranches don't even allow ballistic tips and I have heard stories where we chased a dbl lung shot deer 2 miles also. We all know that these come from misplaced shots where no bullet would have killed the animal. With this mindset, you can see why I don't always agree with the typical bullet choices. So, I'm pondering, what is needed and what is wasted energy blown into the dirt beyond? Which bullet will expand enough to use up and utilize some of the wasted pass through energy of the 10mm. I appreciate the discussion so I might better evaluate my thoughts

frankwright

I handload Hornady XTP's for my 10mm. I rarely get a pass through but I shoot deer high shoulder or base of neck and they do not go more than a few yards.
I hunted with a 243 rifle for many years and never got a pass through but I never had to look for a deer either. Shot placement is the key as far as I am concerned.

1gr8bldr

I handload Hornady XTP's for my 10mm. I rarely get a pass through but I shoot deer high shoulder or base of neck and they do not go more than a few yards.
I hunted with a 243 rifle for many years and never got a pass through but I never had to look for a deer either. Shot placement is the key as far as I am concerned.
This is info that I need because I incorrectly assumed that the XTp's were passing through. I have no problem with a non pass through. Pass throughs only aids in tracking a bad shot. If it's a good shot, the deer will not be far. I had rather make a devastating wound channel than poke a hole any day. This is my first 10mm so I have no experience. I appreciate those that share their experience.

deast1988

This is info that I need because I incorrectly assumed that the XTp's were passing through. I have no problem with a non pass through. Pass throughs only aids in tracking a bad shot. If it's a good shot, the deer will not be far. I had rather make a devastating wound channel than poke a hole any day. This is my first 10mm so I have no experience. I appreciate those that share their experience.

I'd opt for hot 200gr xtps. I sold my 10, but 200grs just was a happy medium for me. Bigger wounds deeper slower moving heavier bullet.

I believe most any 180+ controlled expansion in proper place will give solid results. But the type performance you say you want a Fast moving 200gr controlled expansion hollowpoint should serve you well.

pacecars

Most of my deer have been shot with the Doubletap 200gr and 230gr hardcast loads. They have shown excellent accuracy in a 6 inch and 5 inch S&W 610, Glock 29, Sig 1911, Colt Delta Elite and a Custom Ruger GP100 3 inch barrel. They break shoulders and keep going. The 230 penetrated the entire length on a Texas Heart shot.

Last edited:

Lilly001

I think pacecars is on the right track.
The 10mm is not a high powered round compared to even the 44mag. While an expanding bullet would be acceptable, and even preferable, for a side heart lung shot I would like the assurance of a hard cast for those instances where I might not be totally up to the shot.
That said, I'm using up some 180 Gold dots I had Reed's ammunition research load for me. I'll go to hard cast in the future.
You might look a Reed's offerings. They are reasonable and you can call them to tweak them for your needs.

1gr8bldr

Most of my deer have been shot with the Doubletap 200gr and 230gr hardcast loads. The 230 penetrated the entire length on a Texas Heart shot.
Hmmmm, that defines exactly what I don't want. A bullet that penetrates that much has no expansion and is basically just poking a hole. If you could find the bullet, you could reload and shoot it again

pacecars

Hmmmm, that defines exactly what I don't want. A bullet that penetrates that much has no expansion and is basically just poking a hole. If you could find the bullet, you could reload and shoot it again

To each his own. I prefer to punch two holes when possible and hit bone in between them. I don't like to track and they don't go far.

rosewood

Been watching Razor Dobbs on his hunting show. He has been killing various game with his 10mm. The baddest was a Cape Buffalo, now he practiced a lot and did a dead heart shot. I have always been a 10mm fan, but he gave me even more respect for it. He also killed Zebras, Wildebeest, and various other thin skin game. Many were complete pass thrus when he used the 200 grain hard cast boolit from Double Tap (save the cape buffalo). I think he was using a 155 grain all copper barnes?? double tap loaded bullet for white tails and it was that perfect "stuck in the other side of the hide" that you are asking for.

I personally have used my own loaded 200 grain hard cast for my hunting load, but have yet to shoot a white tail with it, although have killed a few hogs with it. I myself prefer a complete pass thru. Shoot them through both lungs and they won't go very far when their lungs fill up with blood.

Rosewood

660griz

Is a non-expanding bullet even legal to hunt with?

Lilly001

Is a non-expanding bullet even legal to hunt with?

I believe that an all lead bullet, even if it is hardened so that it has little if any deformation on impact with the game animal, is still considered an expanding bullet and is legal.
I believe only fully jacketed bullets are prohibited.
As a practical matter the DNR would have problems proving a lead bullet was not an expanding bullet.

Jack Ryan

Been watching Razor Dobbs on his hunting show. He has been killing various game with his 10mm. The baddest was a Cape Buffalo, now he practiced a lot and did a dead heart shot. I have always been a 10mm fan, but he gave me even more respect for it. He also killed Zebras, Wildebeest, and various other thin skin game. Many were complete pass thrus when he used the 200 grain hard cast boolit from Double Tap (save the cape buffalo). I think he was using a 155 grain all copper barnes?? double tap loaded bullet for white tails and it was that perfect "stuck in the other side of the hide" that you are asking for.

I personally have used my own loaded 200 grain hard cast for my hunting load, but have yet to shoot a white tail with it, although have killed a few hogs with it. I myself prefer a complete pass thru. Shoot them through both lungs and they won't go very far when their lungs fill up with blood.

Rosewood

The thing about hunting shows is, they never show tape of the misses, the wounded ones, the cripples, and hours of tracking with a dozen paid guides and bush beaters.

pacecars

Hard cast lead bullets are still considered expanding bullets

660griz

I know. I just wish the DNR would put FMJ and be done with it.

rosewood

The thing about hunting shows is, they never show tape of the misses, the wounded ones, the cripples, and hours of tracking with a dozen paid guides and bush beaters.

I agree.

rosewood

oppthepop

I'm gonna give my Glock 40 a run with the Underwood 200 grain jacketed hollow point and see how it does. No experience yet, but I'm really liking the 10mm. Got a G-29 too for easier carry. I don't think you will be disappointed.

ThatredneckguyJamie

I will be using Federal Vital Shok 180 Grain Trophy Bonded Jacketed Soft Point this year...I like the way it shoots, no experience with what it will do to a deer yet...I haven't decided to "break the rules" yet and shoot hardcast thru my Glock

pacecars

I have never had an issue shooting hard cast lead in any 10mm Glock