16 gauge

1982ace

Anybody use 16 for quail? I have an old side by side that I like to shoot and a browning pump. Seems that most use a 20 gauge just wondering any advantages?

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Yes. For quail, I use two 16 gauge sxs's and a 16 gauge M37 26" IC barrel. The Fox weighs 5 lbs, 14 oz and the Ilsley 5 lbs., 12 oz. 16 gauge guns have a cult following. They were once more popular than they are now, but even though interest is increasing, it'll never be what it once was. Ammo is more readily available in 20 gauge, but those who specialize in 16 gauge seem to find ammo when they need shells. I also shoot 20 gauge and 28 gauge. It's all a matter of personal tastes and preferences; more people buy and shoot 20 gauges because more people buy and shoot 20 gauges. ;)

Last edited:

LKennamer

Great gun

It is true the 16 has become one of those cult guns because it is a lot more rare than the others, but it is an excellent gun. I have taken deer, doves, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, quail, and even my first turkey with a 16 and it is still one of my favorites, although I seldom hunt with it anymore. Ammo isn't as easy to come by so if you go through a lot that can be an issue, but it is out there.

Doc_Holliday23

I love 16 gauges. I still shoot pen raised birds with a 20, but one day I'll definitey get a SxS in 16 to complement my Sweet 16, which is my dove gun.

Dicks Sporting Goods always has 10-20 boxes of 16 gauge shells bird shot in the fall.

mike1225

I've got an old Model 12 that my Dad gave me when I was 15 or 16. I must have shot it a million times at everything. I haven't shot it in many years but man what a gun! I'll never part with it & a train car would not haul all the stuff I shot with it.

Woodsong

Not lucky enough for hunting quail with my 16 gauge but one of my most favorite guns is my beat up old stevens model 94F single shot in 16 gauge. Love that little gun and I love shooting 16 gauge!

Doc_Holliday23

I've got an old Model 12 that my Dad gave me when I was 15 or 16. I must have shot it a million times at everything. I haven't shot it in many years but man what a gun! I'll never part with it & a train car would not haul all the stuff I shot with it.

there's a couple of 16 ga Model 12's on Gon marketplace and on ODT right now. Extremely tempting...

GLS

16, 28 and .410 are 2 gauges and bore size that can justify reloading from an economic standpoint if you shoot a lot. 16 is limited in load selections from commercial sources, but hand or reloading recipes are limitless. I'll hand load #9, 7/8 oz, 2.5" for snipe. Heckuva load for those little rockets. For quail, I prefer #7.5.

Beretta682

I have my great grandfathers Hunter Arms "Fulton" 16 gauge sxs that I love to shoot. There is a company in Macon, GA called Polywad that sells 16 gauge for 10.00 a box. THey are called the "vintager" and are low recoil designed to be shot in old guns. Does mail order too.
http://polywad.com/vintager.html

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
I have a 16 gauge Model 12 that I love. It is light, hard hitting, and an old classic, which I like.

Jetjockey

IMO, and its just my opinion, in the double gun world at least, the 12GA is giving way to the 16. I wouldn't be suprised that in 50 years, the 12GA is the equivelant of the 10GA today. You can buy used 12GA double guns all over the place. But good used 16's and 20's demand a much higher price tag. That should tell you something. IMO 16's and 20's are by far the most versatile upland gauges.

PappyHoel

Yep... I use my browning sweet sixteen from Belgium. It's hard to find shells for the 16 gauge though. If I see them I buy them.

1982ace

Thanks for the replies everybody. I have a sentimental gun that was my grandpa's , a lc smith field grade . I didn't really want to use too much to keep it in good shape so I bought a browning bps in 16 gauge.

GLS

it won't hurt to use the LC Smith. I'd use the Polywads for sure out of it. They are made in Roberta, GA. Good folks to deal with. Bet your old gun is tightly choked. If so, Polywad makes a great spreader load for 16 gauge. The LC's have a tendency to stock split behind the lock plates on each side. The LC Smith is famous for this. I would stick with the low pressure, 2.5" Polywads or RST shells. You don't want to shot hot, "highbrass" type loads out of the gun.

1982ace

Yes it has a very tight pattern. Do you know if the barrels are choked differently. Seems like they are. I have shot some 1 oz 8 shot out of it with no problems. I will look into those shells you are talking about. Thanks

asc

1963 Ithaca mod 37 featherweight in 16 gauge.

Have been thinking about a CZ bobwhite in 16, any thoughts?

Jetjockey

Make sure you get the chambers measured on that LC. Depending on the gauge and year, theres a very good chance they aren't 2 3/4. Besides the wood issue which GLS posted about, LC Smiths are very good guns made to shoot. I recently purchased a 1923 20ga LC Smith and I've been shooting the heck out of it. RST's are great shells and from what I've seen, they are a little. More portent than the pollywods, but still low pressure. I'd be willing to bet the chokes are not the same. Usually the right barrel is a lot more open than the left.

carver

Remington Sportsman 48 in 16 ga is the best for birds and rabbits that I own