1893 Spanish Mauser 7x57

quackman

Just inherited a 1893 Spanish mauser, i want to sporterize it due to the fact no serial number matches, I need to find someone who and turn/bend the bolt to fit for a scope, does anyone know of someone who can and do a good job?

GunnSmokeer

If I were sporterizing a bolt action milsurp, I'd seriously consider putting a long eye relief scope forward of the receiver.
A "scout rifle" as Jeff Cooper envisioned.
That would mean that your use of the bolt and magazine would be totally unobstructed --for loading, cycling, and unloading or (ejecting).

Darkhorse

I had one of those when I was a teenager. Got the bolt bent and a new set of sights put on then to the range.
At 100 yards the rifle wouldn't keep 5 shots on a barn door.
We didn't know at the time that they used corrosive primers and poor cleaning practices. So before you sink a lot of money into it be sure and have it checked out good.

Mauser

I've got one that I bent the bolt,drilled and tapped for scope mounts, then had to rebarrel because it would hit all over a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 50 yards. Its a sweet shooter now but if had to pay someone to do all the work I would have been way better to buy a new rifle. Sadly I lost access to all the gunsmithing stuff when my friend died several years ago.

WaltL1

Slightly off topic but -
i want to sporterize it due to the fact no serial number matches,
Even "mismatched" milsurp stuff is going up in value. Years ago wouldn't give a mismatched or parts gun a second look. Not so much any more.
If you check out its value and then add the cost of bolt work you may be in the neighborhood of a brand new rifle.

My first deer rifle was a Spanish mauser 7x57. I bought it from a pawn shop for $65. It's a great round. Reminds me of a 243 with a bigger hole. It had already had the stock forearm cut down. I had to get the bolt work done and drill and tap for bases. My barrel was also badly pitted from the use of berdan primers. I have to agree with others though, with the price of a savage axis being sub $200 on sale, there isn't a practical reason to go that route unless your interest lies in old military arms.

Dr. Strangelove

I had a Spanish 7x57 re-barreled to .270win, new stock, bolt bent and re-worked, etc in the late 80's. I was well over $1000 all in back then, I could have purchased just about any normal production bolt action rifle on the market at the time for that much.

It really turned out well, but honestly, I wouldn't do it again unless I could do all or most of the work and even then I'd probably just buy new and buy reloading components if I had the urge to tinker.

quackman

Thanks guys, its just a project rifle, just something to have some fun with, have other rifles, found someone to turn the bolt, had to get new stock( old stock was left handed) next will be tap for scope, hopefully around $400 is all i will have invested! if anyone is interested I found a guy in Massachusetts that can do bolt work, been doing it 20 years, talked with him seems like a great guy! Google The Bolt Man!

WaltL1

If you are sending it to a smith to have it drilled and tapped, it would be a very good idea to have him check the headspace or you can buy the gauge and check it yourself.
Might save you from a very unwanted surprise!
https://www.sinclairintl.com/guntec...mportant-how-to-check-it/detail.htm?lid=17125
And Ive heard of the Bolt Man. Seems to be a popular guy that a lot of folks have used for projects such as yours.