1911A1-FS

Jester896

Senior Clown
This followed me home last night from work
IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2125_LI.jpg
1911-A1 FS is what I believe it is. Hasn't been fired much but has some heavy carry marks.
She is dirty and dry...you can hear the spring when you wrack the slide.
Maybe I will get a chance to run some through her this weekend after I clean her up a little.
Might be a solid Full Size piece to build on.
Not the one I was looking at but an OK find. The other one turned out to be Nickle and I just didn't want it.

Clean it up and maybe some grips that are a little more aggressive since the front strap is smooth and GTG.

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
played a little during the cleaning
did this to the frame and barrel
IMG_2132.jpg

Decided to break up the all black look it had going on and started polishing the barrel a little
IMG_2133.jpg

Dub

That feed ramp looks righteous !!!!

Big fan of the 1911 platform, here.

Looking forward to what you get rolling here.

Jester896

Senior Clown
That feed ramp looks righteous !!!!

Thanks!

My buddy it trying to dig up his checkering jig. I think I want to try my hand at checkering the front strap and maybe buy a back strap to match the lpi. Might just leave the lined one on it.

After polishing the guide rod a little, cleaning and a little touch of frog lube paste on a Q-Tip...the slide runs smooth now. I need to get me a needle oiler full of the stuff some of the guys I know make up. All I have on hand is 185gr for for my other gun so I picked up 3 boxes of Winchester 230 Service Grade to see if I can get a hiccup....might run some of the 185s through it too. Not real sure what spring is in it but it feels heavy.

Last edited:

Robert28

Whoever had it before you took it apart, or attempted to. It had the infamous “idiot scratch”. Dollar for dollar those RIA 1911’s are hard to beat!

JeffinPTC

Not real sure what spring is in it but it feels heavy.

Ordered this last night for Mr Baer...

Stock No. 26521 - Reduced Power Pak - This pak contains 1 each of 15, 16 and 17 pound reduced hammer springs listed above, allowing tuning of the firearm for competition shooters.
https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=items&cID=1&mID=1&dID=1#803

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...irmation&utm_content=product-description-link

Cylinder & Slide Sear Spring 1911

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...irmation&utm_content=product-description-link

Jester896

Senior Clown
Thanks for the links!
The trigger seems fine to me right now. I will measure it but it feels like about 4#. The recoil spring feels heavy so it may best be suited for full power heavy ball loads for now and that is probably all I will run in it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I take that back...trigger is not where it needs to be :) I did forget to measure it. The gauge is sitting on the bench right next to the checkering fixture and 20 LPI file that I left at my buddies.

Shot 5 shots each of these 2 groups and failed...brass still in the extractor pinched perfectly inline with barrel.

IMG_2138_LI (2).jpg

POA was # in center @ about 12-15 yd. group to the left i do believe i may have been a little slaphappy.

other group felt better...I don't think it shoots bad...does need better sights and some trigger work.

My buddy gave it a go...didn't hang on him...he has a fluid issue with one of his eyes but he says he thinks it is going to be shooting right. He did get 2 in once he found the spot.

IP (2).jpg

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here is the grips I put on my full size 1911 and the bullets I reload for it which shoot great. The target was shot using a rest. I am not that good shooting off hand. LOL.

Attachments

• 25 yd. target .jpg
    25 yd. target .jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 14
  • MY ACII 1 .JPG
    MY ACII 1 .JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 19
  • RAINIER BULLETS.png
    RAINIER BULLETS.png
    260 KB · Views: 16

Jester896

Senior Clown
we were shooting offhand supported. It wasn't a race to see how fast I could empty it, but I didn't waste time. My buddy shot it that way.

pdsniper

I just picked up a Rock Island Armory 1911 A2 FS in 22 TCM two weeks ago it also comes with a 9 mm barrel as well its a double stack 1911 holds 17 rnds the 22 TCM is one mean round its a 556 case shorted and necked back down it shoots a 40 gn 22 cal bullet at 2000 fps its really loud and big flash, it has almost no recoil and I have already done a trigger job on it duracoated the slide,put a full length spring guide on it and fiber optic front sight and flared mag well, I also gave some G10 grips coming to match the slide,Jester thats a real nice one you have hope your enjoying it as much as I am mine 22 TCM PISTOL.jpg22tcm I.jpg

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
Thanks!
So far I have even with the issues I see. It needs trigger work and I'm not sure why the case hangs on ejection yet. I think it is going to be a nice project for me when I get to it. I left the tools at my buddy's to checker the front strap (20 LPI). Planned on that before any bluing or Cerekote/Duracoat work. Haven't made a decision on grips since I don't know if I need straight or angled yet :).

Yours looks good too!
I have a handfull or more of those cases if you need them.

JeffinPTC

I'm not sure why the case hangs on ejection yet.

Hollow Points? Try 230 FMJ, then 200. solid 200 Flat points work in mine.

Gator89

Install an arched mainspring housing with some G10 grips and that dude would be ready for a zombie apocalypse.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yeah...that with a lanyard loop would keep it in the original A1 look.
VZ has a special today on grips so those will be on the way tomorrow along with new screws.