1st primitive weapons season

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I can't remember the year for it. Can someone refresh my memory on the 1st primitive weapons season in Georgia. I was thinking it was 1996 but am not sure.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I think it was 2000 season when we had the first week for muzzleloaders.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think it was 1977 when compound bows were made legal to hunt deer with in Georgia, but they had to be used during rifle season. That went on for a year or two then they were allowed during regular bow season.

I also remember bowhunting for deer in Georgia in 1968, so they must have had an archery or primitive weapons season that far back.

Last edited:

gma1320

I think it was 2000 season when we had the first week for muzzleloaders.
Purdy sure it was before that, because it started before I could drive and I could drive in 99.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Purdy sure it was before that, because it started before I could drive and I could drive in 99.

My records show 2000 but the older I get the more I realize I can be wrong.

I will page someone who knows all, sees all, ;) Paging @C.Killmaster

DAVE

I think it was 1977 when compound bows were made legal to hunt deer with in Georgia, but they had to be used during rifle season. That went on for a year or two then they were allowed during regular bow season.

I also remember bow hunting for deer in Georgia in 1968, so they must have had an archery or primitive weapons season that far back.
I killed my first Ga. bow buck in 1973 with a browning nomad recurve which I still have and hunt with on occasion.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I killed my first Ga. bow buck in 1973 with a browning nomad recurve which I still have and hunt with on occasion.

I remember that bow. They were nice. I still have my Bear Super Grizzly recurve as well.

Rabun

I'm not sure, but I do remember hunting the Dawson Forest muzzleloader hunts...was my favorite hunt...met some great folks. Killed my first deer during one of those hunts with a flintlock given to me by my father inlaw. A little button buck. That was in 94 or 95. I was able to find that scopes were legalized for ML's in 2006.

Possum

Banned
I’ve got a 1997 ga hunt regulations here and there was no muzzle loader season that year

Possum

Banned
I like looking back at these old regulations books and remembering the way it was.
In 97 the turkey harvest got increased to 3 birds, Macon county became the second QDMA county that year and north ga was still closed to firearms deer hunting from Dec 7th-26th

transfixer

I can't remember when the first primitive weapons/muzzleloader season was, I know I used to go to the primitive weapons hunt on Ogeechee wma way back when, I want to say it was in the early to mid nineties? but not sure.

I just wish primitive weapons was still primitive weapons, no scopes, no inline modern rifles, they might as well just call it single shot season, cause there is nothing primitive about most rifles being used.

gma1320

I can't remember when the first primitive weapons/muzzleloader season was, I know I used to go to the primitive weapons hunt on Ogeechee wma way back when, I want to say it was in the early to mid nineties? but not sure.

I just wish primitive weapons was still primitive weapons, no scopes, no inline modern rifles, they might as well just call it single shot season, cause there is nothing primitive about most rifles being used.
You're sure right about that. These new muzzle loaders aren't even muzzle loaders anymore.

Darkhorse

In the mid to late 70's I was traveling around the state attending matches and rendevous. I think it was 1976 or 1977 I was asked, and did, sign a petition asking for a primitive weapons season.
I didn't pay much attention as to when we actually got one because I hunt with a muzzleloader all season long.
I did consider attending a few hunts but never did.
Back then there was a lot of interest in hunting with a ML, but over the years the interest has waned a lot. It was a good way for the state to make some more money.
When it became unprofitable (just my opinion) the state withdrew their support and let it all fade away.
Mostly it's just a few us old diehards left now, with some new blood coming into the fold occasionally.