1st timer

Tommorow will be my first deer hunt with a bow. Excited and nervous. Been shooting at a bag for 6 months now. Any advice to consider when shooting at a live target? Thanks and good luck to all.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Welcome to an addiction that will give you an adrenaline rush that is incomparable. Course it may also cause you to pull your hair out.

My best advice for a newbie is to shoot the 1st legal deer you can so that you can get it under your belt and get used to the shakes and the rush etc. If you adhere to this and plan to shoot the the 1st, stand up the minute you see a deer or stay standing. If you don't, you will learn quickly how hard it is to stand and draw.

Play the wind better than you've ever played it before and go have fun man!

PappyHoel

Just hunt. You've been practicing, go enjoy yourself. I think it took Ted Nugent something like 7 years before he got his first bow kill. Dont get discouraged.

rutnbuk

I am excited for you! GO have fun- that is what it is all about. You will get lots of good advise- but for me when I started out- I came to full draw way too early...and by the time they finally got in range or to the spot- well you know the rest of the story- I was shaking all over and that dern arrow flew perfectly 12-16 inches over the dern deers back and double lunged a pine tree! lol

transfixer

I was in my early twenties my first time, shot at the first deer I saw that season, 3 times ! it was a fairly young doe, I missed the first time, she ran about 20yds or so looking around , she didn't know what it was, second shot, missed again, ran back in original direction, stopped and looked around again, nocked another arrow and let fly, yep ! missed again ! she decided whatever it was it wasn't worth hanging around and she finally left, I've never had that happen since then, usually one shot and they're gone .

Oh yeah,,, coming to full draw while sitting down is a lot harder than you think it is ! :rolleyes:

hoythunter1861

It took me until the last weekend of the season for my second full year in a row of bow only to get my first, and it was a spike. So I agree completely with the earlier post about shooting the first legal deer you get the chance to.
Also second the idea of only shooting broadside or quartering away shots (I still only do that).
And the biggest, NEVER shoot further than you should. I limit myself to about 30-40 yards even though I practice out to 50-60. I always take my max practice distance (that makes a good group) and subtract about 20 yards from it. But also know your equipment. Last year I had an issue with my rest (some of the felt was peeling) and it was leading to erratic arrow flight past 30 yards. Well wouldn't you know the big 12 walked out the next day and hung around at 37 yards for about 15 minutes. But you always gotta respect the game your after and not take chances, even for a trophy. We owe it to the animal.

Slewfoot

I have done this since the 70's and If I were you: Decide before you get in stand as to what you are willing to shoot or pass. Never never shoot through brush and always make sure you ID the target. I would suggest that once you are certain it is the right animal you want to harvest, to focus on the target area of deer...not the rack, etc, etc. as he/she is walking around or getting into position. I would recommend not shooting over 20 yds and know your yardages before hand. Here is the secret to a bow kill and and a gut shot or a miss.... put the pin on the exact spot on the deer you have been watching, the small dime/quarter size spot you want your broadhead to hit the deer...AND tell yourself to keep the pin on the target spot until the arrow has hit and passed through the deer. THAT makes a difference and will help you to keep from flinching and pulling the shot both in archery and modern weapons. There is so much that you will learn form simply being in the stand. So much between parking your vehicle and taking that shot. DO not be too discouraged if you see nothing. DO not be too discouraged if you miss. These things happen. A clean miss is better than a wounded animal. Never shoot at a running animal. And....if you do wound a deer...it is heartbreaking but you must forgive yourself and learn from the experience. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for all the advice. Was hoping to put it all to work this weekend but was not fortunate enough to see anything. I will continue to practice and prepare for the moment. Just being in the stand and in nature was enjoyable enough for me. Best of luck to all.