2 cycle "Dummy" mistake

hopper

Bought an echo 590 chainsaw yesterday and used it to cut up some falling trees. I used one tank of the echo premixed fuel yesterday. Today I fueled her up, filled bar oil, tipped the chain a bit with a file and made a couple cuts. The saw lagged a bit but never shut off. Was about to start it up and for some reason I thought about the fuel. I filled her up with 4 cycle TrueFuel.
I immediately dumped it out and filled it with the echo 50:1 premixed with a couple drops of two stroke oil to make it a little richer.
Cranked up fine and let idle for a bit before using. The rest of the day went fine.
Do yall think I did any damage to the cylinder or piston? I may try to look at it tomorrow although I have no experience.
Look through the plug hole, pull cord slow, se if any scratches or damage? Pull muffler look in for tte same ?
There was a little premixed still in the saw when I "Dummied out" with the 4 cycle TrueFuel.

1gr8bldr

At this point, it is what it is, so as long as it's not weak, then you got lucky. If only a couple cuts, I bet your fine.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
did you run it with the 4 cycle in there?

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
It should be ok. Sounds like you didn't even run any through the line. I heard they run like a scalded dog when you don't use oil mixed....for a few cuts...so I've heard.

rayjay

Define "couple of cuts".

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Run it rich from now on and all you have to worry about is a fouled plug rarely instead of rings, piston, cylinder and crankshaft often.
40:1 at least and don’t be afraid of extra mix oil. Smoking is a bit much.
I’ve ran the little green bottle itasca mix oil found at every gas station around for twenty years without a single issue. Tractor supply mix oil is garbage no matter how rich you run it.
Just mix itasca dark where you can’t see the bottom of your tank when full. Nothing special. Just rich then run it hard as you want even in the heat of the day.
I refuse to use stihl oil or tractor supply.
And now I demand itasca mix oil rich in my chainsaws. If I take my saws apart and look for wear I don’t find any.
When I rebuild other saws I always find heavy wear and they always say “I used only stihl mix 50:1” I say 40:1 at least.
And empty your saw of gas if you don’t use it that often.

To the op your saw is OK if it runs,
but ideally mix rich always. One tank without mix and it will need at least rings and soon lock up.
50:1 is not enough oil when you run them very hard all day in the summer heat. Mix RICH!
5FCB0544-D382-464E-90A0-DF585148AACB.jpegUnless your racing and ready to rebuild!!!

hopper

Run it rich from now on and all you have to worry about is a fouled plug rarely instead of rings, piston, cylinder and crankshaft often.
40:1 at least and don’t be afraid of extra mix oil. Smoking is a bit much.
I’ve ran the little green bottle itasca mix oil found at every gas station around for twenty years without a single issue. Tractor supply mix oil is garbage no matter how rich you run it.
Just mix itasca dark where you can’t see the bottom of your tank when full. Nothing special. Just rich then run it hard as you want even in the heat of the day.
I refuse to use stihl oil or tractor supply.
And now I demand itasca mix oil rich in my chainsaws. If I take my saws apart and look for wear I don’t find any.
When I rebuild other saws I always find heavy wear and they always say “I used only stihl mix 50:1” I say 40:1 at least.
And empty your saw of gas if you don’t use it that often.

To the op your saw is OK if it runs,
but ideally mix rich always. One tank without mix and it will need at least rings and soon lock up.
50:1 is not enough oil when you run them very hard all day in the summer heat. Mix RICH!
View attachment 942552Unless your racing and ready to rebuild!!!
Thanks

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Pull the plug and put some good 2 cycle oil in it or rich gas and run it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
ok... reading it for the 3rd time, it looks like you ran the saw for a few minutes after you put the fuel in it, and then realized what you had done and dumped it out.

At this point, whatever damage you did is done. You can't go back and undo it, so just keep the right fuel in it and keep cutting. It will show up somewhere down the road if you damaged the cylinder, and it won't cost anymore then to put a piston, rings and a cylinder on it than it will right now.

and hopefully, you didn't do to much damage to it, and will never notice the difference.

bassboy1

Small 2 strokes are pretty tough.

There are plenty of stories of engines being abused so hard (no cooling water in an outboard, oil injection failing, etc) that they siezed up, but after cooling down, everything frees up, and then it runs another decade.

Furthermore, you still had some premix in there, and even if you didn't, there is usually an amount of residual oil on everything as it is.

Further, furthermore, many engines don't need 50:1 to run, but instead to store. OMC changed all their outboards to 100:1 in the 80s, but later changed back to 50:1. Their research found that in regular use, the 100:1 provided ample lubrication, but for engines with sporadic use, it didn't leave enough corrosion resistance, and that's what did in bearings.

In your case, it's *probably* okay. If it has a problem down the road, deal with it then. If not, don't waste time sweating about it in the meantime.

treemanjohn

Banned
You're good to go nothing to worry about. Use a good quality 50:1 and roll with it. I prefer Husqvarna oil. Used it for 25+ years 15 professionally and I never had a failure. No need to add extra oil unless you like choking on smoke

JackSprat

We had a top notch Stihl store here.

The owner who was extremely knowledgeable about anything Stihl said that modern 2 cycle oils are so refined that you can run very low ratio of gas:eek:il and you won't have the problems of fouling plugs and all that you had "back in the day". He said he had not seen a fouled plug in a while unless it was some cheapskate using used motor oil or some other non-2 cycle oil, or the wrong plugs.

He said the difference with 50:1 and 40:1 with modern oils is insignificant.

1gr8bldr

I was just in the tractor store, buying a Sthil, and the guy said the Echos had a 5 year warranty. I can't imagine how any brand can cover anything on a chainsaw.

3ringer

You are fine. If you damaged it , you would know it. It would have overheated and locked up.

dirtnap

I’m in the tree service business I accidentally ran almost a whole tank out of a husqvarna one morning with no oil mixed at all. I don’t know how long after that I ran that saw but it never showed any damage from it

hopper

I was just in the tractor store, buying a Sthil, and the guy said the Echos had a 5 year warranty. I can't imagine how any brand can cover anything on a chainsaw.
It is definitely a limited warranty. Echos seem to be getting pretty good reviews over at the forestry forums and at $399 for a 60 cc I had to give it a go. Used it all day today seems like no damage occurred and cutting great.

1gr8bldr

It is definitely a limited warranty. Echos seem to be getting pretty good reviews over at the forestry forums and at $399 for a 60 cc I had to give it a go. Used it all day today seems like no damage occurred and cutting great.
I liked the metal toggle switches on the one I looked at