2 guns one man- legal?

leroy

Seen someone Saturday hunting with 2 guns would shoot one then pick up the other one. I said it would be illegal, I figured it would be basically same as hunting with unplugged gun, 6 shots? Discussing with some later said they didnt think so. What say you? I have taken 2 guns to blind but the one not being used is cased and unloaded.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
For sure, especially if you have to swap the forearm back and forth among them.

leroy

Lol this was a pump and a semi auto, IF its legal i cant see much difference in that and a unplugged gun?? Heck I might have to try it, lol, im always saying i just needed one more shot lol

GeorgiaBob

I carry a .45 when I am out, plus whatever else I am carrying. The holstered .45 is perfectly legal when I am hunting with a flintlock. That same .45 is also legal with a 30.06. It is even legal if I am walking around with an AR-15. Now, when I am in a hide with a 12 gauge, and have a 2nd 12 gauge sitting beside me, all of the weapons are STILL legal. :devilish:

Note that the intent of the reg limiting a shotgun to 3 shells, is to reduce the number of immediate shots taken. There is no regulation preventing you from reloading the first shotgun, and no reg preventing you from switching shotguns during a hunt.

(Also note - I have never used the .45 against birds!);)

(Historical note - the above was before that tragic accident on the river when all of my firearms fell overboard on an outgoing tide and are lost forever.):sneaky:

NCMTNHunter

This is only slightly off topic but a few years ago I was going over the plans for a grading job at a local high end shotgun club. I was meeting with the manager of the club when a gentleman parks near us in a very nice luxury SUV. He starts unloading his gear and shotgun from the back when the manager asked me to guess how much the guys shotgun cost. I could tell it was out of range of anything I had ever considered buying so I through a guess out there at $20,000.00. After a few more wrong guesses the manager informed that the guy had paid $110,000 for that gun. Not only that but he had another identical to it one serial number apart. The manager said that he asked the guy why he had two of them and the guy said that when he dove hunted in Argentina is field hand could keep one loaded for him while he shot the other.

Lindseys Grandpa

This is only slightly off topic but a few years ago I was going over the plans for a grading job at a local high end shotgun club. I was meeting with the manager of the club when a gentleman parks near us in a very nice luxury SUV. He starts unloading his gear and shotgun from the back when the manager asked me to guess how much the guys shotgun cost. I could tell it was out of range of anything I had ever considered buying so I through a guess out there at $20,000.00. After a few more wrong guesses the manager informed that the guy had paid $110,000 for that gun. Not only that but he had another identical to it one serial number apart. The manager said that he asked the guy why he had two of them and the guy said that when he dove hunted in Argentina is field hand could keep one loaded for him while he shot the other.
I know a guy who went hunting down there said if you used semi automatic and didnt swap guns you would burn the gun up they fire so many shots.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The Britts perfected shooting more than one doublegun at a time by handing the fired gun to a loader who hands a matched, loaded gun back to the shooter. The technique is utilized in driven grouse in the heather. The routine is choreographed to minimize confusion and there are videos on youtube showing how its done. Another technique utilizes one gun, the shooter and loader. The shooter shoots his gun, maintains his shooting stance with his eyes down range, breaks it open to eject the shells and the loader inserts two rounds, one in each hand. The shooter closes the gun and shoots. Repeat as needed. I have one gun, #2, of a two gun matched set made in 1938 by H. Atkin of London. It's well made, with simple engraving in 12 ga. SXS. It weighs 6.25 lbs. I attempted to locate its mate via a UK service that specializes in doubles and publishes a list of folks seeking matches. A prior owner of my gun sought its mate years before I owned it and never found it. To shoot two guns, to be efficient, a loader should be used. Good luck getting a buddy to load your gun when the doves are flying fast and furiously....

Big7

The Oracle
He thinks it shouldn’t be.
I got 3 single barrels I use. But it’s only 3 shots so I should be ok ?

My pumps and semi-autos are single barrel.
Just Sayin'.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
The limit on the number of birds one can harvest is still the same no matter how many guns you use or how many shots said gun holds.

baddave

The limit on the number of birds one can harvest is still the same no matter how many guns you use or how many shots said gun holds.
that's what i'm thinkin' .. limit is still 15 whether u used 1 gun or 2 -- i could totally understand if u were in argentina to keep the barrels cool , but 15 bird limit .. to ea. their own.. good day