2 part epoxy for boat repair?

Thread starter #1
Bought one of those plastic pond boats and it has a crack on the bottom. I have used 2 part epoxy in the past with good results for other repaairs... just wondering if any one has had good results with something else or may used flexseal products with good results?

jimbo4116

Retired Moderator
Bought one of those plastic pond boats and it has a crack on the bottom. I have used 2 part epoxy in the past with good results for other repaairs... just wondering if any one has had good results with something else or may used flexseal products with good results?
I have a Coleman Crawdad that I punched a hole in. Never found anything that would stick. Fortunately it was above the water line on the bow and perfectly round. I made a plug out of a bolt and rubber washers.

Good luck. If you find something that works let me know.

hopper

Is it polyethylene? The epoxy wont stick. You c as n te the duct tape weld it works pretty darn good, about to use it on my canoe. You can also melt polyethylene and drip it on. Some pretty good videos on line. They also use to sell a polyethylene kit for repair.
Good luck.

BDD

I use fiber class, mix it right and it sticks to anything and is stronger and tougher than

Anything else. Look at the rental canoes at Flint River Outdoor Center, they are all patched up

With fiber glass, you can even lay a nice piece down before you need to, to protect the keel.

I repaired a broken pool sand filter that froze and split several long cracks, all the experts said it

Couldn’t be fixed. I took it apart and put a patch on the inside and one on the outside and

It was as good as new. Also used it on my Old Town that’s 25 years old and starting to get some cracks.

Last edited:

DannyW

A slightly different application, not sure if it helps, but I have a Thule cartop carrier that has a crack and leaked. I cleaned the area and put a strip of Gorilla duct over the crack on both sides. Then I sprayed a couple of coats of Flexseal over the tape. Unless you look closely the repair is not even visible.

This solved my leak but I am not sure how it would hold up constantly underwater.

If you decide to go the Flexseal route be sure to practice with it first. You can make a mess in a hurry.

Years ago I flip a Mohawk canoe off saw horses right onto a 2x4 with a nail sticking up. Yeah , stupid and it felt stupid.

This was before flex seal , gorilla clue and the like. All I had handy was clear acrylic caulk. Dabbed it with the gun and has never leaked since
Just a lucky shot