20 gauge rifle barrel

b rad

anyone shoot with a 20 gauge rifel barrel? what slugs do you use ive noticed the regular deer or hog holow point slugs by winchester and the remington sluggers neither will not hold a good group their all over the place. im thinking of going with salbot slugs for a better grouping. and what distance would you recommend i did 50 yards because i wasnt taking more than a 50 yard shot where i hunt anyways. should i sight in for 75 and call it a day if i get a good group.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you're shooting a rifled barrel, the sabot slugs are probably going to be your best best. Don't have a 20, but the Lightfields shoot good in my 12 gauge with rifled slug barrel.

I'd suggest you try a box or two of Brenneke KOs before going all out on the expensive sabots. They are, unlike other brands, recommended for use in rifled barrels. They have an attached wad that likely helps them engage the rifling. I'd also suggest a thorough cleaning to remove any lead fouling first.

I "tried" to sight in a Savage bolt action 20 gage slug gun. I couldn't get it to group any better than 3 or 4 inches at 50 yards. These were supposed to be accurate out to 200 yards. I shot several different brands of slugs.
The owner said that was close enough. I told him that close enough to me would be at least to have the holes touching.

Hillbilly stalker

Rifled barrels are designed for sabots. Clean the lead out of your barrel and shoot some Hornady SST's. Their smoking hot. We use them in a 12 gauge on hogs and have never recovered a slug. Rifled slugs are designed for smooth bores, that confuses people. Use sabots.

b rad

Rifled barrels are designed for sabots. Clean the lead out of your barrel and shoot some Hornady SST's. Their smoking hot. We use them in a 12 gauge on hogs and have never recovered a slug. Rifled slugs are designed for smooth bores, that confuses people. Use sabots.
That's what I was gonna do but that cost a lot to sight in but the scope should be sighted in I think it's just the slugs that isn't accurate

bullgator

it should take less than 2 boxes to sight it in. That’s 10 shots for about $25 for Hornady SST Slugs. If you think that’s a lot don’t ever buy a Weatherby caliber.
:rofl::rofl:

Big7

The Oracle
I'd suggest you try a box or two of Brenneke KOs before going all out on the expensive sabots. They are, unlike other brands, recommended for use in rifled barrels. They have an attached wad that likely helps them engage the rifling. I'd also suggest a thorough cleaning to remove any lead fouling first.

Beat me to it !

Brenneke slugs are the best. Rifled or smooth. The attached felt may help with gas-check. It's function is a stabilizer that stays with the projectile until impact. Very accurate and hard hitting as well as slightly heavier for the given caliber.

I have shot them in both 12 and 20 smooth bore and extended rifled tube that screws in the choke threads and adds 4" to barrel length. I've only tried the rifled tube in 20 as I have not had the opportunity to try the twelve.

I have used them extensively when center fire rifle were not allowed in Ohio and Up-State New York. They have never failed me and I don't think they would be any different for anyone else.

Look no further than Brenneke. They are by far the best. IMO

Last edited:

Latest posts