20 gauge

Big7

The Oracle
Uhhh. Yep. About half the Turkey hunters on the board. Rest shoot a 12ga or .410 bore.
There is also a bunch that bow and blackpowder hunt.

Do you have a specific question someone may be able to help you with?

TomC

Haha.......so true. Walked in Walmart one day, $269 plus tax for the gun, couple of sponges and some paint made her look "custom" and she was ready to rock and roll. I normally use higher end chokes (i.e Trulock, Indian Creek) but apparently a cheap gun likes a cheap choke and the ol' $20 Primos Tightwad was the trick to make her really sing which seems to be confirmed by quite a few over at oldgobbler. I have really appreciated toting a light gun, easy to maneuver and it really hammers them hard!

ol bob

Switched last year wish I had done it 20 years ago.

Gator89

Haha.......so true. Walked in Walmart one day, $269 plus tax for the gun, couple of sponges and some paint made her look "custom" and she was ready to rock and roll. I normally use higher end chokes (i.e Trulock, Indian Creek) but apparently a cheap gun likes a cheap choke and the ol' $20 Primos Tightwad was the trick to make her really sing which seems to be confirmed by quite a few over at oldgobbler. I have really appreciated toting a light gun, easy to maneuver and it really hammers them hard!

I am happy with Carlson's chokes, not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. I would really like to find a good non-extended choke.

BBond

Wife shots a Mossberg 500 youth 20 with a Carlson choke and it's been good. Son has the same setup for his first year next year with a dot added.

drewskyc

My son, who is 10, shoots a Mossberg 510 mini super bantam 20 gauge. He killed a turkey with it using a Truglo choke this past season. I credit myself with all the work since I did the calling. He would be super mad if he read this lol He also takes it to Garland Mountain to bust clays with. Good all around youth shotgun.

SC Hunter

I've been shooting a youth 870 20 gauge for the past 5 or 6 years. I've killed a pile of turkeys with it. Kicks choke and hevi shot #7's or federal heavyweights. I've got a benelli m2 20 gauge on my short list of wants. I shoot my 20's for dove, ducks and turkeys and never feel underfunded.

six

Switched to a Weatherby SA459 about 3 years ago. Love it.

GunnSmokeer

I hunted turkey once, with my Mossberg 500 Bantam (youth sized, 22" barrel) 20 gauge and the short little factory "FULL" choke. Fired 3X at one big Tom at 35 yards, and only put a few of those #6 pellets in him. My pattern was excessively wide. He was flopping around, wounded, until several seconds after the third shot. Then he finally gave up the ghost.

Since then, I've bought a real turkey choke that extends 3/4" beyond my muzzle, and it patterns much tighter.

Big7

The Oracle
Yep. Use a Rem. 1187 Compact with a Sumtoy choke and FFIII. Shoot TSS shells. Going to use a 410 next year also. Bought used H&R 410 last year. Sent it to William at Sumtoy and had him thread it for a choke tube and drill and tap for a FFIII mount. Added different butt stock and hand guard.

You should be good to go then.
Locating Turkey, while you go undetected and get in range is the "hunting" part.
If they could smell, you'd probably never kill one.

The "shooting" part is relatively easy.
They are not hard to kill with any shotgun.?

Just Saying'.

nick_o_demus

I dropped my 12 gauge like a bad habit when I got my 20 gauge patterned right.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have four twenty gauges I hunt with. A Mossberg SA20 with a Sumtoy choke Fastfire 111 red dot on top is my dedicated Turkey gun although the others just need a choke change to get after them.

Juan De

I hunted with a 10 ga for forever, then a 12 ga, I purchased a 20 ga Benelli nova to have ready for next season.