2000 F150 sometimes won't crank

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Well it acted up again on me yesterday, I checked the fuel pressure gauge and had 0 psi, turned the key off an on about a dozen times with no change. Climbed down, unplugged the fuel pump and checked the connections. All looked great, plugged it back up and it still would build any pressure. After about 5-6 more times of priming ( off-acc position with the key) it finally went to 20 psi, I primed it again and it went to 30 psi, I primed it again and it went to 40 psi, so I finally turned the key to start it and it started right up. I'm really feeling like the pressure regulator is sticking, it seems to only act up after it's sat for a week or so.

bullfrog79

Well it acted up again on me yesterday, I checked the fuel pressure gauge and had 0 psi, turned the key off an on about a dozen times with no change. Climbed down, unplugged the fuel pump and checked the connections. All looked great, plugged it back up and it still would build any pressure. After about 5-6 more times of priming ( off-acc position with the key) it finally went to 20 psi, I primed it again and it went to 30 psi, I primed it again and it went to 40 psi, so I finally turned the key to start it and it started right up. I'm really feeling like the pressure regulator is sticking, it seems to only act up after it's sat for a week or so.
put a pump in it..

jcountry

I had a honda like that one time. The fuel pump relay didn’t like hot weather. It was so common with that model that the Honda parts guy kept a bucket behind the counter full of them

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Truck acted up again today. Did a prime about 20 times and wouldn't build any pressure. Took out the old fuel pressure regulator and primed it with nothing there. It shot alot of gas out of the fuel rail. Put a new regulator in and first time it primed up to 40 psi instantly. I'm hoping this does fix it.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Well, the regulator didn't fix it. Pulled the fuel pump back out and swapped it out. Guess we will see what happens.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
The saga continues, for the first time it left me stranded on the side of the road. Actually died on me while driving, and of course at night in the rain. Had a friend tow me home last night. Got to thinking there ain't no way I've got another bad fuel pump, so I said what the heck and got a fuel pump relay, only a $14 deal so no worries, tried once more to start it up with no luck, popped in the new relay and it started right up. May be a coincidence, but I don't think so, gonna give it some time and see how it goes.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
mercy... 4 months of worrying and struggling with that thing.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
If it was a daily driver It would have been handled sooner, but I may not crank but every week or two.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
It's happened to me too! But on the bright side....look at all the shiny new stuff on your junk truck @mattech

That's one way I look at it. I plan to have this truck for a long long time, so I don't mind replacing things.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Bq10q3SCIAA4fZA.jpg