11-5-09
5:30 p.m.
Screven County, (private land)
TC Contender, .375 JDJ, 14 inch scoped barrel
225 Hornady SP / H4895 / CCI BR2 / 2205 MV
70 yd shot.
Doe, 107 lbs.
Summit Viper climber

Climbed a favorite gum tree on the SE corner of a food plot just inside some oaks right at 4:00 p.m. Was entertained by lotsa squirrel activity in my immediate vicinity for an hour. They were in the trees, jumping around, on the ground, chasing each other, making all sorts of normal racket. Just before 5:00 pm, I heard a squirrel getting irritated at something in the bottom/swampy/bedding area off to my right side. Sure enough, I start hearing crunchy footsteps coming my way. Saw several deer coming through the woods a minute later. Eased the hammer back and watched. I glimpsed 5 just inside the woods around 25 yds from me. No horns and they were not at all nervous. The two yearlings bounded into the food plot and started chowing down on the wheat/oats/rye/blue lupine (but not the Trophy Radishes??) mix I'd planted in late September. #3 doe and #4 doe followed. The largest doe waited a minute and then eased out. I watched as they fed at an angle away from me, thinking they might have a buck on their trail. Not a once did they look back from where they had come from. Gave it a few minutes, cranked my scope to 4 power and waited on the biggest doe to give a good shot angle. She was going from right to left, quartering away slight with her left leg forward when I dropped the hammer. Sight picture was centered behind her front leg inline with the opposite shoulder. At the shot, she jumped, did a 180 and ran back from where she'd come from. I could see the exit hole on her right side as she headed to the trees. Piled up just inside the woodline.
Bullet performance was excellent.

Got down, dragged her to my stand, took pics and texted Forkhorn to let him know we were finally on the board!:fine:

Attachments

• 1st_JDJ_Doe.jpg
    1st_JDJ_Doe.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 1,045

Handgunner

Team: HandCannon Coalition
11-5-09
70 yd shot.
Doe, 107 lbs.
Summit Viper climber

Climbed a favorite gum tree on the SE corner of a food plot just inside some oaks right at 4:00 p.m. Was entertained by lotsa squirrel activity in my immediate vicinity for an hour. They were in the trees, jumping around, on the ground, chasing each other, making all sorts of normal racket. Just before 5:00 pm, I heard a squirrel getting irritated at something in the bottom/swampy/bedding area off to my right side. Sure enough, I start hearing crunchy footsteps coming my way. Saw several deer coming through the woods a minute later. Eased the hammer back and watched. I glimpsed 5 just inside the woods around 25 yds from me. No horns and they were not at all nervous. The two yearlings bounded into the food plot and started chowing down on the wheat/oats/rye/blue lupine (but not the Trophy Radishes??) mix I'd planted in late September. #3 doe and #4 doe followed. The largest doe waited a minute and then eased out. I watched as they fed at an angle away from me, thinking they might have a buck on their trail. Not a once did they look back from where they had come from. Gave it a few minutes, cranked my scope to 4 power and waited on the biggest doe to give a good shot angle. She was going from right to left, quartering away slight with her left leg forward when I dropped the hammer. Sight picture was centered behind her front leg inline with the opposite shoulder. At the shot, she jumped, did a 180 and ran back from where she'd come from. I could see the exit hole on her right side as she headed to the trees. Piled up just inside the woodline.

Got down, dragged her to my stand, took pics and texted Forkhorn to let him know we were finally on the board!:fine:
Way to go!!!

davidf

good job sakol61r nice deer and story

Forkhorn

Team: HandCannon Coalition
11-5-09
70 yd shot.
Doe, 107 lbs.
Summit Viper climber

That's my teammate y'all!!! :fine:
Guess it's my turn.

The Handcannon Coalition is in this fight!!!

tv_racin_fan

Congrats y'all!!

Handgunner

Operation Bad Medicine on the board!

Weapon Used: S&W 629 Classic

Ammo Used: 225 gr. Hornady Leverevolution

Sex of Deer (# of points if buck): Nanny Doe

Details about the hunt: I went to my spot in the pines today since the wind was blowing so bad and it drizzling rain. At 4:30 I saw a big bodied deer easing through the pines and along the edge of the branch. It never came to the food plot, so I figured it was heading towards the cutover.

At 5:20 I saw another deer heading up the pines towards me. I put my rifle on it and zoomed in.. No buttons, no spikes, just a big ol' slick head.

Perfect!

I put the rifle back, got my ear plugs in and cocked the S&W. If she continued the same path, it would put her at 25 yards. Less than a minute later, she stepped out into the food plot and began to graze.

I got propped up, put the crosshairs on the tops of her shoulders and squeezed one off...

Boo-yow!!! She dropped and began doing the same thing the other doe I shot at the beginning of the season did....

Not wanting another to run off, I put one more into her for assurance. Less than thirty seconds later, all movement stopped, and there in the green oats, wheat, clover and turnips, lay some fine eating and 10 points! :bounce:

As I was putting my handgun back in its case, another deer stepped out.. I immediately brought the gun back up and it turns out, it was a small 4 point. I was thinking "13 more points?? Or let him go?"

It was raining, and since we try to let the small bucks walk, I figured one this evening was all I wanted to mess with, so I let him go, and took a picture of him with my cell phone. It's not the best picture, but you can see the doe laying there, and see him standing right behind her looking at her..

Thank you Lord, for your blessings on me!

Here she is... along with my ugly mug! :rofl:

Just for fun, I added in another picture of her... :rofl: :bounce:

Attachments

• hgdoe.jpg
    hgdoe.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 1,024
  • joke.jpg
    joke.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 910
  • 4ptdoe.jpg
    4ptdoe.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 980

davidf

good job handgunner

i went this morning and set until 11 didn't see any thing going back in a little while and setting until dark.

davidf

Team #12
Date: 11-12-2009
Time: 5:25 PM
Weapon used: Thompson Contender 44 mag 16" barrel with Simmons scope
Ammo used: Remington 180 grain jsp
Sex of deer: Buck 4 point
Details of hunt: I was hunting the same small food plot and had not seen anything all day. Light was fading fast when a caught some movement it the pines heading into the plot. He came out about 50 yards and starting quartering away from me. I had the pistol on my shooting sticks and had to grunt to get him to stop I put the cross hairs on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. He ran about 30 yards back into the pines and folded up. It is being deboned and turned into summer sausage.

Attachments

• 11-12-2009 (384 x 457).jpg
    11-12-2009 (384 x 457).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 874

SakoL61R

Congrats davidf!

Just checked the weather/wind & headed out the door to Screven for a morning hunt today.

Good luck to evryone this weekend!