"2012 Official Miami Football thread"

Maddawg69

I think the O will do fine with Morris making better decisions and a good running game. The recievers have to get past the butterflies and start making catchs. Hopefully the first game jitters are gone and they settle in to a game plan and excute it. The D-Line has to make it's presence known and start getting some pressure or it is going to be a long season of QB's picking us apart. With that said I am still more than happy we got the W and can't wait for the K-State game.

GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!

Maddawg69

Well we have to go play K-State this weekend and I hope we have shored up the defense a little so we can reduce the blown assignments. I think we can do fine on offense and score but can we score more than we give up? TJL I will be in GA over the weekend hopefully knocking down one so you have to keep this thread on page one. Good luck to anyone hunting this weekend and be safe.

GO CANES!!!!!

tjl1388

Some random Shapiro trash.

One reason the UM investigation has stretched 18 months is the NCAA continues to try to corroborate Nevin Shapiro’s allegations against 114 players, at least six coaches and others. Now, several people are disputing additional claims that Shapiro has made to the NCAA. The claims are not new but had not previously come to light. Among them:

### Shapiro, serving a 20-year sentence for running a Ponzi scheme, told the NCAA that then-UM coach Frank Haith asked Shapiro, who had contacts in the Miami Beach police department, to intervene when Jack McClinton was charged with DUI in Miami Beach before his senior season. Shapiro maintains he intervened on Haith’s behalf.

But McClinton’s attorney on the case, Dan Lurvey, said he had no interaction with Shapiro and never met him. He said the DUI charge was dropped “and I’m certain Nevin Shapiro was not involved” in achieving that.

### Shapiro alleged unspecified improprieties involving UM’s recruitment of basketball star John Wall, who played one year at Kentucky before turning pro. Shapiro claimed he met with UM coaches and Wall’s mentor and former AAU coach, Brian Clifton, at Shapiro’s home.

Clifton told us then-UM assistant coach Jake Morton introduced him to Shapiro during a visit to Miami – before Wall took his official visit to UM - and that Clifton and Morton went to Shapiro’s home. But Clifton said Shapiro “was not involved in John’s recruitment nor did he ever meet John.”

Clifton said UM was in the running for Wall, the nation’s top recruit in 2009, partly because of Clifton’s relationship with Morton – “Jake is a close friend” – and because “it’s not tough to sell South Beach to an 18-year-old. [But] John wanted to play for [Kentucky coach] John Calipari.”

Asked if UM committed any violations in recruiting Wall, Clifton said, “As far as I’m concerned, absolutely not.”

Asked if the NCAA has contacted him about UM’s recruitment of Wall, Clifton said, “I don’t know. Not sure. If they asked us a question, it wasn’t a major investigation.”

Clifton said, “We were supposed to be on the take and looking for money. John’s recruiting process was about as clean as anyone has ever been recruited. We didn’t talk to Miami or Kentucky about getting anything for John.”

Clifton said Morton “introduced me to Nevin because he happened to be around. It was a chance encounter on South Beach. Nevin name-dropped. He was portrayed as a mover and shaker, a guy with a lot of money with some influential friends.”

Clifton said he went inside Shapiro’s home with Morton – “we gained access to the house, saw the view from the balcony,” – but doesn’t remember if Shapiro was there.

“Nevin doesn’t feel like people came to his aid, and he’s trying to hurt guys who didn’t help him,” Clifton said.

Haith, now at Missouri, declined to comment on Shapiro’s claims about the McClinton case or Wall.

### Shapiro, who is not doing media interviews, alleged to the NCAA that two other UM boosters committed violations involving players. Shapiro alleged minor violations by Miami Beach attorney Matthew Krieger, who said he has done nothing wrong and that the NCAA has not contacted him.

The NCAA has poked around on this, but a close associate of Shapiro claimed no knowledge of wrongdoings by Krieger. The identity of the other booster is unknown.

"I would never buy anything for athletes,” Krieger said. “I was very aware of the rules. On a small number of occasions, I would be with Nevin. We ran in similar circles of friends.”

UM declined to comment on these allegations because the investigation is ongoing.

Make no mistake: The NCAA is very cognizant of Shapiro’s motives to damage UM and won’t punish UM for allegations that it has not corroborated. Some obviously have been, but some clearly have not been. And the investigation drags on, still many months from UM receiving its punishment.

LanierSpots

TJ. Have you heard the major radio rant from the former Defensive lineman? Dude, it was awesome...

Its pretty bad so I can link it here but search

Former Miami Hurricane Dan Sileo Goes on Epic Rant About Team on WQAM

alphachief

TJL,
In a way, all this Shapiro talk and the investigation is a good thing. They detract attention for your teams on field play this year!:D

Maddawg69

That is a nice comment Alpha since the mighty Noles have put a whooping on the power house teams of Murray st.and Savannah st. With that being said we did look real bad last week and need to figure out how to get these young guys to stop blowing assignments or the coaches need to get this defense in the right sets to use what we have. The defense has a lot of growing to do and it is probably going to get worse before it gets better with the injuries to some starters a lot of young guys will be getting starts and that just adds to the learning curve. Alpha is this the year you guys win it all or was that last year or is it next year?

Matt

tjl1388

The only bright spot this year....
SJfKh.jpg

alphachief

That is a nice comment Alpha since the mighty Noles have put a whooping on the power house teams of Murray st.and Savannah st. With that being said we did look real bad last week and need to figure out how to get these young guys to stop blowing assignments or the coaches need to get this defense in the right sets to use what we have. The defense has a lot of growing to do and it is probably going to get worse before it gets better with the injuries to some starters a lot of young guys will be getting starts and that just adds to the learning curve. Alpha is this the year you guys win it all or was that last year or is it next year?

Matt

Matt,
We'll be lucky to win the ACC, that alone the NC. Having said that...I'm feeling pretty confident about us being State Champs again.

Maddawg69

Alpha,

You should feel confident about winning the state and should also have a good shot at making it to the title game with both your in state rivals being down and a pretty good schedule if they don't slip up and lose to someone they should not. I would love to see an ACC team win the title and quiet down the SEC fans a bit. Good luck the rest of the season except for that one game.

Matt

tjl1388

:D:D:D

LOVE THIS!!!

Duke Johnson

ACC rankings: No. 1, all-purpose (209.5 ypg); No.2, kickoff returns (30.4 ypg); No. 3, scoring among non-kickers (9 ppg); No. 3, rushing (80 ypg).

Top national ranking: No. 1, all-purpose yards.

Totals: 65 plays, 838 yards, six touchdowns.

Highlights: Johnson has won two ACC Rookie of the Week honors this season and has amassed 200 or more all-purpose yards in three of the first four games of the year to lead all ACC players. ... Johnson's 643 yards on the season account for 40 percent of the Canes’ 1,602 total all-purpose yards. ... Johnson already has four 50-plus yard touchdown runs. That equals the total of the entire 2011 team.

Of note: In FBS football so far this season, 833 players have at least one touchdown. Of those, only two have scored more than Johnson. ... He also is one of two ACC players with a receiving, rushing and return touchdown in a game this season (Giovani Bernard at North Carolina is the other). In the opener against Boston College, Johnson became the first Miami freshman running back to rush for 100 or more yards in his first college game since Clinton Portis in 1999.

Maddawg69

Well this team showed some heart and stayed in that game after gettinng a beating in the 2nd and third quarters. I don't know what to expect from week to week but hope that they have made some strides in the right direction and show up to every game with the same mindset of never quit that they did last weekend. I don't expect to win every game this season but if they play every game for four quarters and not just lay down for a team then that is a step in the right direction. Go Canes and bring on NC State.

Maddawg69

Glad to see Perryman back hope he can help shore up our defense. We made it through another shootout but the Offense needs to stop taking the middle of the game off we have to keep scoring and put teams away until the Defense catchs up. With that being said bring on Notre Dame and go CANES!!!!!!

tjl1388

So far UM is about where I expected them to be.

Not horrible but for sure rebuilding.

We've lost twice....on the road....agains two top ten teams. I'm ok with that.

On top of that it's being done with 14 freshmen and sophomores who are playing on offense and 20 on defense.

tjl1388

Figured I would bump this up and give a little update on where UM sits.

The youth movement at UM continues and they are only getting better with every game.

Even being 4-4 I am quite happy at this point in the 2012 season.

Out of the 4 losses, 2 losses have been to top five teams and Fl. St. who is a top 10 team, UM gave all they could handle.

If anyone started the season saying that UM would be leading the Coastal after 9 weeks of football I would call them the homer of homers and tell them to quit hanging around the honey badger and his friends.

Big game tonight agains the well hated turkeys of VT who have seemed to have UM's number the last few years. Win this game and it's uVA and Duke standing in your way to the ACC Title game and a rematch against the rival Noles.....not exactly murderers row.

alphachief

Take you smack talk elsewhere injun boy, 5 rings and a positive attitute are required to post in this thread.

Have one or the other or bug off.

Too funny. Say, at what point is a National Championship ring considered an antique for valuation purposes? tjl...I look forward to your teams continued improvement. We need the strength of schedule help!