2014 f-150 5.0 Gas mileage

AllTerrainAngler

I purchased the truck 2 years ago and I was getting around 18-19 hwy and about 14 city. I'm now getting about 12hwy and city is terrible. I'm looking for some solution to get some kind of boost in mileage as I now have a 60 mile round trip

sparky

how many miles on it ?how fast u drive on hwy ? 5.0 ? I have 2013 130k 5.0 get 16-17 around town,up to 22 on road driving slow ,original spark plugs

AllTerrainAngler

130k, run about 75-80hwy. only aftermarket items are bumpers that weigh around 250lbs combined

bullfrog79

my 14 has the 5.0.4x4 crew cab with 3.55 gears and 35's. around 13 mpg in town, 17 out on the road. mobil one full synthetic oil.

joelb

It could just need a tune up. Air filter, plugs, etc. Bumpers may knock it down a notch but shouldn't affect it that much. My 13 Supercrew FX4 with 3.55 and 35's with huge brush guard still averages 16mpg.

baddave

check the air pressure in your tires .. can make a huge difference

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
open the hood and listen while the engine is running. if you are hearing noise in the top end, it could be the cam phasers. I am told that trying to stretch oil changes and dirty oil will gum them up and cause low mpg and a rattle on the top side.

transfixer

I believe those cam phasers operate differently than the ones on the 5.4 that everyone has trouble with, I would look at things like the mass air flow sensor, when they get dirty the computer doesn't know what kind of load the engine is under, and it can affect a number of different settings, you might have a shop check your short term fuel trims and long term fuel trims, requires a scanner capable of reading data, that will tell you if the computer is commanding more fuel than is normal for some reason. Other than that, new air filter, tire pressures, possibly plugs, but with todays fuel plugs seem to last forever.

boatbuilder

I purchased the truck 2 years ago and I was getting around 18-19 hwy and about 14 city. I'm now getting about 12hwy and city is terrible. I'm looking for some solution to get some kind of boost in mileage as I now have a 60 mile round trip

Have you checked to see if it is throwing a code?

rayjay

Try driving 55 to 60 and being real smooth on the throttle pedal for a few weeks and see if the mileage jumps up. At 75 to 80 aero drag is starting to build up.

SLY22

Useles Member !
I own a 2014 crew cab ford f150 fx 5.0 motor lifted wih over sized wheels and tires and get 14.8 mpg. Drve mostly on rural country roads. Get a little better on the highway.