2014 Ford F150 needs a A/C recharge

Buford_Dawg

Do I take it to my repair shop or should I do it myself. Looks very easy to do based on the research I have done. The Walmart A/C Pro refrigerant gets excellent reviews. Thoughts welcomed?

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
No matter who does it, it will be a never ending process until the leak is fixed. That said, it would be cheaper to do it yourself and just keep a can with you so you can add as needed when needed

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If it happened suddenly you may have a substantial leak. That will need to be done by skilled folks.
If gradually you may be okay to get the tube and refrigerant and do yourself.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Some of the DIY recharge kits have sealant in them that can muck up the system. If you want to add freon only it should be O.K. But you still have a leak until you fix it.

cactusjack

I've got a 14 F150 as well. Keep in mind that a common complaint on these generation trucks is the ac or lack thereof. I've also thought about using the diy kits but have read they can only make your system worse. Check out this thread as a cheap remedy to see it it perhaps makes your ac a bit cooler. I'm planning on doing it once I get a free moment..

https://www.f150forum.com/f98/write-up-how-i-made-my-not-so-great-c-little-better-217596/

As others have stated if it was cold and all of a sudden it's not, you may have a larger issue. Hope this helps.

Lilly001

I used to put a can in every 3-4 months until I replaced the high pressure cut out valve and checked/tightened all the joints.
Now it’s been over a year and it’s going good.
2001 Chevy truck.

transfixer

The do it yourself cans will work in a pinch, but you're better off to get a shop to put some dye in the system and find the leak. Plus its always better to monitor the high side pressures while charging the system, by watching both high and low side you can spot a restriction in the system such as metal in the orfice tube, or a failing compressor.

zedex

Gator Bait
A/C work is fairly easy to do.
I would do the home kit with leak detection dye. You will find the leak easy enough and decide if you want to get it done or do it yourself.
It's an inexpensive way to solve the issue

Buford_Dawg

So, talked to my local mechanic, he said go with the bottle stuff without the sealant. Said I probably had no major leak, that over time all A/C systems will eventually lose pressue and refrigerant. I added one small can, 12 oz., and got my PSI up to 45, it was at 35. I am positive I dont have a major leak, just needed a small replenish, LOL.... Working great now.