2015 Bear Camp... Thur 1/14 meet up Taco Mac Holcomb Bridge

Marlin_444

I am not the one to ask, only hit the CNF once or twice a year during Bears Season...

Dana Young can advise... Or other locals...

But I'll be there...

ripplerider

I didnt see a single bear last year either in the woods or on the road. I usually see several per yr. I think they were laid up in the ivy thickets lapping up the abundant acorns with no need to travel much. I didnt see any hogs either. Killed 2 young bucks, 1 in the mtns. and 1 in the foothills.

Marlin_444

I didnt see a single bear last year either in the woods or on the road. I usually see several per yr. I think they were laid up in the ivy thickets lapping up the abundant acorns with no need to travel much. I didnt see any hogs either. Killed 2 young bucks, 1 in the mtns. and 1 in the foothills.

Thanks Jeff, and there you have it...

See yah soon!

Ron

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I am headed for and will be in Helen area for the rest of the week. Anyone else around?

Might wet a line and see if I can catch a fish or two.

Marlin_444

I am headed for and will be in Helen area for the rest of the week. Anyone else around?

Might wet a line and see if I can catch a fish or two.

And me in Kentucky...

pnome

Turkey season is going well

IMG_20150411_093548120.jpg

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Good Job Joe

Marlin_444

Turkey season is going well

Joe - Thunder Chicken Commander!!! Congrats Brother!!!

IMG_20150411_093548120.jpg

Congrats Pnome! Did you kill him in Lumpkin co? Look forward to seeing you this fall Ron.

Same here Jeff, I had to break down and buy (yes a did buy something and not trade a gun) for a brand new in the box tent.

Bowstring gave me one that I used last year; I got it out to clean and prep and it "gave up the ghost"...

Been getting some long walks up and down the mountains here in Bama ( Bankhead Ntl Forest) so I am getting ready for a run at the elusive North Georgia Black Bear!!!

See y'all soon...

Attachments

• Brushy Creek at Old Arley Road - Houston, AL.jpg
    Brushy Creek at Old Arley Road - Houston, AL.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 756

pnome

Yup, got it in Lumpkin county at my hunting club.

9" beard, 1 1/4" sprus.

The story starts friday evening. After work I headed to camp and got all set up and was sitting on my tailgate when I heard a bird gobble about 300yrds away. I quickly grabbed my shotgun and ran on over there, still in my street clothes.

Got set up and made a few calls that he responded to, so I was thinking " All Right! Start this weekend off right here!"

But next time he gobbled he was a bit further away. I followed along not calling or anything until I heard him fly up. Roosted.

Woke up early the next morning and got set up on him ~100 yrds away. Sure enough, he lights it up from the roost. I just gave him a soft tree call to let him know I was there and he gobbled at me. So i put the call down and waited....and waited.... Next time I hear him gobble and he had gone the other way. Every time he gobbled, he'd be a little further off. I was able to make out what direction he was headed, so I got in the truck and drove closer. Got set up on a clearing near where I thought he was heading and called. He responded with a gobble from, I'm guessing, about 300 yrds away. Across a road and on another club. So I figured that was it. No way I'd be able to call him from that far and have him cross a road to get to me.

Just as I was about to give it up I hear a bunch of hens start carrying on in the bottom behind me. So, I'm thinking, I might not be able to call him in, but maybe they can. So I just sat there and waited. Sure enough, about 10 minutes later I see a blue head pop up from the tall weeds. Then I see two more with him.

The lead one steps out, I see he's not a jake and shoot him. His two friends just stopped and stared at me. So I pumped another round in the ole' mossberg 500 and they knew what was up and were gone before I could get the gun on either of them.

Marlin_444

Good stuff Joe!

Hope y'all are sighting in your 22's!

Here is my Marlin XT 22 Mag Small Game/Yote/Hog Shooter...

•••

Attachments

• Marlin XT 22 Mag.jpg
    Marlin XT 22 Mag.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 943

Marlin_444

I'd rather be lucky than good...

Found this on my walk this morning!!!

Have a Great (fill in your blank)!!!

•••

Attachments

• IMG_20150415_080519_edit_edit.jpg
    IMG_20150415_080519_edit_edit.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 953

Marlin_444

So it's been 10 years since I joined Woody's (Miss Yah Brother!)...

Dana Young got me hooked on Bear Hunting (Thank you Brother)...

You Bear Hunting Outlaws need to make at least a weekend this season, if nothing other than to get a mountain Tick or spit and whittle a while.

Black Powder opening weekend.

Joe and I (news to Joe) will be putting a Pig in the ground on Saturday...

Y'all come for the celebration...

Ron

7Mag Hunter

So it's been 10 years since I joined Woody's (Miss Yah Brother!)...

Dana Young got me hooked on Bear Hunting (Thank you Brother)...

You Bear Hunting Outlaws need to make at least a weekend this season, if nothing other than to get a mountain Tick or spit and whittle a while.

Black Powder opening weekend.

Joe and I (news to Joe) will be putting a Pig in the ground on Saturday...

Y'all come for the celebration...

Ron

Is it to early to start a "count down clock"???:clap:

Marlin_444

Bonaire-Dave

I guess it's good that I bring in my bird feeders now. Just walked George the 12yr old Shih Tzu around the house and found some bear poop on the edge of the woods between the houses. Dave

Marlin_444

Dave... I would be happy to come over and dispatch your critter :)