2016 Oglethorpe County Reports

Arrow3

Just sick feeling. Trotted up to me at 10:00 in a open creek bottom. I flat out missed a gimme shot. Have no clue how. :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe. Oh well I hope I see him again this week. And where is Sanders BBQ?

Vesta....Probably 10-12 minutes from Sandy Cross café....

Buford_Dawg

Tuesday 11/22/16 update

Been a whirlwind last 5 days for me hunting. I have seen 7 bucks and 4 of those were really nice deer. Shot at and missed a huge 8 point Sunday AM and then hunted a different property Monday AM and took a nice 9 point buck. All the bucks I have seen were alone and just cruising thru woods. Seen does already grouped back up. Our chasing happened the 4th thru the 11th. Our members saw lots of young bucks chasing during that time. Nothing since. It seems the mature bucks have been on their feet since looking for does as our clubs have taken several nice bucks in last 7 days.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 559

Hoyt804

The bucks are through chasing until the second rut. I saw 12 does and 1 small buck this morning. All of the does were grouped up and the buck was by himself. I shot one of the does with my bow.

Buford_Dawg

Thanksgiving...

Packed camp and came home last night after spending a week in the OC woods. Had a very enjoyable time with family and friends over the week. We continued to see deer each hunt, but numbers seen were decreasing daily. Had a decent 8 point and several does taken on the clubs, but nothing to get excited about. Unfortunately, we have run into trespassing issues again this year on my Cloud creek club. Found their climber and ladderstand yesterday after getting blown out Friday AM. Have provided our land owner the GPS coordinates and his land manager is addressing this week. This is 3rd year in a row we have had to address this issue with same person :banginghe It has been a good season, but my hunting is slowing down now. Just much harder to see a good buck this time of year. Plus parts of my CC club will be clearcut in December. May hunt hard the week after Xmas if I can locate a good buck on camera again, I still have 8 cameras out in strategic spots and on scrapes, hoping the secondary rut around Dec 7th -10th may get a old buck on his feet and show his self. Good luck rest of year to all you OC hunters.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Hunted Sunday morning had intentions on shooting a couple of does. Saw two young bucks pushing does around so I decided not to shoot anything and just watch hoping one of them were in estrous and a shooter would come and check them out but he never did

Hoyt804

I spent about three hours today doing some scouting and found multiple fresh scrapes. I would say the buck are up searching for does that were not bred. I had multiple trail cam pictures of bucks walking in the daylight hours.

revans4661

That's good to hear! Been out of the game for 2 weeks, but will be back in the woods this weekend. Hopefully we'll see some movement. It was this time last year we saw alot of chasing.

Buford_Dawg

Weekend update...

I did not hunt this weekend. But, we had a good number of hunters on our CC property as it is expected that logging will begin this week. Our members trying to get in a few more quality hunts. Reports were that numerous does are being seen in our foodplots that are now starting to spout up. And we had a 115 inch 9 point killed in a clearcut cruising. Several other members saw shooter bucks and could not get on them, so it appears this weekend was a good weekend to be in the woods. I hope to be able to hunt this coming weekend.

revans4661

They are logging on turner hill now.
I hunted Sunday morning in the wind and rain. Did not see a thing but saw 2 fresh scrapes. Today would be a nice day to be out there. CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored work...

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Hunted Saturday morning in hopes of killing a couple of does for the freezer. I saw 3 bucks and that was it!

hicktownboy

Hunted this past Saturday. Saw 6 does Saturday morning just wandering through a clear cut. Saturday evening I saw a spike and two does in a clear cut. They were moving pretty good in our area. Food plots were starting to sprout up, hope they make it through the cooler temps and keep growing.

revans4661

Anyone go this past weekend? I went friday and saw 9 does. I moved my stand to hunt over some very fresh sign on Saturday and saw 1
3 pt. all day. I went back on Sunday morning because of all the sign in the same area and saw nothing. It's going to be tough hunting from here on out, but I need 1 more for the freezer.

Buford_Dawg

I hunted Friday AM, Saturday AM and Saturday PM. Saw 2 does Friday and 1 doe PM Saturday. In the hardwoods eating acorns. Had cameras in video mode and should have been in the woods on Saturday, the 3rd as I had 3 different bucks chasing and breeding a doe. One was a huge 8 point that I have been after the whole season. He was 30 steps from my stand at 9:33 last Saturday while I was back at home doing Xmas shopping. We had a doe killed on Saturday AM in a clearcut. She was with a group of 7 does, so it appears the doe groups are getting together and hanging out. What few members are still hunting all saw deer this weekend, generally this late in the year it is tough to see many but we continue to see a few here and there. Logging starts on our club this week if not too wet from rain expected today, so not sure how much more I will deer hunt once that kicks in. If anyone is aware of club openings or lease opportunities in OC, please let me know. I may be looking for next year.

rbday1989

Hunted Sunday morning and evening seen two does in the AM but couldn't get a shot and hunted my food plot in the evening and it's looking better with the rain some of the food plots in the club look great!! Two guys have seen a lot of does in the fields and one guy killed a 8pt last Friday evening out of a food plot.. morning hunts have been slow no one really seeing anything.. my cameras that was on scrapes are done few does passing by but no more bucks checking them.. hunting is going to be tough I'd say hunt your food plots in the evening looking for a buck feeding..

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
2 of us hunted Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Did not see a deer at all. Heard 2 shots all weekend. Vesta area of OC.

Triple C

Food plots on our place finally looking good. Seeing good deer numbers on most sits but have only taken 3 deer all season - 2 does / 1 buck.

Pic below doesn't do justice to the size of the hawg. He was a biggun! I honestly thought it was a bear when I saw him coming thru the pines. Bucket is 6 ft wide and he filled up a bunch of the bucket.
IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

Buford_Dawg

Wow...

That is a big hawg :banana: I hunted Friday and Saturday AM. Saw a spike and several yearling does moving around on my sits. Deer have moved into our clearcut and staying in thick cover now. We have not had a trailcam picture of a decent buck in 3 weeks now. They have disappeared. Will try it again for a few days after Xmas and then plan on doing some small game hunting on both my properties.