2016 Wilkes County Reports

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Same. Food plots dry as a bone and getting a very wimpy start. I hope hurricane mathew comes.
We got some trail cam pics of young bucks sparring in one of the food plot

cr00241

Judging by the radar, my place should have got some good rain in Washington. Anybody around that area this weekend seeing any good amount of rain?

Possum

Banned
Not much but Ill take it! According to Noaa rainfall map, our place between Washington and Tignal got .10" Southeastern Wilkes got between .25-.5" A little further to southeast near Augusta got 1.5" and just across county line in Elbert county some places got no rain. I got more rain yesterday at my home in the mountains.
Oh well should be just enough to give the food plots a little drink.
How did your hunt go last week? Ive hunted a total of 10 hours at my place and havent seen a deer from stand. But deer are really moving on place according to trail cams. Have had 5 new bucks show up in last 4 weeks and three of them are shooters. Even had a couple daytime pics of a nice 8 point. Acorns still arent really dropping much, just a few here and there. If its a poor year for acorns and foodplots fail due to drought, deer arent going to have much to eat this winter.

cr00241

Not much but Ill take it! According to Noaa rainfall map, our place between Washington and Tignal got .10" Southeastern Wilkes got between .25-.5" A little further to southeast near Augusta got 1.5" and just across county line in Elbert county some places got no rain. I got more rain yesterday at my home in the mountains.
Oh well should be just enough to give the food plots a little drink.
How did your hunt go last week? Ive hunted a total of 10 hours at my place and havent seen a deer from stand. But deer are really moving on place according to trail cams. Have had 5 new bucks show up in last 4 weeks and three of them are shooters. Even had a couple daytime pics of a nice 8 point. Acorns still arent really dropping much, just a few here and there. If its a poor year for acorns and foodplots fail due to drought, deer arent going to have much to eat this winter.

I should have put a rain gauge out on my place in Washington last time I was up there. I saw 5 the first morning and 3 the next, all does. Bucks were on camera in front of one of buddy stands during the day two days before I went. :banginghe

Possum

Banned
We are seeing a lot of movement. New bucks showing up every week on camera. A couple nice ones too!
Acorns were not as plentiful as I hoped considering nothing green growing. Got a couple feeders towards center of property that are getting hit harder than ever and I guess that's keeping deer fed well enough. Still hoping rain will eventually come and we'll get to hunt over a green plot later in season.

Aztec

Acorns scarce, deer plentiful. 3 of us saw 38 Saturday. Have only killed 1 with bow, 1 with muzzleloader.

cr00241

Acorns scarce, deer plentiful. 3 of us saw 38 Saturday. Have only killed 1 with bow, 1 with muzzleloader.

I will be up there next week for a couple of days, call me if y'all kill a good one this weekend, I have to work.

Aztec

Also more turkeys than I have seen in many years. I think poult survival has been good due to almost no rain. 10-4 I will be in touch.

Warrenco

I'm right on the Lincoln co Wilkes co line. First few hunts saw about 8-9 deer but the last 3 hunts, zero.

cr00241

How did the deer movement look this morning? I was able to get off tomorrow, so I am excited to get up there in the morning. Suppose to be 46.

Possum

Banned
Saw some does this morning. Found a few white oaks that had good acorns around them and the trees that had acorns all had multiple piles of deer droppings around them. Of coarse the trees around my stands don't have much acorns. So gonna take climber in there tomorrow and set up on one particular tree that looks promising. Haven't seen any buck sign in woods yet.

Possum

Banned
Saw eight does Sunday. Finally found good buck sign. Also found new spot on our place that may be a honey hole... dried up swamp with loaded persimmons all around it. Can't wait to get back over there and hunt it.

cr00241

No rain and more high temps....... No food plots this year. Been seeing some does but haven't noticed any chasing around my parts.

Possum

Banned
How's your duck pond looking? Checked mine last weekend and still had water but you could probably walk across most of it with rubber boots. I bought a little John boat and painted it camo and everything but looks like it won't be needed this duck season. Did still have a few wood ducks in it though! Hope it doesn't dry completely before I get to hunt it.

cr00241

How's your duck pond looking? Checked mine last weekend and still had water but you could probably walk across most of it with rubber boots. I bought a little John boat and painted it camo and everything but looks like it won't be needed this duck season. Did still have a few wood ducks in it though! Hope it doesn't dry completely before I get to hunt it.

My creek is actually full when I checked it a couple of days ago. I jumped a few woodies going down there and put a camera on the creek. Acorns and Persimmons are dropping all around it.