2018 Bear Kill thread

Rabun

I got my first bear this weekend on one of the early rifle hunts. She was 125 pounds field dressed and about killed me packing it down the mountain. I strapped her onto my climber and hiked out not realizing how heavy she was. I also shot a nice boar hog the day before. I will do a full write up of the hunt story later today or tomorrow.

Outstanding...Congratulations! you've got a full freezer now(y) Looking forward to the hunting stories.

Ghost G

Way to go GTHunter!

FMBear

I got my first bear this weekend on one of the early rifle hunts. She was 125 pounds field dressed and about killed me packing it down the mountain. I strapped her onto my climber and hiked out not realizing how heavy she was. I also shot a nice boar hog the day before. I will do a full write up of the hunt story later today or tomorrow.

Congrats!! Fine looking bear and coat on her!

Christian hughey

One day..... i hope to post a picture on this thread!
Get out and get him. I've been tryin for years now. So close second week of bow season. Hope to get it done this year myself. One thing is for sure. I'm see'in bears finally. The view at the top of that mountain and those bears are some of God's finest creations. Look forward to bow season and chasin bears every year. You boys made a bear hunter outta me.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
nice bear GTHunter

twincedargap

View attachment 943925
You carried a stand and 125#’s of bear on your back at the same time? Amazing! And beautiful bear BTW, congrats!

Timberman

Congrats man! Kudos and extra points for bringing her out mountain man style!

Christian hughey

Game cart will be the best 100$ you can spend. Not knocking throw in it over your shoulder and doin what ya gotta do to get it out. I hope you wrapped that thing in about 5 orange vests though. Gun season. You guys are awesome but I worry about some with a rifle in hand. I also heard it's not legal to have my game cart on wilderness area. Is this true? If so. Come on DNR. I dont get that one but please enlighten me. It's not motorized and these bears ain't that easy to carry. Big bag of puddin up hill all the way seems like don't it? Wide cart with campered wheels will handle up to 300 lb easy and wheels are better than no wheels. I strapped a 195lb buck another doe my stand, pack and bow to that thing and strolled out no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

goshenmountainman

Wrapped up my bear hunting Monday evening while I was scouting for deer sign. Same area I got the first one, walked up on him feeding under some oaks in a logging road. Couldn't sneak any closer than 45 yds. because of open woods. Ranged him, took careful aim, and sent the china rage to work. Double lung, and clean pass thru, made it about 35 yds. Had a beautiful full coat and was fat as mud. I will put up a pic as soon as I can get this computer to load it.thumbnail_IMAG0217.jpg

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Game cart will be the best 100$ you can spend. Not knocking throw in it over your shoulder and doin what ya gotta do to get it out. I hope you wrapped that thing in about 5 orange vests though. Gun season. You guys are awesome but I worry about some with a rifle in hand. I also heard it's not legal to have my game cart on wilderness area. Is this true? If so. Come on DNR. I dont get that one but please enlighten me. It's not motorized and these bears ain't that easy to carry. Big bag of puddin up hill all the way seems like don't it? Wide cart with campered wheels will handle up to 300 lb easy and wheels are better than no wheels. I strapped a 195lb buck another doe my stand, pack and bow to that thing and strolled out no problem.

That's federal law, not state law. Any area designated as wilderness is meant to be hands-off by humans. While we can still recreate on the land, all the prohibitions below are meant minimize any impacts by humans.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/wilderness/upload/1964-Wilderness-Act.pdf

PROHIBITION OF CERTAIN USES (c) Except as specifically provided for in this Act, and subject to existing private rights, there shall be no commercial enterprise and no permanent road within any wilderness area designated by this Act and, except as necessary to meet minimum requirements for the administration of the area for the purpose of this Act (including measures required in emergencies involving the health and safety of persons within the area), there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area.

twincedargap

That's federal law, not state law. Any area designated as wilderness is meant to be hands-off by humans. While we can still recreate on the land, all the prohibitions below are meant minimize any impacts by humans.

PROHIBITION OF CERTAIN USES (c) Except as specifically provided for in this Act, and subject to existing private rights, there shall be no commercial enterprise and no permanent road within any wilderness area designated by this Act and, except as necessary to meet minimum requirements for the administration of the area for the purpose of this Act (including measures required in emergencies involving the health and safety of persons within the area), there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area.

Killmaster is correct. You'll notice on the wilderness signs, its says no bikes, etc.. So yes, carts would be excluded also.

Christian hughey

I get it and I don't get it. But abide by all state and federal game mgt. laws I respect the land and all you guys do to ensure a future in hunting. That bein said I'll stay out of the wilderness area with my cart. So how was the hooch hunt this past weekend I saw a few small bears and didn't shoot, couple hogs and a yote that got a pass. Heard a few shots. Do you know how many were tagged and did anyone get a good one? A buddy of mine got his first bear and the weekend before I had a big one take an arrow through the crease, run forever and wasn't recovered. Seems like a real good year for everyone for the most part.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I get it and I don't get it. But abide by all state and federal game mgt. laws I respect the land and all you guys do to ensure a future in hunting. That bein said I'll stay out of the wilderness area with my cart. So how was the hooch hunt this past weekend I saw a few small bears and didn't shoot, couple hogs and a yote that got a pass. Heard a few shots. Do you know how many were tagged and did anyone get a good one? A buddy of mine got his first bear and the weekend before I had a big one take an arrow through the crease, run forever and wasn't recovered. Seems like a real good year for everyone for the most part.

I'm not sure about any totals so far since I didn't go by the check station after the hunt. My buddy shot a bear on Saturday morning and I missed one that afternoon. Pretty much everyone I've talked to at least saw bears.

Rabun

Wrapped up my bear hunting Monday evening while I was scouting for deer sign. Same area I got the first one, walked up on him feeding under some oaks in a logging road. Couldn't sneak any closer than 45 yds. because of open woods. Ranged him, took careful aim, and sent the china rage to work. Double lung, and clean pass thru, made it about 35 yds. Had a beautiful full coat and was fat as mud. I will put up a pic as soon as I can get this computer to load it.

Way to go Goshen! Thin those bears out...you tagged out? Congratulations!

GTHunter

You carried a stand and 125#’s of bear on your back at the same time? Amazing! And beautiful bear BTW, congrats!

Yeah it was rough and maybe the hardest thing I have ever done physically. When I finally got her all strapped on and tried to stand up I knew I had made a mistake, but I was already committed. I'll probably try a different way next time.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Yeah it was rough and maybe the hardest thing I have ever done physically. When I finally got her all strapped on and tried to stand up I knew I had made a mistake, but I was already committed. I'll probably try a different way next time.

You ought to grow out your beard. You're a man now.