2018 Bear Kill thread

FMBear

Wrapped up my bear hunting Monday evening while I was scouting for deer sign. Same area I got the first one, walked up on him feeding under some oaks in a logging road. Couldn't sneak any closer than 45 yds. because of open woods. Ranged him, took careful aim, and sent the china rage to work. Double lung, and clean pass thru, made it about 35 yds. Had a beautiful full coat and was fat as mud. I will put up a pic as soon as I can get this computer to load it.

Way to go!! Congrats!!

Killer Kyle

Yeah it was rough and maybe the hardest thing I have ever done physically. When I finally got her all strapped on and tried to stand up I knew I had made a mistake, but I was already committed. I'll probably try a different way next time.
Here's how to tackle the beast next time man. Ditch your stand in a place where only you can find it. I carry a mesh laundry bag. Weighs about 1/2 ounce. String up your non-essential gear in the bag in a tree by the stand. The non essential stuff includes bottles of water, used knives, batteries, rain jacket..whatever items that you dont need to get it to the truck. Strip your kit down as light as you can get it, and make haste on the drag. Come back and get your gear tomorrow or the next day or next weekend when you are rested. Toting out 150 lbs on the back and down hill is a sure fire way to pull a back muscle or tear an ACL or MCL. You need to change tour handle to Herculese!

GTHunter

@Killer Kyle I hate dragging critters even more than I dislike carrying them whole on my back. They seem to weight twice as much, and with all the logs and saplings in my trail down it would have been near impossible. Next time I will hang it from a tree and skin and quarter it out like I usually do, I was just worried about messing up the hide with it being my first time cleaning a bear.

Killer Kyle

I killed one tonight on the early Chattahoocee rifle hunt. Shot her 9 steps away from me. I just got done skinning and quartering her. Got a shower, ate dinner, and am just now laying down to bed. She weighed about 125-140 or so. I'll make a post with pics within the next couple of days. Good luck to you guys over the next couple days and approaching weeks. The bears are on the move right now!!!

Last edited:

FMBear

I killed one tonight on the early Chattahoocee rifle hunt. Shot her 9 steps away from me. I just got done skinning and quartering her. Got a shower, ate dinner, and am just now laying down to bed. She weighed about 125-140 or so. I'll make a post with pics within the next couple of days. Good luck to you guys over the next couple days and appeoaching weeks. The bears are on the move right now!!!

CONGRATULATIONS Kyle! I know you're sleeping in today!
I know you're looking forward to enjoying some bear BBQ.

tree cutter 08

Got this sow bear on the rifle hunt this morning. Started out walking at daylight just easing along. Acorns we're raining down. Eased up the ridge until at choked down with ivys and and ran out of acorns and squirrels. Gut told me I needed to go lower and check few ridges over and try to find whites instead of reds. On the second ridge over I seen movement and knew it was either a hog or bear. Watched and eased in little closer and seen it was a bear. It's so thick this time of year so took me a few minutes to get few yards closer to get a better shot. She was under a white oak picking up what couldn't have been more than a handful. Shot through the shoulders with a 44 mag xtp. To my surprise she ran 50 yards before piling up. She left a blood trail a blind man could follow. Guess she was around 125 give or take. Glad to get one down after missing 2 with bow this season.

Attachments

• IMG_20180929_084725900-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20180929_084725900-600x800.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20180929_111630670-600x800.jpg
    IMG_20180929_111630670-600x800.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 148

Buckman18

Great job, Treecutter!

I got one this morning also. Been saving this spot until the rifle hunt, it’s very hard to bow hunt effectively. Several red oak leads meet, and each one has a series or trails that join together. Kind of like Spaghetti Junction for bears. It’s really thick, though, making it tough to bow hunt. At daylight, had a shooter in the scope but only had a head shot. I thought it was going to move into a lane for a more open shot, but it turned and went out of sight. 30 minutes later, this boar came in silently from below me. Bear, hammer cock, BOOM! The 45-70 spoke. The bear dropped. Then the work began. Now im watching the Dawgs, drinking a Miller lite, and having a nize day.

Last edited:

Rabun

Great job you guys! I'll be out the week of PW...hope there's some left. Congratulations Killer Kyle and Tree Cutter! And to all the bear killers to date!

tree cutter 08

They will still be there rabun! Me and the little man went this evening and got on 2 but no shots were taken. We ran out of daylight on the second one. He was feeding on acorns in waste high buck berries so we left him with it.

Buckman18

Man, y'all are putting them on the ground. I'll get around to going one of these days.

Buckman, those teeth look worn, or is it just me?

I don’t know if they were worn but they were small and thin it seemed. I figured him to be a young bear? Going again tomorrow will keep you posted if we score again.

Cwb19

Congrats treecutter and buckman on some nice bears .looks like it was a good day in the mountains