2018 Bear Kill thread

Buckman18

Way to go Buckman! Now that you are tagged out the deer better be looking over their shoulder for you. Temps in the 40s by next weekend. Finally! This has been the hottest, most humid bow season I can remember.

I agree JBOGG it has been plum HAWT!

Killer Kyle

Got it done near Dahlonega yesterday afternoon. Stalked it on the ground for a couple hundred yards. Ended up with a 44yd shot and watched it fall in sight. I figure he weighs 175-200.
Thats a goodun'!! Way to get it done, and on the stalk! THAT is what I call hunting!

Christian hughey

So I got settled in Saturday morning light broke real good and I was starring at about a 250 lb stump for about 15 mins before I realized he wasn't budgin. I guess I just be like that sometimes! Lol. Other than that real hot and no movement on my end. Seems bears have been pushed from the area. Trails that once had scratch marks up the banks all over have become slick from lack of use. Scat piles have dried. Not much fresh sign now time to pack it up and push deeper. Weather should have them goin this week.

Last edited:

Buckman18

So I got settled in Saturday morning light broke real good and I was starring at about a 250 lb stump for about 15 mins before I realized he wasn't budgin. I guess I just be like that sometimes! Lol. Other than that real hot and no movement on my end. Seems bears have been pushed from the area. Trails that once had scratch marks up the banks all over have become slick from lack of use. Scat piles have dried. Not much fresh sign now time to pack it up and push deeper. Weather should have them goin this week.

Sounds like they’ve moved on. Not saying you won’t go back and get lucky, but it sounds like the bears have probably cleaned up the few white oaks down low and returned back up high looking for the reds. In most places in the mountains going forward, it’ll be red oaks for bucks and bears. At least that’s where I will be. However, IF you happen to find a hot white oak I’d be hanging in there like a hair in a biscuit. Good luck!

Last edited:

Christian hughey

Sounds like they’ve moved on. Not saying you won’t go back and get lucky, but it sounds like the bears have probably cleaned up the few white oaks down low and returned back up high looking for the reds. In most places in the mountains going forward, it’ll be red oaks for bucks and bears. IF you happen to find a hot white oak I’d be hanging in there like a hair in a biscuit. Good luck!
Just hope I can fill one of them tags dnr is handing out like hot cakes this year. Hope I can get half as lucky as you bro.

goshenmountainman

Right now they are starting to move more, lots of trees that have acorns are dropping heavily. Most of the trees I have found are in clusters and sometimes the clusters are scattered out pretty far. Found a good cluster last week and took my son in Friday evening, saw a 200lb. bear that wouldn't get close enough and 30 minutes later a big 7-point came in and gave him a 25yd. shot, he hit the sleeve of his leafy suit and sent the arrow right over top of his shoulder, he was devastated. On our way out we had to go through a small grove of red oaks that were dropping a few acorns and walked face to face with a big bear that sounded like a bull when he ran through the ivy thicket below us. Then I promptly spent the weekend in the hospital, kidney stones again! These things are awful!!

Christian hughey

Right now they are starting to move more, lots of trees that have acorns are dropping heavily. Most of the trees I have found are in clusters and sometimes the clusters are scattered out pretty far. Found a good cluster last week and took my son in Friday evening, saw a 200lb. bear that wouldn't get close enough and 30 minutes later a big 7-point came in and gave him a 25yd. shot, he hit the sleeve of his leafy suit and sent the arrow right over top of his shoulder, he was devastated. On our way out we had to go through a small grove of red oaks that were dropping a few acorns and walked face to face with a big bear that sounded like a bull when he ran through the ivy thicket below us. Then I promptly spent the weekend in the hospital, kidney stones again! These things are awful!!
At least your see in bears. I learned along time ago if your not see'in game it's you not them.

Buckman18

I'm surprised no one has posted any muzzleloader bears!

twincedargap

Clusters of white oak bearing? I’m barely finding one that has produced any acorns.

tree cutter 08

I'm surprised no one has posted any muzzleloader bears!
The annual 30-30 ministry's bear hunt was this past weekend. There were 2 bears killed and I think most out of 15 kids seen bears. The young man I was guiding missed one, and we seen 3. My buddy below us that was also guiding, they saw 1 and he was hit but we didn't find him. Another buddy was also guding and they had a miss as well. They are still definitely on the move.

Buckman18

sounds like y’all had a great hunt!

ripplerider

Some people call them mountain oaks but I've always called them chestnut oaks too. Quercus montana is the Latin name which is where they get mountain oak I guess. Theyre in the white oak family but I usually dont find much feeding sign under them. I guess the critters will take what they can get this year.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Last week, on 2 separate days, I went on long loops through the woods scouting for bear sign. I saw TONS of red oak acorns on the ground and a bunch of deer sign on them. In about 11 miles of walking, I found a total of 3 white oaks that the bears had been up a few weeks ago, but nothing now. After evaluating my freezer situation, I really don't feel the need to kill anything right now. I don't want to kill anything just for the sake of killing.