2018 Braves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Well i see this year is the same as last year.
Vizcaino WALKED the winning run home last night in a tie extra innings game. :banginghe

Last season IIRC he walked three in a row with the bases loaded in a game against washington.

biggdogg

So far they've looked pretty good and have been fun to watch for a change. Vizcaino is only holding a spot for Minter while gets experience as a setup man. Viz has pitched well up until last night.

But, one game makes a season I guess....

Patriot44

Banned
They are one game ahead of the Nats and one game behind the Mets. Only two teams in the entire league have scored more runs this year thus far than the Bravo's. They look pretty good.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
They are one game ahead of the Nats and one game behind the Mets. Only two teams in the entire league have scored more runs this year thus far than the Bravo's. They look pretty good.

I ain't holdin' my bref. I'll check and see where they are at the All Star break and then decide if I'm going to waste any time on them.

biggdogg

I ain't holdin' my bref. I'll check and see where they are at the All Star break and then decide if I'm going to waste any time on them.

Might wanna check in on 04/14... Ronald Acuna. Remember that name

Coenen

Might wanna check in on 04/14... Ronald Acuna. Remember that name
I was waiting to start a 2018 Braves thread until they brought him up. I was surprised we didn't have one already.

I think they'll be pretty good this year, actually. Somewhere around .500 at least. Seems like they've got most of the guys they want playing the field, all that's left is to figure out who's pitching.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I was waiting to start a 2018 Braves thread until they brought him up. I was surprised we didn't have one already.

I think they'll be pretty good this year, actually. Somewhere around .500 at least. Seems like they've got most of the guys they want playing the field, all that's left is to figure out who's pitching.

and to figure out when a pitcher cant throw a strike for his life don't leave him on there till he eventually walks one in home:rolleyes:

Coenen

and to figure out when a pitcher cant throw a strike for his life don't leave him on there till he eventually walks one in home:rolleyes:
Young players, young season, let the kid try to work through some adversity.

Perhaps you'd like Jim Johnson back? ::ke:

Duff

Enjoying watching the young hungry kids play. Hope they keep it up!!

JHannah92

Braves have played pretty well so far, especially offensively. They probably won't contend this year, but they have good young talent, with some solid prospects that will likely get the call at some point this year. I like what they're building.

biggdogg

With Acuna in a week, Riley sometime after the All-Star break and Pache sometime next year, the Braves have a good core in the making. I'm ready to see what Allard, Wright and Soroka can do as well.

BornToHuntAndFish

During these several years/seasons of rebuilding, I'm intentionally keeping my Braves expectations low to avoid long ongoing disappointments. Still expecting at least a couple more years/seasons of the team rebuilding process before having much of a chance at a winning record restoration.

No excuse for Vizcaíno giving up 3 walks & a double in the 10th inning to earn the loss, but glad the Braves stayed competitive in forcing the close game into extra innings.

For each of the last few years/seasons, Braves continue creating some new team record highlights.

At least the Braves are having a good start to the 2018 season with highlights to be proud of, including winning the first 3-series to have a winning record so far along with ESPN pre-game stats still showing Braves being 1st overall total runs at 62, 1st overall Batting Avg. at .285, 8th overall ERA at 3.23.

Starting pitcher Sean Newcomb yesterday probably just had his best game of the year so far.

Braves twitter continues to post other 2018 season highlights they can be proud of . . .

Today @SeanNewk became only the third pitcher in the history of Coors Field to go 6+ IP, with no runs allowed, 9+ Ks and no walks. The others: Jon Gray in 2016 and Randy Johnson in 2007.

Third series win of the year

.@cculberson16 with the catch of the season!

The #Braves have scored 56 times this season to set a modern-era franchise record for the first seven games of a season. The previous high was 53 by the 2006 club and the 1900 Boston Beaneaters.

.@FreddieFreeman5 has reached multiple times in all seven games this season, tied for the longest such season-opening streak in Atlanta franchise history. Jerry Royster also had a seven-game run to start 1978.

Preston Tucker is the 1st player in @Braves franchise history to hit a 3-run HR (or GS) in the 1st inning of consecutive games

Tonight’s game marked the most runs scored by the #Braves since 15 on May 2, 2012 (15-13 win over Philadelphia).

The Braves collected 19 hits and 15 runs tonight, both team records for @SunTrustPark.

Tonight @RFlaherty3 became just the third third baseman in Atlanta franchise history to score four runs and collect four hits in a game, joining Chipper Jones (1995, 2000, 2001) and Terry Pendleton (1991).

21-year-old @albiesozzie97 drove a 1-1, 8th-inning pitch over the wall in left-center field yesterday and over the last 110 seasons, only two infielders younger than Albies homered on Opening Day: Robin Yount (19 years, 204 days) and Orlando Cepeda (20 years, 210 days).

That blast from Nick Markakis was the first #OpeningDay walk-off home run in Atlanta franchise history!

.@FreddieFreeman5 is set to make his 8th consecutive #OpeningDay start today, which extends his Atlanta record for a first baseman & ties the modern era franchise record.

Since 1900, only Fred Tenney (9) and Joe Adcock started 8 openers at first base for the Braves.

26be.png

atlantabraves2018.png

:bounce:

red neck richie

My boss and I have a running bet. I say they wont finish over 500. I've won a sub sandwich for the last 2 years. This year will make three in a row. Baseball is all about pitching and timely hitting. I don't think we have the roster to do either for 162 games. I remember when we use to spend money and go out and get good free agents like Maddux, McGriff, Sheffield, Pendleton. We don't spend money anymore on players only on stadiums.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I do not think they have a chance of finishing over 500, and after following the Braves for all their years in Atlanta, and way back to 1957 when the won the World series in Milwaukee, I have not watched a single inning this year. Was not a big fan of Ted Turner, but at least he would put out the money to get talent and retain it.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
My boss and I have a running bet. I say they wont finish over 500. I've won a sub sandwich for the last 2 years. This year will make three in a row. Baseball is all about pitching and timely hitting. I don't think we have the roster to do either for 162 games. I remember when we use to spend money and go out and get good free agents like Maddux, McGriff, Sheffield, Pendleton. We don't spend money anymore on players only on stadiums.

you baiting your boss in for the kill :pop: ::gone:

biggdogg

I believe they do crack the .500 barrier this season. I'm also hopeful that when there is a substantial amount of payroll after the season, they go after an ace (Kershaw... one can only hope...) and an upgrade at catcher.

Patriot44

Banned

They had a jam up farm system back then too. Farming is just as if not more important than pitching.

That is what they have been working on for two seasons. We see the fruit this year and your boss is asking for extra mustard.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
During these several years/seasons of rebuilding, I'm intentionally keeping my Braves expectations low to avoid long ongoing disappointments.

They have been "rebuilding" since about 2004. "Wait til next year" got old after about the 5th year of "rebuilding".

Status
Not open for further replies.