2018 Braves

Status
Not open for further replies.

BornToHuntAndFish

Fine defensive pitching shutout win, unlike the previous game's disappointing bullpen performance. Thank God for Culberson scoring his HR for the win.

Culberson, Newcomb lead Braves to 1-0 win: 6/16/18

Time = 2:13

Published on June 16, 2018

Daily Recap: Sean Newcomb threw six shutout innings and Charlie Culberson hit a solo home run to lead the Braves to a 1-0 win

Braves highlight tweets:

Tonight marked @SeanNewk's sixth start this season without allowing a run. That is the most such starts in the majors, one

“I guess it is okay to hit home runs early in the game too.”

—@Braves outfielder Charlie Culberson reacts to his 6th inning home run and the team win tonight

Today's attendance of 41,916 is the largest in @SunTrustPark history! Thank you Braves Country!

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/mike-foltynewicz-placed-on-10-day-dl-by-braves/c-281523968

Braves place Folty on DL, activate Teheran

i

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Nice win for the Braves. It may be worth considering rotating the 6 starting pitchers on a 10-day Disable List to rejuvenate their arms which seems to have helped Teheran recharge his performance & along with helping Soroka. Good having Camargo & Flowers delivering the scoring with 2 RBI's each. Glad Suzuki is going to be OK after injury with the backswing of a bat.

Teheran tosses 6 no-hit innings in return: 6/17/18

Published on June 17, 2018

Daily Recap: Jorge Camargo's two-run double put the Braves up early, backing Julio Teheran's six no-hit innings in his return for the win

Braves highlight tweets:

Over the #Braves’ last 11 home games, the starting rotation owns a 1.00 ERA (8 ER/72.0 IP) and no starter has allowed more than two runs over this streak, which began on May 30 vs. New York (NL) with 7.0 innings of two-run ball by @Julio_Teheran.

.@Julio_Teheran recorded his ninth career double-digit strikeout game and became the second #Braves pitcher to strike out 11 in a game this season.

.@Julio_Teheran went 6.0 no-hit innings today to become the sixth Atlanta pitcher to not allow a hit in a start of at least 6.0 innings and he became just the second Atlanta pitcher to strike out double digits in a no-hit outing.

.@Julio_Teheran loves his dad.
He is 4-0 with a 0.00 ERA and 31 Ks in 4 career starts on #FathersDay.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/kurt-suzuki-cleared-to-play-after-blow-to-head/c-281650528

Suzuki avoids serious injury after being hit by bat

Tests reveal catcher did not sustain concussion; available to play Tuesday

Last edited:

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
After not watching 5 games all last year I'm starting to pay attention to this team. They have a nice blend of solid veterans and some great young talent. Hoping it is still interesting come September. Go Braves!

Patriot44

Banned
If yall think that this year is fun, wait until next year, and the year after. The Bravo's paid the dues, built a fantastic farm system and the payoff is finally happening.

These boys are fun to watch!

biggdogg

Yes they are fun to watch. And with the likes of Austin Riley, Christian Pache and Kolby Allard on the horizon, the future looks that much brighter.

BornToHuntAndFish

Fun win with the Braves bats busting out for double digit runs (11) & hits (14).

Braves offense erupts in 11-4 victory: 6/19/18

Published on June 19, 2018

Daily Recap: Five different Braves tallied RBIs, including Johan Camargo who launched a grand slam to open the scoring in the 11-4 victory

http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=380619114

Box Score:

J. Camargo ATL - 3B
4-5, HR, 2B, 5 RBI

E. Inciarte ATL - CF
3-4, 2 2B, 3 RBI

2nd-inning - Camargo homered to left (413 feet), Suzuki, Culberson and Inciarte scored.

4th-inning - Culberson homered to left (396 feet).

:fine:

Last edited:

DannyW

Like others here, I have been cautiously optimistic about this team. In the back of my mind, based on decades of experience watching the Braves, I have this nagging fear that eventually the clock is going to strike midnight...it's a scenario that has happened too many times to ignore the possibility.

But these guys keep checking the boxes. Bad game or road trip and they bounce back to win 7 of the next 10...the top of the order flails and the bottom half rakes...starting pitcher struggles and the bullpen puts up zeros. They are playing like a team...when one part struggles, another part picks them up. Every night brings a new hero...no longer is it Freddy Freeman and hope.

I am still not completely convinced they are a championship caliber team...their "closer" never has a clean inning. Left field and 3rd base are still suspect. They have a lot of young unproven starters. And the bullpen is still a little thin.

But after 4 years of losing 90+ games a year this team is fun to watch again.

Coenen

This team is for real. As I have said many times, look at the teams that have successfully "Rebuilt" in recent years. This team is right on schedule. For the most part the process is over, now we're getting to see(and enjoy) the results.

As long as the front office continues to be smart, and doesn't try to rush things, they should be able to contend for years to come. My big worry is having the guys upstairs catch "One player away" fever and make a couple of short sighted moves that compromise the long term sustainability of the organization.

biggdogg

My big worry is having the guys upstairs catch "One player away" fever and make a couple of short sighted moves that compromise the long term sustainability of the organization.

From what I've read, AA has no intention of going after any big names or big trades this season. And there really isn't any financial flexibility to go after any big names until Kazmir, Gonzalez and McCarthy come off the books in November anyway. Bullpen and a top of the rotation starter seem to be the primary targets in the off season though. Of course I may have mentioned it once or twice, but if a trade is made this July, Realmuto would be one I'd like to see in a Braves uniform...

Coenen

From what I've read, AA has no intention of going after any big names or big trades this season. And there really isn't any financial flexibility to go after any big names until Kazmir, Gonzalez and McCarthy come off the books in November anyway. Bullpen and a top of the rotation starter seem to be the primary targets in the off season though. Of course I may have mentioned it once or twice, but if a trade is made this July, Realmuto would be one I'd like to see in a Braves uniform...
What would you be willing to give for him, though? You know that Flow and 'Zuk aren't going to last forever, and I don't think they've got a guy on the farm, so locking that position down long term would be good. In the mean time, I think having veteran Catchers to work with what is mostly a very young staff is clearly working to the team's advantage.

biggdogg

Yeah, I don't see Flowers playing much longer, Suzuki still could have another year or two in him if he moves into more of a back-up role. Demeritte and Pederson probably don't fit in the Braves future plans and could be considered trade possibilities. Wisler, Fried and Simms would be a couple expendable arms and heck, as bad as the Marlins pitching is, maybe they would be willing to bite on Teheran...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Like others here, I have been cautiously optimistic about this team. In the back of my mind, based on decades of experience watching the Braves, I have this nagging fear that eventually the clock is going to strike midnight...it's a scenario that has happened too many times to ignore the possibility.

This. ^ I won't be cautiously optimistic until late August. The All Star break is just around the corner and that's usually fold your tent time for the Bravos.

Coenen

Wisler, Fried and Simms would be a couple expendable arms and heck, as bad as the Marlins pitching is, maybe they would be willing to bite on Teheran...
The other guy can usually figure out who's expendable too, sort of kills the trade value of the Wislers, Simms, and Blairs of the world. I thought Fried had been pitching well with the Stripers, did I miss something?

I think that's the thing that gives me the most optimism about the team, they're good already, and they've still got big-time talent down on the farm that we haven't seen yet.

biggdogg

With some of the other arms coming (Allard, Wright, etc...) and the fact that Simms and Fried both are fly ball pitchers, I don't see them doing well at SunTrust. That place has to have pitchers that can keep the ball down. And I am by no means saying unload all four above mentioned pitchers for Realmuto...

BornToHuntAndFish

But these guys keep checking the boxes. Bad game or road trip and they bounce back to win 7 of the next 10...the top of the order flails and the bottom half rakes...starting pitcher struggles and the bullpen puts up zeros. They are playing like a team...when one part struggles, another part picks them up. Every night brings a new hero...no longer is it Freddy Freeman and hope.

I am still not completely convinced they are a championship caliber team...their "closer" never has a clean inning. Left field and 3rd base are still suspect. They have a lot of young unproven starters. And the bullpen is still a little thin.

But after 4 years of losing 90+ games a year this team is fun to watch again.

Reckon lots of us can relate to lots of what you're saying like being in between and/or unsure about the Braves in various areas. One of my favorite things about 'em is their unpredictability. Most any of the players can deliver a needed unexpected hit or run or homerun. Sure is nice now not always having to depend on Freddy to help win the game. Also, opponents will always have to be looking over their shoulder because of their proven late inning hitting & scoring game winning rallies.

Coenen

With some of the other arms coming (Allard, Wright, etc...) and the fact that Simms and Fried both are fly ball pitchers, I don't see them doing well at SunTrust.
I have more than half-joked that they needed to pay Tim Hudson whatever he wants to come back, and teach every young starter in their farm system how to throw a good sinker.

biggdogg

Huddy would make a good pitching instructor. You have a lot of bandbox stadiums in the Majors now that don't lend themselves well to pitchers that can't keep the ball down.

BornToHuntAndFish

In case you did not get these Braves updates below . . .

Braves update tweets:

The #Braves today selected the contract of OF Danny Santana from @GoStripers & placed RHP Mike Soroka on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to June 20, with right shoulder inflammation. To make room on the 40-man roster, the club transferred RHP José Ramírez to the 60-day DL.

Ronald Acuña Jr. is set to begin a rehabilitation assignment tomorrow, Friday, June 22, with Triple-A @GoStripers.

Status
Not open for further replies.