2018 Clover Thread, The Gift That Keeps On Giving

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
They all look healthy, too!!!!!!!!!!

Canuck5

Just an update ...... our clover plots are seeing a lot of traffic, as well! Have only weed wiped these plots, since they were planted last fall.

Attachments

• Jake.jpg
    Jake.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • Jake1.jpg
    Jake1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • Jake2.JPG
    Jake2.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 43

Triple C

David...Just got home from a busy weekend at the farm. Mowed all my clover and what was left of the grains. Here's a few pics of my favorite year-round food source. 1st 3 are pics from the cabin field.
IMG_0257.jpg

Cabin field looking toward cabin.jpg

Cabin field perimeter.jpg

Bean field pics after mowing yesterday. Clover is kicking it!
South end of bean field.jpg

Bean field perimeter looking north.jpg

Bean field perimeter south.jpgBean field lookingh south.jpg

davidhelmly

David...Just got home from a busy weekend at the farm. Mowed all my clover and what was left of the grains. Here's a few pics of my favorite year-round food source. 1st 3 are pics from the cabin field.
View attachment 932646

View attachment 932647

View attachment 932648

Bean field pics after mowing yesterday. Clover is kicking it!
View attachment 932649

View attachment 932650

View attachment 932651View attachment 932652
You're clover is still looking good TC!! Most of ours is overdue for mowing, I am hoping over the next couple of weekends that I can get most of it mowed, the rains that we have been getting are certainly helping things!!

gordylew

What do y'all spray to kill grasses that won't kill off the clover? Seems my pasture grasses crowd out the clover.

BCPbuckhunter

What David said, but this year I used a different surfactant. It is still a crop oil but the grass died just as fast as if it was sprayed with gly. I will look and see what it is called when I get home this evening. Normally it will take a few weeks for you to see the effects of spraying grass with clethodim but with this new surfactant it was fast.

gordylew

If I spray a half an acre area with clethodim and then mow it close to the ground could I just broadcast or do I still have to till. Being clover seed being so small?

BCPbuckhunter

What David said, but this year I used a different surfactant. It is still a crop oil but the grass died just as fast as if it was sprayed with gly. I will look and see what it is called when I get home this evening. Normally it will take a few weeks for you to see the effects of spraying grass with clethodim but with this new surfactant it was fast.
The surfactant I use is called Hot MES. That's the fastest acting Clethodim I have ever sprayed. It looked like I had used Gly.

BCPbuckhunter

If I spray a half an acre area with clethodim and then mow it close to the ground could I just broadcast or do I still have to till. Being clover seed being so small?
Yes you can spray it. wait a few weeks for it to work. Find a good chance for rain and broadcast your clover and then mow the grass down. I would go ahead and spray now to help your existing clover and wait until end of September to plant your clover. But I don't know your situation exactly and there are a lot of variable at play that only you know about.

gordylew

Went to tractor supply and asked for Clethodim and got the blank stare. Where are yall buying Clethodim?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I'm not far from you.I have enough extra to give you to cover a 1/2 acre.Pm me.

Canuck5

July first and clover is still working!
Condo stand.JPGCondo stand1.JPG

GeorgeShu

Beautiful thing you got there!
What kind of clover are we looking at there? Looks like 2 or 3 different ones, maybe some medium red and Durant and?????

My arrowleaf is about finished, hoping the medium red kicks in soon.

Canuck5

Definitely Medium Red in there, the Crimson is gone, but the White clover is Advantage Ladino, which is what's used as part of the Whitetail Institute blend. Thought I'd give that a try this year. So far, so good.

My Durana is still kicking, but the deer preference, right now is in these 3 clover blend, plots.

Attachments

• Imperial Whitetail Institute.JPG
    Imperial Whitetail Institute.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 31

Canuck5

I will add a Berseem clover to this mix, this fall, maybe to replace the Crimson, although, I suspect, I will still have lots of Crimson germinate, from years past.

Canuck5

Nope, Clethodim is grass selective herbicide. Not sure what you could use, that won't hurt the clover.