2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

Todd E

Second weekend at our club near Sandy Cross. Really struggling to find any acorns worth hunting. I have found a VERY few red oaks, a few tiny pen oaks dropping and NO white oaks. Does anyone in that area have any thing different going on in the acorn department? Our property is currently getting cut, so we did not do any food plots. Without any acorns, I feel its a shot in the dark right now. Thanks in advance for any info!
I went to a spot this evening that is not too far from Sandy Cross. White Oak acorns were falling. Red Oak acorns, too.
No need to worry about plots until October anyway.

Triple C

Florence turned out to be an almost non-event for us in the Vesta area. Didn't check rain gauge when I left yesterday but guessing it was prolly less than 1/2". Woke up to a misty rain on Sunday that had covered the ground. This has been one HOT September. Been Groundhog Day every day since 1st of September with no relief in sight! Looking forward to cooler temps hopefully showing up in Oct!

transfixer

Florence turned out to be an almost non-event for us in the Vesta area. Didn't check rain gauge when I left yesterday but guessing it was prolly less than 1/2". Woke up to a misty rain on Sunday that had covered the ground. This has been one HOT September. Been Groundhog Day every day since 1st of September with no relief in sight! Looking forward to cooler temps hopefully showing up in Oct!

I was hoping for some rain out that way, I didn't make the trip this weekend because they were calling for rain Saturday evening late and most of Sunday, Maybe we got some on our end of the county? at least I'm hoping, that place has been dry as a desert lately !

Buford_Dawg

Got our foodplots in at our Sandy Cross club on Sunday. Hoping for some rain this week and get them kick started. Camp is all set up. Looking forward to a wonderful fall in the OC woods again. Hogs are everywhere, so I am thinking my chances are better for pork than deer this season, LOL.

Arrow3

These things are taking over. Me and a buddy were working on a feeder and here they came... Foolish me didnt have a gun with me.

Arrow3

Got our foodplots in at our Sandy Cross club on Sunday. Hoping for some rain this week and get them kick started. Camp is all set up. Looking forward to a wonderful fall in the OC woods again. Hogs are everywhere, so I am thinking my chances are better for pork than deer this season, LOL.
We are planting ours this Saturday.

Triple C

Son planted this past Monday ahead of 80% chance of rain. We ended up with 0.04" of rain. Not much more than a sprinkle. None since but each day shows better than 50% chance for next few days. Planted 100 lbs of abruzzi rye, 100 lbs of winter wheat, 100 lbs of buck forage oats, 100 lbs of fall mix and 5 lbs of daikon radish. Will plant more clover mid Oct. Planted with 200 lbs per acre of 19-19-19. Fertilizer is our biggest expense. Had planned to wait until October to plant but rain forecast this week made us go early. Hope the forecast is right.
Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 4.46.40 AM.png

red neck richie

Son planted this past Monday ahead of 80% chance of rain. We ended up with 0.04" of rain. Not much more than a sprinkle. None since but each day shows better than 50% chance for next few days. Planted 100 lbs of abruzzi rye, 100 lbs of winter wheat, 100 lbs of buck forage oats, 100 lbs of fall mix and 5 lbs of daikon radish. Will plant more clover mid Oct. Planted with 200 lbs per acre of 19-19-19. Fertilizer is our biggest expense. Had planned to wait until October to plant but rain forecast this week made us go early. Hope the forecast is right.
View attachment 944117
Did yall get rain today TC?

Arrow3

Rained pretty good for less then 10 minutes this afternoon here. I'm about 4 minutes from Triple C's land.

Hughy

We also got a good rain yesterday evening. I saw it coming on the radar so I got all my seed in the ground just in time. I got soaked before getting the tractor back to the barn.
Also killed this little fella yesterday crossing Smokey road, of all places. Someone forgot to tell him rattle snakes never cross hwy 78. Guess the old myth doesn’t hold true anymore.

Attachments

• F46D1CF9-2FCA-4CE3-9E6C-B498DA1DE633.jpeg
    F46D1CF9-2FCA-4CE3-9E6C-B498DA1DE633.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 22

Todd E

We also got a good rain yesterday evening. I saw it coming on the radar so I got all my seed in the ground just in time. I got soaked before getting the tractor back to the barn.
Also killed this little fella yesterday crossing Smokey road, of all places. Someone forgot to tell him rattle snakes never cross hwy 78. Guess the old myth doesn’t hold true anymore.
Skin him out and preserve. They look great. Eat the leftovers. :0

Triple C

Beginning to think we may be cursed in the Palmetto area. Nothing more than a very light sprinkle yesterday afternoon and a little mist this morning.

red neck richie

Went up to the oc this weekend. We did have some rain last week but not near enough. Just enough to keep the plots from burning up but not enough to flourish. At least it was a little cooler this weekend but the humidity was still high.

transfixer

Went to the club yesterday to check cameras , looked like the Besthesda rd area got a little rain last Thurs, but could use some more.

Buford_Dawg

WTG Brandon, so did or did we not get alot of rain in Sandy Cross / Glades / Palmetto areas. I was at the beach on 30A and was watching on my cell phone what I thought was some heavy rain across OC on Thursday and Friday. Am I mistaken?