2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

Buford_Dawg

What a difference in weekends for our camp. Hardly any deer seen at our place. Did not even hear a gunshot all day Saturday in the Sandy Cross area. I doubt I can say that I have never heard a shot on the 2nd saturday of rifle season. And only 4 guns fired this AM. Oh well, deer were falling somewhere as FireTower had the bucks and hogs stacked there last evening. What a site. Business was good. I think the fact we are not baiting with corn may be having some affect on us. Neighbors are and it may get noticeable here shortly.

Triple C

Great weekend in OC! Arrived late afternoon on Thursday and woke to a steady all day rain Friday morn. Decided to go sit over a plot we call the hour glass. It's located a couple hundred yards north of a swamp amongst mature pines and always has deer meandering thru the pines in and out of the plot. Got a double Millennium ladder stand with the optional hood on it so it was t he perfect stand to sit for a drizzling morning. Saw 5 deer on the sit - young bucks and one decent buck that got a pass. This is a pano of my view from the stand. Didn't hold the camera steady so shooting rail looks a bit weird in pic. Rain gonna help the wheat n oats come in nice over the next few days.
IMG_0028.jpg

Dropped by the Sandy Cross Hilton (aka Buford Dawg's camping spot), after lunch on Saturday. Those boys got it going on with that campsite. Manicured is best way to describe it. Saturday afternoon I headed to our lower plot and busted deer out going in. Went ahead and climbed in stand and within 20 minutes had a couple come out basically underneath me...little spike and his buddy. They never left the plot till I left just before dark. Grandson was on the north end of plot and had deer on him as well. All got a pass.
IMG_0064.jpg

Lots of deer around this year. It's been 2 years since we've taken a buck from the property. Got a couple of mature bucks on camera so hoping one of us connects in the coming weeks. Prime time is just around the corner. Best of luck to all OC hunters!

Arrow3

I may need to hire Todd Edwards to come eradicate my hogs ?

Triple C

A double millennium w/ hood....sounds down right luxurious :bounce:
jbird...You right! When it's raining it's luxurious to have that canopy over you. That stand has been on the same tree since the fall of 2012. And more bucks taken from that stand than any other stand on the property since 2012. Added the canopy last year. Those pines were planted in 1990 and have been thinned 3 times. Don't think I'll ever clear cut that section below the stand. Lots and lots of browse among the pines. Bucks cruise it regularly during the rut checking the plot for doe.

Buford_Dawg

Great weekend in OC! Arrived late afternoon on Thursday and woke to a steady all day rain Friday morn. Decided to go sit over a plot we call the hour glass. It's located a couple hundred yards north of a swamp amongst mature pines and always has deer meandering thru the pines in and out of the plot. Got a double Millennium ladder stand with the optional hood on it so it was t he perfect stand to sit for a drizzling morning. Saw 5 deer on the sit - young bucks and one decent buck that got a pass. This is a pano of my view from the stand. Didn't hold the camera steady so shooting rail looks a bit weird in pic. Rain gonna help the wheat n oats come in nice over the next few days.
View attachment 947341

Dropped by the Sandy Cross Hilton (aka Buford Dawg's camping spot), after lunch on Saturday. Those boys got it going on with that campsite. Manicured is best way to describe it. Saturday afternoon I headed to our lower plot and busted deer out going in. Went ahead and climbed in stand and within 20 minutes had a couple come out basically underneath me...little spike and his buddy. They never left the plot till I left just before dark. Grandson was on the north end of plot and had deer on him as well. All got a pass.
View attachment 947342

Lots of deer around this year. It's been 2 years since we've taken a buck from the property. Got a couple of mature bucks on camera so hoping one of us connects in the coming weeks. Prime time is just around the corner. Best of luck to all OC hunters!
Some day soon, I am going to make it over to your place and get a tour. Pictures look great. I am sure you and your family will harvest a big one over there this year.

jbird1

jbird...You right! When it's raining it's luxurious to have that canopy over you. That stand has been on the same tree since the fall of 2012. And more bucks taken from that stand than any other stand on the property since 2012. Added the canopy last year. Those pines were planted in 1990 and have been thinned 3 times. Don't think I'll ever clear cut that section below the stand. Lots and lots of browse among the pines. Bucks cruise it regularly during the rut checking the plot for doe.

Pretty spot too....has all the ingredients for success. We don't have many turn key type stands like that where you can roll in for the last hour if need be and stay relatively undetected. Nice work!

jbird1

The weather gods are setting the stage for Chamber of Commerce type weather for the weekend with the cold front pushing through on Thursday. All hands on deck. We'll have a waning crescent moon that will be overhead between 9-11 am Fri-Sun. On our place in NE Oglethorpe, this is typically the peak of the pre-rut and chances are good to see some chasing. I'd love for somebody to lay big boy down early on Saturday and cheer on the Dawgs to an SEC East Championship that afternoon. Mentally, I'm already in camp. Good luck and God's speed to everyone this weekend.

transfixer

The weather gods are setting the stage for Chamber of Commerce type weather for the weekend with the cold front pushing through on Thursday. All hands on deck. We'll have a waning crescent moon that will be overhead between 9-11 am Fri-Sun. On our place in NE Oglethorpe, this is typically the peak of the pre-rut and chances are good to see some chasing. I'd love for somebody to lay big boy down early on Saturday and cheer on the Dawgs to an SEC East Championship that afternoon. Mentally, I'm already in camp. Good luck and God's speed to everyone this weekend.

My thoughts as well, I plan on getting to camp by lunchtime Friday, just have a couple more days of work to get through, good luck to all !

Steven037

I concur. Can’t wait to get back out this weekend. Got a nice yote Sunday but no bucks worth shooting. Saw 12 Saturday afternoon, 5 Sunday morning and 5 Sunday night. My son had 4 does Saturday afternoon in the food plot he was on and 18 different deer Sunday in the same food plot, but no shooters. This weekend looks to be good and hopefully we will put some does down.

transfixer

Headed to the OC now, hoping the cool,clear weather tomorrow will mean good movement, and I'd just as soon put pork in the freezer , as I would venison, probably even moreso , cause we're still trying to get the population built back up around our area.
Good luck to all !

Latest posts